Why is being called a liberal seen as an insult?

Shouldn't being open to beneficial change be a good thing.. It seems like thats a conservatives go to line calling someone a liberal when they have no compelling argument. If anything being averse to innovation and change should be negative right?

• They just have nothing better to say
    46%(16)36%(27)Vote27%(11)
  • I'm a conservative
    6%(2)25%(19)Vote41%(17)
  • I'm a banana
    48%(17)39%(30)Vote32%(13)
Wtf gag I didn't post that cover picture, they need to start asking for permission
Woww I never knew they were so many bananas I thought I was the only 1

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't know, I guess it has the same reasoning as some men going 'oh, you're a woman (so your opinion doesn't matter in this case because you're clouded by emotions anyway) and vice versa. I think it's a try to discredit an intellectual opponent by making their standpoint seem irrational without having to use proper arguments.

• @1995ALEX1995
      I am having fun. I just use G@G to pass the time while taking some online classes. Triggering whiny little, estrogen-filled, SJW's such as yourself helps me get through some of the monotony.
      @Nahliability
      Pointing out the fact that "modern medicine" is simply a pharmaceutical-industrial-complex is not a red herring, it's a relevant fact that applies to the topic at hand... Sure, because of the advent of antibiotics, early deaths from acute infections have decreased. But this has not drastically impacted the human-species from a "survival of the fittest" perspective, as the people who were saved through the use of these antibiotics would not have otherwise died from some inborn defect or weakness.

• Since you are so informed and well-read you do know that 'survival of the fittest' is a misleading term and that it should actually be called 'survival of the most adapted', don't you? And on the same note you do realise that humanity has come so far exactly because we don't need to adhere to that principle, don't you.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, I guess when someone calls you a liberal as an insult, they're referring to and think of the alt-left extremists that have demonstrated acts of atrocity on property and people who are not of the left. You've seen this manifest in a group called Antifa. If I call someone a liberal as a insult, it's almost always a playful joke and doesn't mean anything much. I'm referring to the left extreme.

What Girls Said 7

• Is it? I call myself liberal and have seen other people refer to liberals as such and never seen it as an insult or got the impression that was the intention.

• I don't take it as an insult either but I feel like republicans use it as a form of an insult for a closing argument

• Asker... Actually your right about the closing argument. If I was liberal , I would be somewhat insulted too. I really don't need to explain the rest tho , or do I ?

• Liberals believe in change and progression.. only dumb people would think that's an insult

• Why are you taking it as an insult?

• I don't but some people use it as an insult

• That's exactly why they should ask

• Conservatives are jealous of people who a) are free to be rational and b) who are free to think what they want because they haven't chained themselves to a fixed set of ideas. A little while back, Paul Krugman had an interesting column where he pointed out that liberal economists adopted whatever ideas worked, but conservatives weren't pragmatic because doing so would mean violating their beloved conservative principles.

• She says while in her safe space and burning books that prove truth she doesn't like i'll tell you something you wanna know why im a conservative so you can be a liberal

• But since logic, reason and evidence are all foreign languages to liberals i'll dive into the pit of identity politics and logical fallacies too!

i.pinimg.com/.../...al-views-political-opinion.jpg

i.pinimg.com/.../...otes-conservative-politics.jpg

"Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country." Racist white male JFK

"The rights of every man are diminished when the rights of one man are threatened." ~Right wing Nazi JFK

"You cannot with people who say, whats mine is mine and whats yours is negotiable."~ Small government BIGOT JFK

"To often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." ~Free speech RACIST JFK
      I used a black guy to make my point because a white man saying these things would be dismissed out of hand i. e. identity politics. JFK was used because by today's standards he'd be a nazi what with personal responsibility, free speech and egalitarianism being core principles of his.

• I have the cure for cancer. Get rid of politics.

• Maybe because of some extremists? that or being a leftist is considered being a special snowflake I don't know though there is extremists on all sides of politics

• Because liberalism and neoliberalism are right wing ideologies which actual lefties strongly oppose, but because American politics are so scewed to the right and America rules the world we get lumped in with liberals because that's as left wing as it gets over there. It's insulting because those ideologies are so far removed from what we actually believe on the left.

• Political beliefs don't actually fall on a line.

• ... which has nothing to do with the fact that nations have mixed and matched political and economic systems throughout the whole of history.

• You get an upvote for having an opinion i haven't heard before. you're a special cookie.

What Guys Said 32

• people who want to cast a bad light on something and lack truly credible methods of showing as bad will simply try to re-define the connotation of the word so that it seems bad.

• I don't know. for me, it's not so much of an insult as it is frustrating. frustrating in that i generally speak more to common sense and nuance rather than "liberal" or "conservative ideological constructs. so when i am (or at least try to be) reasonable and middle of the road, and get called a "liberal", or "conservative, you realize you're trying to talk to someone with their heads so far up their bleephole that they actually believe their extremes are actually middle of the road. there's no talking to or constructive conversation with said people. and where it gets to be a problem is that there's countries full of these bleep heads and that's how you get retards like trump elected and hillary clinton nominated and people in power actually pander to these morons...

• It is called "branding". And "psuedo" conservatives have become masters of this. Think of how marketing campaigns are run. I have worked with various marketing organizations for about 20 years now. No one in the marketing world accepts that people make up their own minds to buy products. They are always convinced or influenced by marketing campaigns. It is just a matter of which campaign is most successful. I have talked to executives that laugh at the notion that people actually choose products because they taste good, are of better quality etc.

There is a psychology that they study very well about how humans develop connections to each other and to objects in their lives. But anyway, psuedo-conservatives use this same methodology.

They have actually branded the word liberal and have made it toxic to be associated with the term. And they that is hilarious is they have found the way to make "liberalism" seem like some narrow belief system. Anyone who knows anything about liberalism knows it is insanely diverse. It is ridiculous to think about it as one movement. And even if the groups work against each other, which they frequently do, they are all grouped under the same heading.

I think psuedo-conservatives have mastered the art of getting people to accept hypocritical contradictory ideals under one massive ideology. Liberals are insanely violent and nonviolent snowflakes simultaneously. They are insanely diverse and nonsensical in their approach. . . but at the same time they are united under some sinister ideology bent on world domination. Liberals are racist. . . even if they have to accept everyone under that massive umbrella. They are totally disinterested in politics and government, but at the same time trying to take it over.

And I have to say these folks are psuedo-conservatives. Real conservatives have conservative principles they uphold and support. . all the time. They don't abandon these principles for the sake of ideology or some new political goal. So you can actually come to agreement or at least an understanding with them about issues.

But this the fake crowd? How can you talk with people who don't stand on principle? The only thing you can say they really support is "White" nationalism. Anything else they articulate just seems to be a lie to cover up the abhorrent reality.

• The only time liberal is used as a pejorative is in circles of people that are very conservative as an insult to another conservative to point out their unorthodoxy. I've encountered "republican" being used as a pejorative in liberal gatherings, its just a tribal my team vs their team sort of thing, there's no way to change thay its human nature.

• Historic liberalism (Truman) has its place. Modern liberalism is really leftism/socialism and cannot be supported through logic and reason. It killed 100+ million people in the 20th century and had failed in every nation that tried it, most recently Venezuela, after someone else's money ran out. Happening in Europe and the USA now.

• Think for yourself on your own dime. Spare room? Put Syrian refugees there if you believe in bringing them here.

• I'm a liberal, and I do not see it as an insult. Conservatives love to whine

• I was tempted to make a new account with the name banana, but i was too lazy. Just pretend that my name is 馃崒 for a moment

• Seriously? Do you not watch any of what has been going on?

• Don't we worry we know, GaG likes to post things they shouldn't on peoples questions.

Plus I was here when you originally posted it and it wasn't there before.

• Is it not obvious?

*Overly-emphasized political correctness
    *The use of "open-mindedness" to excuse shit that simply should not happen.
    *Celebration of weakness in our presidency.
    *Ignoring the potential negative consequences of "diversity."

It's all there, m8.

Oh and if you think that's weird, in Britain apparently "muppet" is also an insult. The more you know. xD

• Because a lot of so-called liberals have become fascists who think they should have control over what other people do and say. In other words, they are no longer actually liberal.

• Liberals believe rights only apply to them.

• I think C is closest to my view - Not everyone will agree but to divide into camps and insult each other seems counter productive - There are people at fault on all sides and we are probably expending a lot of energy doing each other down - I honestly think that some part of everyones' philosophy is good and if you put them all together you would have a very good philosophy but will people listen to each other, I doubt it.

• If liberals sought truly beneficial change then sure.
    But they don't, most of liberal views stem from stupidity and thus they get associated as such.

• I've never been called Liberal (Thank God). But i think it must be very difficult to be one.

To say to defend peace and freedom, but to take away all peace and freedom from those who think differently from them. To say to defend non-violence but to insult and assault voters of the opposite candidate.

Being against Christianity by (according to them) "is a religion that takes away the woman's rights" but at the same time strongly defend Islam.

Be against Capitalism, but live comfortably live in a 1st world country using their iPhones to access Facebook pages and complain about how opressive this world is.

• Look at the three options given for this poll. That speaks for itself.

• @Euph0ria I was thinking the same thing.

• T. f you guys talking about only the first option was, how does being a banana agreeing with my views. That option was just for fun not meant to be taken serious. You guys don't make sense but go ahead and believe what you want.

• I lrefer to be called social democrat.

• It's a stupid insult, trying to confer a negative meaning with an opposing political point of view.

'Liberals are stupid, and that's all they are. They don't have any good ideas. They're ignorant and selfish, and a moral degradation of society.'

• Leftists do not seek "beneficial change". They're in favor of anything that's unnatural and vulgar... They seek the destruction of the Natural-Order, pure and fuckin' simple.

• The opposite side turns what the other one is as an insult.

That being said, insults become insults because people get hurt and offended by them. If liberals wouldn't care about being called liberals as an insult, it wouldn't have become a thing.

• Because a lot of liberals are illogical.

• I'm a banana.. And it's only an insult if the listener gives it the power of being a insult...

• Because the liberals in Los Angeles and NY tarnished the Liberal name

• Liberal isn't an insult, libtard is. I think there is a difference between basic people (liberals) and SJWs (libtards).

• Cause most are stupid

• Liberals are not bad. However drinking the koolaid of climate change and communism is a poor trait. Individuals make small changes to large problems. Not government.

• That's like getting mad and feeling insulted for being called a man when you are a man. wtf...

• Well mainly they mean SJWs because they're hated a lot

• it's an insult based on a social construct... like the word faggot

• because most of them are ignorants who would defend something without knowing any thing about it just to look Ideal.

• It's not. It's just conservatards who make it seem that way

• More from Guys
    2