Confused about how I feel and what I should do?

I have been friends with this guy for a while now. We became really close when he was in a relationship with another girl. And even though he had a girlfriend he'd text me everyday and we would talk the whole day. We also hung out a lot on weekends because we're a part of the same circle of friends. After a while I started realizing that I have a crush on him. It was like whenever I went out with our friends and he was not there I would actual be upset about it (never making it known to anyone). Anyway after a while he broke up with his girlfriend and a week later he confessed to me that he liked me. I did not know how to react? I mean I've been crushing on him for a while and now that he actually liked me just confused me. Just then I did not know how I felt about him anymore. He wanted us to be in a relationship but I told him I'm not going to be in a relationship if I'm not sure how I felt and he should just gibe me some time. After a while my confusion did not really go away so I told him it's better if we just stay friends. But every time we see each other there is this unsolved feeling between us. We also flirt a lot and have these inside jokes that make the friendship feel like it's more than just a friendship. Every time I spend time with him I actually start liking him and want to be with him the whole time, but as soon as we part ways I feel confused again. Another reason for me not wanting to date him was because we differ a lot, we have different opinions about almost anything and that sometimes causes us to argue. I am really not sure what to do about this? Is it better to just be friends or should I just take a chance? I also do not want to lose him as a friend because I actually really do care a lot about him.
Confused about how I feel and what I should do?
Add Opinion