Why do people tear each other apart over their political beliefs?

Guitarwizard7
After the 2016 election all I could ever hear from people was "if you voted for Donald Trump unfriend me now" or "stupid libtards are so stupid". Why is it when it comes to politics there is like this massive void that grows between everyone? We all aren't that different from each other whether we are conservative or liberal so why do we act like there's this huge divide just because we are both on the other side of the aisle from each other? Why do people talk so hatefully and cruelly to each other just because they hold different views? Even when I try to have just an open and honest discussion with people over the issues, it almost always devolves into pointless name-calling and baseless accusations. All I have ever wanted to do is to just be able to talk with my fellow man and be able to share what I know and maybe learn new things from others but it never seems to end up that way. Instead, I always find myself having to defend myself from vitriolic verbal abuse for simply stating my own opinion.
0
8