Do you feel the art of having a meaningful and civil discussion (in general) has been lost or no?

the more I look in comment sections all across the internet, the more it seems like people aren't willing to have discussions about the topics at hand. Most people Seem to only express an idea or stance from their point of view and if someone doesn't agree they don't listen, Or worse they belittle and name call someone. I've even seen this on GaG on numerous occasions. What ever happened to the discussion of ideas? I ask this question because I recently read a question and someone had commented. Within that comment thread the OP and commentator where having a discussion but someone else came in and said for the OP to stop being rude (from only what I could tell seeing that the OP merely disagreed with said commentator).

I mean I get that its never been perfect and who knows, maybe the internet has just allowed the light to be shown on that aspect more easily since people can feel more comfortable stating their opinions behind their computer screens. It just seems like people would rather be in an echo chamber than to actually discuss ideas and listen to what others might have to say, EVEN if they disagree.

Lets take politics for instance. Sure there will definitely be things I will disagree with people on. Some of them, even if I KNOW statistically and scientifically they are wrong, still does not mean that I should not respect their right to have an opinion and view on something. All the name calling and yelling and belittle-ling in the world isn't going to get them to change their opinion, in fact it would more than likely cause them to stick to their view even more. Having meaningful, calm discussion can though.

what happened to civility? the need to understand? instead of just stamping our feet and shouting "NO I'm RIGHT!". Has the art of meaningful and civil discussion in general been lost?
+1 y
instead of calling someone a moron for their viewpoint why not say "while I see your viewpoint, here is why I have to respectfully disagree.." (not that you always have to be that formal but still).
2
2