Should the Korean demilitarized zone be renamed the militarized zone?

Cause its the most militarized border in the world.

318

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes. That name males no sense dang it.

Most Helpful Guy

• It doesn't matter what you call it. It still is what it is. I've heard that the North Koreans are allowed to have 50 troops in the zone at any given time, and we are allowed 50 troops in the zone as well, but supposedly the North Koreans push the envelope and always try putting more than 50 in.

What Girls Said 2

• no, it could be renamed "dead man zone"

• It started to be called that after the war because it was a zone in which North and South met but were not actively trying to fight each other, and they are still not in an active battle. I understand why DMZ might be a confusing term, but who is stationed there, both sides, plus some Americans, are security forces rather than battle forces. That's a complex idea to get across so DMZ is simpler, in the way that US armed forces jargon is, for the people who use it.

My cousin resigned his Army commission in Korea at the DMZ and then joined the next National Guard unit that was due to be sent to the Persian Gulf, because he wanted to see action. The Army felt that after paying for him to get his Master's at Harvard, he was too valuable to be sent where his ass was going to get shot off.

• What do you mean after the war? I thought it never actually ended.

• @killjoy2017 When two sides retreat back to their side and manage not to fight each other for this long, I think it is not unreasonable to say the war has ended. Though I entirely acknowledge there is still conflict, and very much a risk of resumption of aggressions.

• Ja I was being pedantic, I read somewhere that they have never really signed any treaty to end the war. But I understand what you mean.

What Guys Said 17

• A demilitarized zone, DMZ or DZ is an area in which treaties or agreements between nations, military powers or contending groups forbid military installations, activities or personnel. A DMZ often lies along an established frontier or boundary between two or more military powers or alliances. A DMZ may sometimes form a de facto international border,
    Many demilitarized zones are considered neutral territory because neither side is allowed to control it, even for non-combat administration. Some zones remain demilitarized after an agreement has awarded control to a state which (under the DMZ terms) had originally ceded its right to maintain military forces in the disputed territory. It is also possible for powers to agree on the demilitarization of a zone without formally settling their respective territorial claims, enabling the dispute to be resolved by peaceful means such as diplomatic dialogue or an international court
    The Korean Demilitarized Zone is a strip of land running across the Korean Peninsula. It is established by the provisions of the Korean Armistice Agreement to serve as a buffer zone between the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (North Korea) and the Republic of Korea (South Korea). The Demilitarized zone (DMZ) is a border barrier that divides the Korean Peninsula roughly in half. It was created by agreement between North Korea, China and the United Nations in 1953. The DMZ is 250 kilometres (160 miles) long, and about 4 kilometres (2.5 miles) wide.

• DMZ means no military within the zone.

So you can't park your forces in it. However, that doesn't mean you will overlook it because the other guy won't.

That means you park all your forces right outside of the zone to be ready when it stops being DMZ and just and regular death match area. Probably aim at the other guy and zero in your bombs and nukes and artilleries to the DMZ.

It's the DMZ until one side decided it's no longer worth the charades.

• A demilitarized zone means that nobody is allowed to move troops into it. If any side did, it would be considered an attack and treated as such. It is demilitarized in that both armies have been moved out of it, and are forbidden from reentering it.

• It is actually demilitarized: no troops are allowed to move into it. It has actually become quite a nature reserve and hosts some rare bird species, because humans stay out of it.

• Isn't the demilitarized zone a very small zone between the two countries where only civilians exist and no military what so ever is present?

• You want to decrease not increase the tension.

• I think it should be named something with a bit more Pa-Zazz.

Like Tartarus..
    .. or Victoria's Secret..

• it's called the demilitarized zone because there's a space in between the two opposing forces and that space is the demilitarized zone what happens before and after that so is where it is militarized

• Wonder what Col. Potter and Lt. Col. Henry Blake would think about this..

• rip Henry Blake😢😢😭😭

• @mrmeseeks I was 7 when I seen the final episode and cried. I am now 40, and I still cry when I see the final episode

• that ending was pretty crazy, I cried at the end of DB GT the first time I saw it was when I was 19 it was the throw back of all the things Goku's been through over the years and It made me remember watching it on t. v every week with my brothers when I was a little kid.

• call that what you want, it don't matter. what does is the mad man in the north. the sane minds in the rest of the world knows that has to be delt with before he is capable of launching long or short range nukes. China and Russia won't say it , but they wish he would be eliminated as much as we do

• I mean why not the twilight zone. If you cross it the culture is opposite

• Probably. Unless there's a reason why they call it the "demilitarized zone" that has nothing to do with charictarization of the place

• i think they should build a theme park in between each country then they can all meet up and play on the rides together and eat ice cream.

• It deserves a name such as that

• I'm afraid yes... the region around the border must have the guns per square meter world record :o :-(

• Haha. DMZ is an absurd, Orwellian name isn't it?

• Isn't the DMZ the area between the two militaries?

• Those are border patrol and allowed under the armistice. The DMZ means demilitarized, not zero military. If it wasn't demilitarized the zone wouldn't have some border patrol shit in it. It'd be stacked with the tons of military gear that is currently not in the DMZ. Its not a hard equation to evaluate.

• @Izumiblu They do not follow the rules. They do not care about any armistice. Just look at the pictures or watch a documentary about it.

• yes.. sure..