Why is the Hijab seen as oppressive?

Every Muslim woman I've ever asked has said she wears the Hijab by choice.
And that she's not doing it for her Father, her Husband or brother but for God.

Isn't it hypocritical if you think it's oppression while you see nuns as devout?
Why is the Hijab seen as oppressive?

129

Most Helpful Girl

• The comparison with nuns is nonsense. Becoming a nun is not about an article of clothing; it's a decision to cloister oneself, in chastity, for one's entire earthly life.

Also, just as obviously, ADULT women become nuns. Women do not start wearing the hijab as adults.

Consider:
    Amish society is pretty fucked up. Not only does it reject modernity, technology and so forth, but it's also full of incest and abuse.
    Amish kids also have a period of 'freedom' called "Rumspringa", around age 14-16, during which they can freely leave. THEY CAN LEAVE. MOST DON'T. Most of them return to a society in which abuse, poverty and incest are endemic.
    Because they know nothing else.
    They THINK they are making a "decision" to stay.
    But are they?
    Are they REALLY making a decision?
    Or did they just grow up brainwashed?

--

See, the Amish example is clear-cut. The Amish 16-year-olds "choosing" to stay, after Rumspringa, are obviously NOT really making an informed decision. They have no real choice; they have no real ability to function in the outside world. If they leave, they have nowhere to go.

The nun example is just as clear-cut, the other way.
    Nuns grew up in modernity. The average nun is well into adulthood when she chooses to become a nun. Clearly, a fully informed decision.

The problem is that the hijab example is exactly halfway in between, so it's NOT clear cut.
    Usually, Muslim girls start wearing the hijab around puberty. It's not adulthood, but it's also not super-young childhood. Do they understand what is happening? It's very, very hard to say.
    When they "choose" to wear the hijab, how much of that choice is theirs and truly theirs? How much of it is just what they were told? How much of it is just the fear of being exiled from the community?

And of course it's not the same from woman to woman.

And the hijab doesn't mean the same thing from woman to woman, either.

It's complicated.

But it is definitely stupid to try to compare the hijab to a nun's habit.

Most Helpful Guy

• You are comparing an married women to an nun? it's both hypocritical for married women to pretend to be an nun, and nuns are quite rare while married women are very common, also muslims are actually killing and/or raping women that didn't wear hijab, so they are not really have an choice.

www.jihadwatch.org/.../islamic-state-stones-five-women-to-death-for-not-wearing-the-veil

• I said Muslim women, not all Muslim women are married.
      There are single Muslims...

Killing and rape are against Islam, these so-called Muslims you speak of are criminals.

Buddhist monks are killing innocent Muslims women and children in Burma but that doesn't mean Buddhism allows murder.

• img.pandawhale.com/...ess-gif-NOPE-robert-zNif.gif
      Both married and single women can be Muslim. All Muslims and women for that matter start their life out as single.

Where in the Quran does it command the state to kill "apostates"?
      Let me repeat that word " apostates "!

Jihad you say?
      islamicsupremecouncil.org/.../...t-from-islam.html

• I mean among married muslim women, as I said before, I had seen many muslim women that was going without hijab while they was single, and start wearing it after they get married, must likely because of much pressure from their husband.

What Girls Said 11

• I agree. They do it for God, but it's because their God says it is shameful for a woman to be uncovered because it would tempt men. It's about being hyper-modest. When a woman will be treated badly or be attacked for having her hair showing, that's a problem.

• Both men and women have to cover, though women of course cover more.
      It's not only because of temptation. Muslim women have to cover, or be in a state of modesty when praying or reading the Quran.

Assaulting someone is forbidden in Islam. If a woman shows her hair that's her business, its between her and God. It's not from Islam to attack them.

• No, my point is that Islam, and almost every single other religion, is inherently oppressive towards women. But actually wearing a veil makes the oppression more apparent as opposed to only being treated like a second class citizen or like you aren't as good.

• I applaud you for trying.

But in future use your own words instead of plagiarizing someone else's.
      And don't quote something you have no knowledge on.

• It's not hypocritical, because nuns can choose to wear their robes or not. Those women are not allowed to take the hijab off in many places.

Of course, there are some who love wearing it. The issue is that in plenty of places, those women do not have the choice. They're forced to wear it. Think of a woman who hates wearing it and yet is forced to do something she doesn't want---horrible. I would feel trapped.

I think they should be given a choice.

• If an individual person is forced, it's oppressive. If they chose to, it's not. Simple as that. I know many women who love wearing hijab. I am a muslim woman who chooses not to. My cousin wore hijab because her parents told her she had to. After she turned 18, she took it off. Her parents are fine with her decision. People need to stop looking at everything so black and white.

• I think it's ignorant either way, but that's just because I don't care for any religions at all.

Wear you want, just cover yourself in public please. Or if you're sexy, then dont😉

• hiiiiiii. I am a muslim girl but unfortunately i don't wear the hijab and all my family women do :( and I'm sad about it. yes this is true muslim women do it for Allah (God) . Now in the 2 pictures you can see that christianity and Islam are almost the same religion but the difference is that muslim people practice it while christians don't (the majority). bcz even Marry herself WORE the Hijab. PS : I will wear the Hijab oneday Inshallah.

• I had some Muslim friends who wore it for some time, but then decided to not wear it anymore so that makes me believe it is just a choice. I don't see it a s oppressive at all :)

• In fact, I was one of those people who thought it was required until they informed me

• Because the islam was never truly accepted. It being one of the newest religions, the other religions made it seem bad. Luckily my best friend is muslim so I know a lot about it now!

• bravoo that is the argument I always give people.

• They are both being oppressed. I've never met anyone who thinks one is right and not the other...

• ... I feel like they both can be oppressed or not, depending on circumstances. They're both being pressured by religion and society to dress a certain way. If they like what they're being pressured to wear and would want to wear it even if the pressure wasn't there, great! They have every right to wear it. But if they're only wearing it because their family or society would disapprove of them if they didn't... that would be oppressive.

• Well because they're taught that it's not like they were born and up until a certain age they decided on their own to wear it. It's apart of their religion.

Although it's apart of nuns religion also nuns were once little girls and young ladies they had a choice to wear them and they decided on their own to become a nun or to even be religious.

You know some Muslim females don't even wear hijabs and they're religious but that's more so in America. Although many of them are happy to wear them they never were given an option where they live. They'll be punished if they remove it and sometimes they even have to cover their face.

Now I'm not trying to put their religion down I'm just trying to explain the difference.

What Guys Said 8

• It's oppressive to be forced into it.
    Many women are forced into whether you have met them or not.
    If you wear it by choice then it is not.
    It's not the garment itself that is doing the oppressing.

• I agree - People are quite hysterical about the hijab - Maybe if they asked for it to be a garment of choice they would seem more reasonable

• You make a VERY good point !

• women wearing hijab dont get too close or touch men even for a simple handshake thats why its oppressive ( also some a lot are forced ) but hey i dont decide who wear what i just avoid people who i dont feel are good

• I don't know about it being oppressive but it does look silly regardless who it's worn by.

• For starters, Christian women are not FORCED to dress like nuns. Nuns do that by CHOICE. In strict Islamic countries, ALL women are FORCED to cover up.

• Yes, they dress similarly so they must be the same in all ways. Got it.

• Oppressed people often aren't aware of their oppression. They may even enforce it upon themselves because it's what they are familiar with. Or they may believe they deserve it... because they've been told so.