Should serving in the military be mandatory?

Please explain why you've your opinion.

I'm talking about able bodied people and not people with disability or other conditions.
Should serving in the military be mandatory?#Military #MilitaryService #MandatoryMilitary

(This picture don't contain blood etc. so I assume the GAG community is fine with it)

• Yes (Explain why, please)
  • It should be a choice between military or alternative civilian service
  • Nobody should be forced, but they who won't join should be treated as 2nd class citizens
    Vote C
  • No. People should be allowed to decide over themselves.
    Vote D
  • Other (Explain what and why)
    Vote E

963

Most Helpful Girl

• No. No one should be forced to risk their life. And what if they don't agree with the war or what the war is for in the first place? No one wants to risk their life for a cause they don't believe in. let the people that want to fight fight. I'd rather immigrate to another country than be forced to join the military.

• I would also rather immigrate to another country than joining the military - as a pacifist. As long my country have the policy that says autistic people aren't allowed to serve I'm all good and don't need to serve. Nowadays only volunteers serves, but it certain circumstances it can change I guess. If Russia attacked Norway I'm not surprised if our country forced people to join.

• not every country has legal gins though, but fair. what about civilian service then? Seeming that keeping the home front up and running is imperative in a total war situation

• i wouldn't have a problem if these people were volunteers, but as we're talking about making it mandatory, I know that's not your angle. I still don't think that one should be forced to join or be forced to train to aide the military or other such forces. Making such courses more open to volunteers though is something I would consider. Of course there would still be some tests, but that would widen the number of individuals that could aid when need be while still allowing others to make their own decisions. although in total war, men would get drafted anyway, so it would be like forcing them. and there's nothing I can do to change that.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, I think IF you're going to have an army (which I'm critical of anyway), it makes sense to make it obligatory for everyone. I admit this is quite an infringement on personal liberty but it also holds some benefits. Most importantly, the army can be a place where people from very different backgrounds come together and work on things as a group. If you're rich, you might have a poor buddy in your troop, if you're white you might be among other races or recent immigrants, if you're from a big city you might deal with countryside folks... in some countries like Switzerland, Belgium, Canada, Ireland or Finland it can even bring together people who speak different languages. In that sense, it''s a great melting pot that can - with some luck - make many young soldiers more tolerant and understanding of otherness. This gives a society a feeling of belonging together, rather than being divided by such (mostly irrelevant) differences.

However, I also believe that civil service should be an alternative. Especially in times of peace, these types of "jobs" can be even more valuable and the social effects might be quite similar. For example one of my best friends is currently doing his (mandatory) civil service. He was ordered to work in a home for refugees and he absolutely loves the job. While most people only read about the "evil refugees" in the newspaper, he actually deals with them everyday. For example he has organized a little program where he makes cultural tours once a week. Any refugee who is interested can join the group and they visit a museum or exhibition together. For the refugees, this is really cool because they have to sit around all day and they're so bored. So he has already received a lot of good feedback and made some friends ;-). There's even a young couple from Iraq that we invited to a little garden BBQ party with some friends. They're both really great people and they speak good English. It was so nice to see them so happy... I think just sitting there with some nice people and talking/eating in a peaceful atmosphere really meant the world to them.