Why are people nowadays more obsessed with minority rights instead of individual rights?

430

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• minority rights and individuals rights encompass the same thing. people are "obsessed" with human rights.

What Girls Said 3

• minority rights is at its best a compromise of individual rights and at its worst, racism.

Minority rights is a virtue signaling approach to group rights. Group rights trump individual rights. So the children of Barack Obama actually have more rights and more group benefit than that of a poor white working family that last a primary provider in a work accident. Group rights can never achieve individual rights. Therefore they are fundamentally flawed.

• highly inaccurate. Im a minority yet couldnt get many of these rights simply because of my tax bracket of being in the top 5%. Sure, I can get a scholarship for being mixed, but there are also a lot of things I do not have or had access to because my mom made a lot of money. if you look at the disproportionate amount of people who are in ghettos, then you would understand why its swayed in that direction. Dont get me wrong though, I dont think denying white men a college degree is right simply because they have to meet a quota of other groups. Who ever deserves it deserves it.

• no, your point is to suggest its racist when these things are put in place because there are other factors and variables that you are not getting so you write it off as racist. Why are blacks more likely to get public assistance? simply look at the disproportionate rates of how many are living in poverty. can whites be poor? yes, which is also why they can get this right but have to prove it. It just so happens that when comparing per captia a lot of whites dont have access to these programs because their parents are in a certain tax braket of making 50,000 which isn't even a lot of money to begin with. Im not saying the system is perfect, but to call it racist is a bold claim. By the way, im not black so dont assume things about me or my personal character.

• ''You exist being black therefore you deserve it. You deserve nothing that you haven't earned for yourself.''

this made no sense nor did I ever say ANYTHING close to that. These programs are in place because they know that minorities such as blacks or latinos tend to come from ghettos so they put something in place called equity.

• The media (so I guess by proxy, the people) are so obsessed with PC-related issues because if the real issues going on around the world atm, such as ISIS, trump's stupidity, migrant crisis, etc. was taken as seriously as it should be, that would be way too much for most to be bothered with. So... minority rights and such are so 'popular' to pacify the masses in a sense.

• Well minorities are individuals so

What Guys Said 29

• I think a big part in explaining this has to do what has happened to the Democrat party and by extension the mainline media, academia, and much of big corporate America. All of those institutions have bought into what is known as "identity group" politics. Instead of focusing on everyone as Americans first (regardless of skin color, etc.), those institutions have an almost cult-like obsession with all these different "identity" boxes based on race, sexual orientation, etc. It's all an outgrowth of the metastasis of Political Correctness. And yet none of that really resonates with the most profound message of Dr. Martin Luther King. King famously said he wanted his daughters (and by extension everyone) to be judged "by the content of their character" and not by the color of their skin. When King said that he was appealing to Americans to focus on their fellow citizens as individuals and not as members of identity groups. It was a much more unifying message than the dice-and-slice identity division of the Left today.

• because, most people and in extension governments don't and can't micro manage. It's hard enough to run any state as a politician, do you honestly think it's possible to differ policy according to EVERY individual? No, it's a ridiculous notion. That's why policy is usually done on a wide scale, the smallest scale you can get down to are smaller groups, which tend to be minorities (i. e difference between policy on the middle class and policy on down syndrome sufferers)

if you live in a democratic country, with majority ruling, you usually leave out minority rights, which is not a good thing, at least if you're somewhat egalitarian at least. Also historically minority groups are the one's oppressed upon e. g black people in America because they used to be slaves, look different, came from 'barbaric' Africa etc. So it's easy to target groups that have a commonality (in this case, perhaps discrimination and poverty) and make a blanket regiment that covers a certain threshold in that group. Naturally these policies affect individual rights and have them in mind anyway, just on a broader scale

if you're meme was to be taken literally (using an overused ancap meme, a type of ideology that has never even materialised in human history? Yawn...) what makes you think ancapism would help individual rights anyway? They lack government, which also means they lack security and egalitarian meaures. Don't give me that 'but people will volunteer, markets will naturally stabilise by the invisible hand, people will naturally give money in to regional charities' because it's bullshit, according to human nature and observations from thousands of years of human civilisation

• The minority can't properly advocate for their individual rights thus they need help. I don't see the two as being at odds. I see them as the same actually. Saying that an individual has the right to life is the same for a bigot and a homosexual. But certain bigots happen to be in the majority, so I have to stand up to prevent them from taking that right from others.

• Excellent question.

I think those who obsess over minority rights enjoy appeared altruistic, and think they're taking the moral high ground.

But I look forward to seeing the other answers. Especially from those who take these positions themselves...

• In my opinion, minority rights exist inside individual rights, or basically the same thing. I see it more as the rights of individuals who are in the minority. I think the reason why it is discussed so much is because the nature of democracy. The majority wouldn't feel any need to express their individual rights as they are not in the 'disadvantageous' position minorities are in. The problem here is the fact that since most discussions about rights focuses on the rights of minorities, many tend to forget that it is all based from individual rights which all of us have.

• A group (even if a minority) has more influence than an individual.

• If we are speaking about the US.. it's because everything is political and politicians are notorious for segregating people into groups. This is what the LGBT community wants, this is what the whites what, this is what the hispanics want, etc. It turns people into single issue voters that become obsessed with their own movement (LGBT rights, immigration, nationalism, equality). And of course now with social media, everyone has a big voice and mainstream media loves to play on that emotion for ratings.

We would do ourselves much good to focus on core economics and constitutional rights.

• Because (((they))) want to create sorta like a weird mix of Brazil and Albania.
    As described in KGB terminology -- "useful idiots".

• @mullahstan
      We're predominantly nationalistic & preservative -- I fail to see anything wrong with that.
      Moreover, I consider such attitude as a great thing to have.

• Sjw culture is like a cult were dissenting opinions are crushed and villafied. Nearly every person can be broken off into some minority so what's the point.

• Ignorance and thinking that they're doing right, when in reality their not.

• It's like feminism in that it begins with a base assumption that on a systemic level this group is being mistreated or sleighted in some way.

• SJWs and people who somehow try to defend minority rights, are actually ruining minorities future. Things like Affirmative Actions hurt black society more than these supposedly racist people. One of the reasons that Asians are doing great is because they never had this kinda bullshit; they worked for their shit, their shit wasn't handed out to them on a golden plate.

• Because racism, sexism, islamophobia, etc. have very little to do with individual rights.

• Depends on people. As for me, I just am interested in Society, neither groups of people nor single individuals.
    I am just interested in the Economy division of people.

• Everyone's rights should be defended, including minorities. Generally speaking, majorities have the power and they don't really oppress themselves, so the focus is on the minorities.

• Because it's the new trend. There are always trends in politics. Nothing is new under the Sun. People in the past used to fight over their "honor", now people fight for minorites because they're "oppressed."

• because they want people to see them as a good person, they don't actually care

• many older white people are too used to the power the had and still can't except they don't have power of others anymore.

• I'm not smart enough to answer that question...

• I guess it depends if the right conflict what issues are you talking about?

• because not everybody thinks like you do. because you have more rights, since you're some Arab man or something.

• no i didn't. but i know that you can say shit, and people cannot say shit back, and that's normal... lol. fag.

• @ Thisdudehere wants to say this, since you blocked him before he could argue back:
      "
      "because not everybody thinks like you do"
      -Here you assume that you even know how I think.

"because you have more rights, since you're some Arab"
      -I'm nowhere near being an arab.

Thanks for blocking me."

• Because they think two wrongs make a right

• Who knows man people are confusing

• I see that I started a trend of posting anarchyball memes.

• In all honesty, I just took this from 9gag, as I do for the vast majority of my question ideas.

• this is Girls ask guys though, not 4chan...

• What if someone is an individual minority?

• The individual form is the most micro managed form you can get. Naturally everyone is a minority if you're looking at each individual completely separately

• @davidshaw But what if it's an individual situation?

• What do you mean exactly?

• It is the Marxist model mapped to other things.

• Guess it's just a trend. Trends come and go, so it will fade away after some point.

• as a minority is deserve more rights than you.

• no, you deserve the SAME rights as everyone else. You having more power is no more equal and fair than the status quo, with the majority having more power

• @davidshaw dude, I am disadvantaged lol, say hi to your probable future boss

• doesn't make a difference... In my country at least, you'd receive more help and monetary support to equalise more on my level, that doesn't mean you go right to the top though without working as hard as me after and with your support and it doesn't happen either. Don't know what country you come from where that does happen...

• I defend my right, I feel Minority rights are not something to look down at as they are having the same trouble as an individual, When i ask someone if they want to do something, i won't whinge about it. Just let them get on, as with when someone hurts me, i expect to be able to come back around and show them where they went wrong!
    If this makes sense.