Is breastfeeding in public wrong?

What is your take on mothers breastfeeding their babies out in the open?
Is breastfeeding in public wrong??

2533

Most Helpful Girl

• ooo this is one off those questions that cause people to get angry..

So.. is it wrong.. no its not.. but... :)

Why would you? their are many alternatives. Like many other causes people promote it to prove a point take this for example

http://www.BBC.co.uk/news/world-australia-39853360

My problem isn't that this MP is breastfeeding, its more that she's doing it to prove a point and at work.. If your at work you should be doing work not looking after your kids, that's what daycare is for. Nudity is natural but we don't do it everywhere, we could, just to prove a point but because it's natural doesn't mean you can ignore all the other rules off etiquette and common sense. Their are many natural processes that we don't do in public.

But if its that's important to you to make the point.. go ahead..

What Girls Said 24

• No but the women in my family always used a towel to lay over their breast mainly cause they didn't feel like people had the right to see their breast. The only person they allowed to see their breast was their husbands and that's it. So the women in my family are very modest, they think it's okay to breast feed in public but at the same time they don't think you should just flop your tit out in front of everyone, they will tell you to lay a towel over your shoulder or just breast pump your milk so you don't have to do it. That's just how they feel. Now I just think its funny how women say its not a big deal to have their breast out in public. It doesn't matter if its for breast feeding or just wanting the same freedom as men since they can go about without a shirt on. But we would all know what would happen if men started jogging down the site walks with their dicks out or just whipped it out cause they had to pee since there was no bathroom near by. A lot women would feel incredible uncomfortable about this cause 1. they don't want to see random dicks, 2. they have children in public and don't want their kids to be exposed to that 3. Know perverts will take advantage of the situation. We already complaining about perves looking us up and down when we wear a sexy dress, who's to say perv won't take advantage of seeing your tits out in the open weather your breast feeding or not? They might actually be into seeing children breast feed which is freaking weird. Just something to think about.

• Well it depends if it's in the corner to bond with baby then defo not quiet spot in public
    If it's in the middle of a supermarket then it's wrong
    Bloody dangerous for starters what if someone knocks into a woman while she's feedin baby and baby falls out of arms?

• I think it is perfectly natural. I don't understand how people are being so supportive with the LGBT community, but not with mothers breastfeeding their babies. If you want to talk about "display of bad behavior" or whatever they want to call breastfeeding, then they shouldn't be ok either with the Pride Parade, because they make a display of behavior that are not ok, if you see things from than point of view.

• Do you think there should be a small towel or cover when breastfeeding?

• If you are a mom and don't want to show then you should keep it near you. It's not a big deal. Girls can carry their things in bag then it's not a big deal to keep towel

• No. Its natural and necessary. It worries me that people look at a woman feeding her child and think its sexual or inappropriate.

• It's one general issue that's keeps beating my imagination.

• Its illegal to stop someone in Australia. We even had a senator breast feed in parliament 😉

• That's why Australia ended up on the underside of the Earth. LOL

• Welcome to Gag Town.
    No, not Wrong Here, dear, However, Finding a Private Spot or What Not, to do the Breast, is Best from the Rest.
    Good Luck. xx

• There's nothing wrong with a baby getting fed in public. If someone doesn't like it then just look the other way.

• No, it is not wrong. If someone feels it to be horrible or inappropriate, I kind of feel they're the ones in the wrong for making an issue out of nothing.

• Nah, I don't think it's wrong.

• Of course not, it's completely natural. If the baby is hungry, you gotta feed it.
    It really pisses me off that we live in a society where some women feel the need to hide or even make their babies wait because they feel like they are being inappropriate for doing something like this, what it is actually inappropriate is all the brainwashing society likes to do on people's head.

• Don't you think there should be a small towel or cover when breastfeeding?

• No. It s because society has sexualized breasts, so if there is one seen in public, doing what it is made to do, people get up in arms.
    Maybe cause it frightens them... or Oedipus complex

• Don't see the big deal

• Of course not babies have to eat. It's so frustrating that feeding a baby is worse in society's eyes than violence. Need to grow up and get over it

• Preach sister.
      I like to think the society projects too much negativity on that topic that most mothers feel compelled to watch their kids starve because they are in public for fear of being ridiculed.

• I mean I think so because it has been shamed upon for a fair amount of time now. Have to start somewhere but it's definitely moving in the right direction. I don't think women need to show their boobs but I don't think you need to have a cover if you are a normal person and sitting down on a bench feeding etc.

• feeding a baby is worse in society's eyes than violence. Violence, misogyny and hypocrisy are the New Normal.
      Grow up and get over it. Adjust to society
      ;)

• How can something like this that's so completely natural and normal, be wrong?

• I don't think it's wrong I just think you should cover up when in a public place such as a restaurant. No ones to start eating and look up and see a titty just hanging out and it's disrespectful. Just use a towel or a blanket.

• They are giving sustenance to their child, if other mammals can do it, why can't we?

• if they want to do it its fine i don't have a problem with it
    i just wouldn't want to do it myself for personal reasons so if i have a kid ill bottle feed it

• No, its normal.

• You should always use a cover.

• No not wrong. I just think it's polite to use a towel.

• No, it's not wrong. I'd say to have a small blanket to cover up a little bit, but it's not terrible and only crazy people will really mind.

• it is wrong

• No. It's so right. So very right.

• Is feeding a baby in public wrong? No. If the child wants to eat you have to feed them it's not that deep

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Guys Said 33

• I personally don't care, but it could infringe on some laws of decency. It definitely infringes on decent social norms. There's just things you DON'T do while in public. Especially if there's other children around, they could be negatively influenced before they're of age to fully comprehend what they're seeing.

• no it's not wrong

• in my opinion it's the same as making it illegal for people in general to eat anything in public, like sandwiches. i don't see the problem of breastfeeding in public.

• I dont really care, but please do not freak out, when some male look occasionally hits you.

That is just a reflex and we can't really do anything about it, it is not that common to completely miss it unintentionaly. And to intentionally miss it requires perception...

• Completely understandable. Heck even I have to make a bit of effort not to ogle, just because I'm so curious about that motherhood crap lol

• Also I think its totally natural to look at the people around you. Its considered to be normal to look at someone who is just doing random stuff, but when its a mother feeding her child its suddenly harrasment.
      People are indeed weird xD

• No. I don't understand why (for the ones that do) people have a problem with it. But I'm also for topless rights for women. There's nothing "wrong", "obscene" or offensive about breasts... or the human body for that matter.

• "Wrong?" Lol why the hell would it be "wrong?" There's nothing wrong with it, it's just kind of gross and something that should be private I guess. But if it has to happen sometimes, it has to happen. So be it. We can get over it and move on. There are far worse things to be aggravated about.

• I dont see the problem, maybe its because I dont come from a civilised country, but I really dont see the problem, if I a woman I would breastfeed my kid infront of the president if the baby wanted to drink something.

P. S Your baby is beautiful, hope yous dont get harrassed or evil eyes from peopel for breastfeeding her.

• No not at all

• This shouldn't have be a discussion but unfortunately everybody gets offended these days. It's a natural right to feed your child when they need to be fed. Not a privilege. There is no if, and, or buts.

• No... And also it doesn't infringe on societal norms. Typical closed mindedness.

• Yes it is

• nothing wrong with it

• Definitely not wrong. I wish that people would do this in public all the time, everywhere, no matter what.

• it's not!

• most people like me look away when we see it ,,, to keep our thoughts in control!

• that is what tits are for

• Nope

• Totally natural so therefore totally acceptable

• There's nothing wrong with doing it, but don't be surprised if you get men glancing at you. If you have a problem with that, you shouldn't do it in public.

• It's ok. I would say, it's better to carry a cover. But we also should make room meant for breastfeeding for mothers in office and public places. It'll help the working mothers especially.
    In case a mother don find an option and have to help her child openly, I don find anything wrong with that.
    I don blame anybody for feeling uneasy around it. But then , they only should try to avoid such situations.

• There is nothing wrong with it. But it is better if not done in public.

• It's totally fine people need to grow up

• A suckling baby covers more skin than a lot of women's fashion anyways. In any scenario where a tank top is acceptable, breastfeeding should be just as fine.

• Nothing wrong with it. When the baby needs feeding, it needs feeding

• It's sexy

• It's like scratching your balls in public. It's embarrassing if you care about other people's opinion.

• Mmmmm ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

• No it's not wrong naturally its just feeding the baby it's not the mothers fault that society is backwards on this

• I don't see public breastfeeding as a problem.

• Idc about it.

• No it's not and it's necessary. People need to get off breastfeeding mother's backs

• More from Guys
    3