Do you believe you have the right to protect your home?

Watch the video. This guy made the choice of going into this woman's home.

• You have the right to protect your home
  • You shouldn't use force to protect your home and let criminals come and go as they please.
Select a gender to cast your vote:

425

Most Helpful Guy

• "How he was raised in the hood." Lmao what a fucking joke. Little Trevon could have gotten a fucking job for getting his money. Tired of this dumb ass ghetto bullshit, but when they be commit drive bys shootings, slang drugs and wage gang warfare guns are ok. Homeowners defending themselves and their own property inside their homes is "way beyond the law." I'm glad we have his relatives, with all of their expert legal advise and hood philosophies to properly guide society in the right direction. I would have fucking shot him too. One less of them, it reduces crime and bottom feeders from society who are too lazy or too stupid to work.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, you have a right to protect your home. Was she right to shoot him while he was climbing out the window? I don't know about that.

I'll tell you whats fucking annoying as all hell through.

"He wasn't supposed to die like that, he had goals, always smiling, getting an education."

Moral of the story folks. Don't break in peoples houses and you won't get shot for breaking in people's houses.

Doesn't matter if the homeowner was right or wrong dead is dead.

• The other moral, if you are a gun owner make sure you shoot them while they are facing you so be prepared and get the bead on em sooner.

• 'How else he gonna get his money?'

• That woman... whoever she is... is a disgusting person... I think that was his sister so now we know the parents are to blame

What Guys Said 24

• You have the right to protect yourself and your property. You can use physical force to protect property. You can use deadly force to protect yourself. Most states in the US legally give you that right, but there are variations on the details.

There is not enough information on this particular case. If the guy was crawling out the window and was no threat to the homeowner, she should not have shot him. If she legitimately felt threatened, then I think it was justified.

We will probably never know what really happened. Regardless, I don't feel bad for the guy. He took a chance breaking into somebody's home, and the dice didn't roll in his favor.

• I would have done the same thing. How do you know if he might come back? Or there could have been more. She did the right thing. If he hadn't made the decision to rob here... he wouldn't be dead. He made that decision.

• Oh I'm scared! Do you think I give a flying fuck? Too late anyway. You already read it.

• You are sad.

• Glad this ended with the young man dying instead of an old woman getting beaten or raped. Yes, that does happen. Which is exactly why you need to protect the innocent citizens and make decisions to live in a society that penalizes criminal acts rather than seeking to just "understand" the hard lives of people. Everyone goes through shit. Not everyone leads a life a crime in response to it.

• Absolutely. The woman had every right to protect her home, even if that means getting blood on her hands. The burglar could also have broke into her house armed with a dangerous weapon. And what are you gonna do it you didn't have the right to protect your home? Well, you'd most likely be murdered before the police even showed up.

The burglar's family are just bitter who will not accept responsibility of his upbringing, because they know they had failed him. I love how they described him as having a "bright future"... Well, it's not gonna be so bright when you start committing crime and having to pay the price.

• I think you have the right to protect yourself. I think you have the right to stand between an intruder and your belongings and use force if they are advancing on you, or if they continue to maintain a threatening demeanor.

Neither of those applied here. She shot him in the back while he was fleeing. If we take away the 'protect the home' element and imagine he'd simply been in an altercation with her where she'd been threatened, if she'd shot in self defense, would that be legal? Definitely. If you have a fight with someone and then shoot them down as they run... yeah not so much.

• He made that choice when he broke into her house.

• I'm asking if she could have shot him a day later?

Look I support self defence and I take a very -broad- view of it. But self defence doesn't include vigilante justice. So I'm very prepared to accept "I was threatened by an intruder and shot them". I'm not prepared to accept "someone robbed me so the next day I went to their house and shot them and took my stuff back". I'd probably even accept "they were taking my property so I shot to incapacitate without the intention to kill to prevent them escaping with it".

This case was pushing the bounds of the latter case to me. Where do you draw a line or would you say it's fine to go shoot someone to retrieve your things?

• No... if that was the case she could have called the police and had him picked up. But it is not the case. He could have came back in the house. You dont know about people... I would have dont the same thing.

• You have rights to defend your home the kid decided his life was worth losing when he broke into an unknown woman's house if he didn't want to die he should've thought about that before breaking into her house

• She had the right to protect her home same as anyone. Just another thug whos parents didn't teach him right from wrong.

• in the state of Kansas where I live. if you cross the threshold of my home and I don't want you there I have the right to shoot to kill. we have very few home invasions here because of that. it's worse if you're not in a city, but in an rural area, because that's expanded to the property line rather than the home

• Either you have the right to protect yourself and your home, or criminals have a right to kill/rape/rob you.

• Another dindu

• I've responded to a stranger in my home armed, of coarse you should be able to defend your home. If you don't want to be hurt, don't come into my home...

• How is he going to get his $$$ for clothes being raised in the hood?
    By getting a damn job and working for them like normal, decent people do,
    Call 911 ? In Miami? Your grand kids would be draft age before they appeared. I lived in Miami for a time and I've seen this far too often.

• Many , if not most , burglars / intruders intend to cause harm as well as steal , have KO'd a scumbag on my property & stood on him until the police collected him , never had a problem ever again !! All firearms & most weapons are illegal in the UK for civilians , so these are not an option.

• Hell yes!
    Anyone who enters my home uninvited will end up being eaten by wild animals, somewhere on my rural property.

• Everyone has that right. Except if it's your country. Then you are a bigot, if you do.

• Someone comes into my house, odds are they're leaving in a body bag.

• You're home is the only Safe Space you're entitled to.
    So I think you have the right to protect it with every means possible.
    I think American houses are most crappy built.
    Crappy locks, doors, and drywalls. You'd be more safe in a cardboard box.
    Then you should at least have the right to shoot every uninvited guest.

• Yes, including from the police.

• You have the rights to protect your home.

• That's what they get for trespassing. And it's fully righteous.

• "he had a future" I have never laughed so hard in my laugh.

• Beat there ass!

• Yes I do she did the right thing

• Yes but you would have to get passed the electric fence the dogs my security guards and my nuclear explosives proof door before it became my problem

• The wire is not a problem not is the dogs. I would break through your nuclear proof door I'd just knock down the wall it's hanging on which is weaker.

• @Iraqveteran666 the walls are 3 meter thick military grade concrete and reinforced with 1 inch thick solid steal grid

• Just a matter undermining them and some semtex

What Girls Said 3

• Yes I do. I'd use force.

If someone broke into my home I'd have no idea what kind of mindset they had . So I'd do whatever it takes to protect my family and myself from any potential harm.

I have no compassion a burglar who is killed by the house owner.

The homeowner doesn't know the intentions of the perpetrator , and doesn't know their capabilities.

• I'll protect my home and shoot anyone who disagrees with my right to protect my home.

• Yeah of course, I always have a gun with me. I would rather them get hurt than me, i'm where i'm supposed to be, they're not.