Why does America still have commercially available guns?

I'm an Australian and it seems so stupid how the US still have widely available guns. Firstly; in Australia we had a mass shooting over a decade ago, where the then Prime Minister called a gun armistice (removal of guns) and introduced heavy gun laws. These laws made guns illegal (with very few exceptions) and has tightened it's grip on all weaponry. Since then: Australia's mass shootings have dropped to 0 (mass being more that 4 people), both the assault and suicide rate (firearm assisted) has been dropped from 60% and 40% respectively to virtually none and meanwhile America's numbers are still climbing. Secondly, I understand that you have your 2nd amendment, but that states that you have the right to bare arms IF you are apart of a government organised militia, in other words.. Police, security or army. Also the Constitution was written and signed in a time of colonialisation, raiding, murdering and civil war.. That time has past, and the need for internal weaponry has dispersed. Finally, I hear the argument "you can't get rid of them all, so why introduce laws that won't work?". I already stated that they will, but in any case.. You can't get rid of all drugs, drugs are illegal in America, should you just legalise all drugs because you can't get rid of them all? No. Of course not, it's a stupid argument. Anyone, argue against me on this if you must, but read my points first. I just believe that America needs to wake up and follow other people's lead for once.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Take the favorite toy away from a kid its basicly the same reaction.

0|2
    0|1

What Girls Said 6

• Because they think that they’re going to be able to overthrow the government with their own private militias.

That’s literally the reason the Second Amendment exists.

If you ask me, they’re all a few sandwiches short of a picnic, mkay?

2|1
    1|1
    • They live in a democracy, therefore overthrowing the government will just create more problems and throw the country into anarchy.
      With no government, and lots of guns. It's so stupid.

• They didn’t become widely regarded as the most ignorant nation by making smart decisions, now.

• Very true, very true.

• Omfg I'm Bangladeshi and always said this to the Americans that they need to make gun laws more strict, with the aid of example as well (Japan). And they still didn't listen I was like oh ok. Talking to them is useless.

1|3
    1|3
  • I 100% agree. I'm from the UK and although most guns are illegal to buy here, rifles are not, but the process to get one, store it in your home and even the security checks are insane!
    Americans use there guns, or want to have a gun to protect themselves and their families. If the American government take it off them then it would cause havoc because surely they'd kick up a fuss about having no defence in case of an attack.

0|2
    1|3
    • I just watched a documentary on rising levels of gun violence in the UK. Wonder if maybe there's a correlation between refugees and gun crime that was previously unheard of. But how's that even possible? Guns are banned right?

• Show All
    • You are so stupid, arrogant and naive its sad. No wonder the rest of the world is beginning to ignore you, should've happened a lot sooner to be honest.

• Solid argument there.

• Well as an American, I believe guns dont kill, people do. Its more of a people issue and who the guns are giving to and the lack of training?

0|2
    0|1
    • But no commercial guns has been proven to work, isn't safety more important?

• Show All
    • 6d

Hey its just my opinion. It’s not like America has the biggest issue in the world why don’t you go over to the Middle East and look at how many times guns are used against people every day

• 5d

Your comparing a developed country to the third world? The States are desperate to defend their guns lol.

I don’t call the States “America”. There are more than one or even three countries in America.

• Also Australian & agree 100%

0|1
    1|3
  • Well, you don't live here, so no worries.

0|6
    1|2
    • Well, no. America has a huge impact on the rest of the world, so.. Still worries

What Guys Said 33

• Because we have a right to do so granted to us by our constitution. Our history is rooted in a revolution against tyranny. Why wouldn't we have gun rights? Not only that, guns save far, far more lives than they take.

Also, the 2nd amendment isn't about a government organized militia. That makes no sense whatsoever. Why would the government give itself gun rights in the bill of rights? That's ridiculous.

Besides that, people point to mass shootings as some sort of justification for stricter gun control, when the only reason those nutjobs had weapons was because the system failed to enforce the laws that they already had.

"the government is huge and ineffective. Instead of making it even bigger and even less effective with more and more power, we should be reducing it and making it more effective at actually doing its job"

Gun control doesn't get rid of guns, it just puts them in the sole possession of the state. A government which has no fear of repurcussions for oppressing a defenseless people. If you could magically press a button to erase all guns from existence, I'd press it myself. But if even one officer of the state has one we better have the right to bear one too

0|3
    0|1
    • I'm very tired so I'll make this quick.
      1. The time of French funded revolution is over, get over it.
      2. It is, and it does. But it was in a time of, you guessed it, revolution
      3. Are you stupid? There is no system, you can buy a gun at freaking Walmart
      4. Your forth paragraph, makes no point.. But, that's the point of regional governments.. Everyone had them.
      5. Incorrect. The gun armistice in Australia actually destroyed the guns, turning them to scrap metal where they'd be more useful. The state didn't keep any, and only has firearms in their police force and army. As it should be.
      6. As an officer of the state, yes you should. Which is why I'm attacking commercially available guns, not state provided.

• 1. The second amendment wasn't implemented because it was a time of revolution, it was implemented for the very possibility that there may come a time when our own government turns into the very tyrant it was built to oppose. A government should fear its citizenry, not the other way around.

2. The militias were not run by the government, the militia was simply the term used when armed citizens came together and organized themselves independently of the governing state.

3. Are you stupid? There is a system of laws already in place but the government is to incompetent to enforce its own laws. The shooting last weak for instance was only possible because the Air Force failed to file its paperwork properly. More laws don't keep people from breaking the laws we already have, which is what they're doing.

• 4. People aren't talking about local government when they're talking about gun control. They want federal legislation.

5. I don't care if the exact guns taken are being used by the government, I'm talking about the government being the only one with possession of firearms, rendering the population absolutely defenseless against the powers that be.

6. State provided guns means the government has complete control over who gets them and what kinds of weaponry they get. That gives no power to the people whatsoever, and any use of force by the superior equipment of the government would mean any attempt at defending yourself is futile.

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGfckZLJhPQ&t=414shttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEqGBOt32NM&t=10s

PAY SPECIAL ATTENTION TO THIS VIDEO BELOW:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAXxQBIfH7I

Basically, the US has much more guns than Australia. You live on an ISLAND (same with England). We are bordered by Central and by extension, South America, which is full of violent gangs. What works for your country, simply won't work for us, even if we didn't care about defending ourselves in case of a tyranny. Remember, the 2nd Amendment is made for an IN CASE situation, where people have the right to defend themselves and their property even from their own government.

0|0
    0|0
  • There is no reason why not to and there are good reason to have them..

Prohibition doesn't work anyway, every time it's implemented it only makes the problem worse.

1|3
    0|1
    • INCORRECT.
      The mass shooting in Australia, caused a prohibition to be put in motion, ever since we haven't had any mass (4+) shootings plus gun violence and gun-related suicide has dropped from 60% and 40% respectively to virtually none.

• 6d

Australia, is far different than the U. S., or any other place on earth due to it's unique seclusion. Also an exception dost not disprove the rule. Logic 101.

The U. S. is also VERY different politically, it is the "leader" of the free world, if tyranny takes over the U. S. Australia will likely follow shortly after along with the rest of the "free world". Citizens owning weapons vs. government controlling weapons is an issue as old as civilization, it is mandatory for citizens to be able to own weapons in order to prevent tyranny. That is the reason for the right to bear arms.

Prohibition of weapons in the U. S. in particular would be disastrous for humanity.

• Wow. your ignorance is incredible. Let me fix that.
    Second Amendment of the United States Constitution reads ""A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." The second part is the definitive statement. The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. The first phrase is the REASON for the second. The US, since it's inception, has primarily staffed its armed forces with citizen-soldiers. In order to ensure that these folks can shoot, we let them have guns in their daily lives. That way, if we DO have to call up the "militia" (which, by the way, is every man or boy between the ages of 18 and 65, not just those currently under arms), they're already trained ("well regulated", in colonial parlance). Switzerland does the same thing but makes it mandatory. So does Israel. Both nations can field a strong, disciplined fighting force very quickly, to defend their nations, much like the US.
    Yamamoto, Japans Naval commander in chief, once said "Should hostilities once break out between Japan and the United States, it is not enough that we take Guam and the Philippines, nor even Hawaii and San Francisco. To make victory certain, we would have to march into Washington and dictate the terms of peace in the White House. I wonder if our politicians, among whom armchair arguments about war are being glibly bandied about in the name of state politics, have confidence as to the final outcome and are prepared to make the necessary sacrifices." He knew that any army invading the US would have to fight a constant guerilla war across the entire continent. Not one invader would survive, because Americans treasure their freedom from foreign oppression above life itself. And we have the arms to make sure of it. It is that will to freedom that makes us citizens, and not subjects.
    As for suicides, the number of other methods used in Austrailia has gone up as the number of gun suicides has gone down. So people are still killing themselves, just using different means. The gun ban had almost no effect, there.

0|4
    0|0
  • Well I might add that mexico has banned guns and they have a huge problem with guns. Your country is smaller so it is easier to take away weapons from 30+ million people. Now compare that to the 300 something million of the United states. That is a huge difference in size. And also take into account that the supreme court of the united states has to deem if the ban on guns is unconstitutional or not. And since it is our second amendment right to own guns that are purchased legally, it most likely won't happen.

0|1
    0|1
    • You obviously did not read, your 2nd Amendment actually permits the right to bare arms if you're apart of a government organised militia. It doesn't protect commercial firearms sales.
      No one said it would be easy, but would you rather sit around doing it the easy way or fight for people's lives?
      Also, to address Mexico. That is because they don't have as strict import system, Australia's is insanely thorough and strict.

• Show All
    • @VerbalWN the definition of a militia, is a military that is made up of and controlled by citizens.

• @Thispwrson98 yes. That was what the National Guard was before 1903. It split the militia into 2. The National Guard which can be Federalized and the Militia (State Guard, State Defense Force, State Military Reserve or State Militia). US Code 32 Ch1.109 Subsection C Maintenance of other Troops. Is basically referring to militias.

• I only have time to address your comment about the Second Amendment to the U. S. Constitution. It is true that for many, many years that amendment was subject to debate because of the reference to a "well-regulated militia." But about 10 years ago the U. S. Supreme Court ruled (for the first time) that the Amendment does protect an individual right to own firearms. They did not rule that the right was unlimited however, and under that decision some types of regulation have been upheld. No one would argue, for example, that the right as construed by the Supreme Court protects a right to own rocket-propelled grenade launchers. Your argument about the antiquity of the Second Amendment is also misplaced, as it must be if any of the other rights granted in the Bill of Rights are to be maintained. Because they too date from the time shortly after ratification of the Constitution.

0|1
    0|0
  • Dude shut up I'm so tired of hearing all these kids who have no clue what the are talking about, who aren't even from America!!! Try to have an opinion on guns in a country that they don't belong to. Especially Austraslia where the traded shootings for stabbings you homicide rate never changed kid! It's actually not a stupid argument to legalize all drugs... it would save tax payers a ton of money imprisoning people! We should let people do drugs but fight to keep them out and also teach kids not to do them at a young age. The way i see it just because they are illegal doesn't stop people from doing them just like guns... just because some one has one doesn't mean they are going on a killing spree... if that was the case it would be a war zone here... there are only 360 some odd million people here and a hell of a lot more guns... Your argument that the constitution was written durring colonialism holds no weight as well considering the government can have advanced weapons so if the government gets to big as its been doing how can we protect ourselves if it decides to go tyrannical? We will have break barrel air rifles and they will have fully automatic 50cal machine guns... You think the founders were stupid... they knew that technology was going to change thats with that clearly stated that we could basically have anything we wanted even a tank technically!

0|3
    0|0
    • EXACTLY not everything can be legislated and forced by the state. Nor should it be. Its always better to actually just evolve the culture. Society should still shane drug use but imprisonment is ridiculous.

• A gun ban won't work in America there are hundreds of millions of guns and most Americans won't give up their guns willingly. It would cause a civil war, and even if they did somehow manage to confiscate the guns without a war there would be a black market. Organized crime will thrive people will still have guns. Just look areas in America with the strictest gun laws have the highest rates of violence. The American people do not like to be told what to do. The prohibition was a failure and so is the war on drugs. The reason why gun bans are successful in other countries is because gun ownership rates are nowhere near as high, and people are much more willing to give up their guns, and Americans also have the protection of the constitution and all of our laws are drafted based on the constitution as well so the banning of guns would be considered unconstitutional.

0|4
    0|0
  • First, you have to ask, what is the purpose of government? The purpose of government is to retaliate against initiations of force. That means that, for the purpose of having a civilized society, individuals delegate to the government their right of defence, to the extent possible. In an emergency, relying on the government is not possible. Therefore, weapons should be available to individuals, albeit with strong restrictions. For example, weapons that are primarily offensive, rather than defensive, should not be available: weapons of mass destruction, tanks, machine guns, many kinds of explosives, etc.

In other words, yes, America should probably have stricter gun laws, but that should go together with a real commitment by the government to punishing criminals, so that people can be confident in the government's willingness to defend them from criminals.

Yes, the Second Amendment is outdated, in the sense that it is longer possible, really, for people to rebel successfully against a tyrannical government (one of the arguments used by supporters of the Second Amendment). Even back then, the rebels would have been defeated by the British, had it not been for the help of another great power (France) and had it not been for the fact that the British did not really care about retaining the American colonies.

That said, I take issue with the constant talk about gun murder rates. Murder is murder. We should consider murder rates in general, as well as the fact that guns are often used in defence.

0|0
    0|0
  • To start with the 2nd amendment does give the right to bare arms to militias as in the actual militia that was supposed to replace all Americas military needs. USA was envisioned to not need a military because it would supposedly never engage in offensive wars (laugh with me) so having an armed section of the population was thought to be the most efficient defense since they did not think you could win against the peoples spirit.

Basically imagine locally mobilized irregular forces training and operating all over USA under the command of the government and you get the idea. It is to those forces the 2nd amendment was supposed to provide a right to bare arms.

That said, there is a reason why Americans seams to be on the wrong side of basically every issue. Because it is so powerful and wealthy they are also the main focus for corruption and its population is just filled with people who believe in false information. The whole "fake news" outburst right now is a perfect example of them rejecting more credible sources and defending propaganda.

As long as they dont accept fact, they will keep buying guns because that very same propaganda tells them its the solution and vitally important for America.

0|0
    0|1
    • Actually the true reason for the second amendment was to keep the power in the hands of the people. So, that the people could overthrow an oppressive government.

• Show All
    • Yea, tyrannical governments can come from outside of the US too.

• @Thisperson98 You are basically just trying to twist my words at this point.

• Not from USA but from Latvia, well having guns deals with problems as it creates ones. Look at France or UK some crazy ise cars insted of guns, should we ban cars? I think you fail to understand that if someone will want to kill, he or she will find a way how to do it. And at that moment trust me, you will want gun at your side... Im pro gun and honestly why you care about americans having guns?

0|3
    0|0
  • Why do you care?

0|2
    0|0
  • I’m from Canada, so many Americans feel like I have no place in this discussion...

Americans are given a false sense of security from a gun. They think the best way to fight violence is with violence... Canada has 10-20x lower gun related crime (depending on what state)... why? Because we actually have strict gun control. Americans cling onto the past, not wanting to change. (Like not wanting Universal Healthcare - which is a another topic for another day). Americans think it’s a right to own a firearm... no... it should be a privilege...

Here’s some points for Americans to consider::

- 99.999% of household invasions are property related. Would you kill someone for stealing your TV? Shootings that do occur inside homes are because the homeowner challenged/threatened them.
    - Criminals will commit crime regardless of the circumstances... it’s wired in their brain like that... generally good people will stick to being good. Criminals know that people have guns to protect themselves in their homes... so they bring guns with them to protect themselves in case things go south for them. It’s very rare for criminals in Canada to do that because they aren’t afraid of homeowners having readily accessible firearms.
    - Even the best people make poor judgement calls when they’re angry. You think good will result if a gun is at their fingertips? People won’t be tempted to use drugs when they hit crisis if they’re not available, so why should guns be treated any differently?
    - One American said they would hate to see a crazy lunatic with a firearm go on a killing spree in Canada because no one would stop them... To which I thought... Kind of like Las Vegas?

How do I know some of this stuff? Because I work in law enforcement. I would never... ever... want to work in the States. You get paid less, it’s way more unsafe, and people treat the police as a “necessary evil”. What a sad set of circumstances for a country. I feel sorry for the people that live there.

Not a single other developed country’s has even close to the amount of mass/large shootings as the States. Surely people aren’t that much worse there. So perhaps it’s there laws/policies governing them?

There is more to add, but I’m sure no one will take these points seriously. No one likes change, and try to cling to their “forefather rights”.

0|0
    1|0
    • Canada has plenty of guns it's not gun laws or banning guns that works. Prohibition never works, only makes things worse.

The vast majority of gun crime could be eliminated by ending the war on drugs.

Americans also focus on "Policing" while Canada places it's focus on "Peace keeping", this makes a HUGE difference in the attitudes people and even criminals have towards police.

• Show All
    • 3d

dude yes you do...

This is a frustrating because we are having two different conversations, you think you know what I'm talking about but you do not, so you address what you "think" I am saying but all you are doing is showing how you are unable to participate properly because you lack the information.

I don't know about you but this just seems like a waste of time now, you already "know everything" so whats the point..

• 3d

@Jager66 Well, while I don’t know everything; I do have first hand knowledge in areas that you’re voicing your opinion in. Perhaps you should clarify because your words may not match your thoughts correctly.

• Two things:

Australia doesn’t have fewer spree killings. Second, America is more violent because of diversity, not guns.

1|2
    0|0
  • Gun problems are mostly because of illegal actions so legal or not doesn't matter look at gun related stats in places like new Hampshire or Kansas where guns are easily accessible and then look at super strict places like Massachusetts or California

1|1
    0|1
    • Of course it's because of illegal actions, what a stupid thing to say.
      People can easily get their hands on guns ALLOWING them to complete those illegal acts

• It was said that way so you understood it's illegal so if guns are legal or not it won't matter

• Now you're just dumb

• As per some users here - they need guns for...
    -Protection
    -Hobby

And they don't want to ban guns because...
    -Protection
    -Hobby
    -Bad guys will get them on black market anyways.
    -Guns don't kill people, people kill people.
    -Knives can also kill people, ban knives?
    -Cars also kill people, ban cars?

So I guess it's a matter of culture. I'm not saying Americans are violent, all I am saying is that they already got attached to their right to bear arms, and they already feel secure about it.

It's like a child, wanting to keep his/her blanket forever. :)

Personally - it's too late to ban guns now. Too many people owned too many guns, it'll cost millions of usd to implement a ban.
    They just need to screen gun buyers/sellers more often - including online sales like on Ebay. Then another mandatory screening every quarter of the year. Failure to pass will result in gun confiscation.

0|0
    1|1
    • Only way to take away someone's guns is by due process. And doing a screening isn't due process.

• Show All
    • @Thisperson98
      But... that's what I'm suggesting - you already have the rights - then improve it, make it tighter and make the background check again, like twice a year for people who owns guns...

People change - people lose their jobs, people get divorce, people lose their relatives, their kids - but some of those people still have their guns - hence my suggestion to monitor people with guns again, every year, to see what changed on them.
      They can still defend - and if they fail - take the guns away from them.

• Nope, because losing a spouse isn't due process. It all has to be done in the court system.

• Cause guns r awesome. I have 2 guns and i live in tbe south. Guns r so cheap and guess how much a gun licenses 70 dollars.. Thats cheap asf! And for rifles you don't even need a license. God bless America!

0|3
    0|0
  • Actually the murder rate has been decreasing, until recently, but it will most likely start going back down. In 2015 we had a record low murder rate.
    Also, during the time Australia murders declined, the US murder rate declined the same amount.

1|1
    0|0
  • Because we aren't pussys

1|2
    0|0
    • Oh and we should legalize drugs too or at minimum decriminalize it. So you don't have a point prohibition is an overreach of government power and it doesn't work.

• Cause we can thats why this world is crazy it makes me feel protected you would think some asshole with crocodiles and giant spiders in his backyard could relate you let your government control yous we do only to an extent

0|1
    0|0
  • It's too emeded in their culture. Even if the government were to make stricter regulations there's too much after market value and support for guns.

It's just like cigarettes.

0|0
    0|0
  • What is the common denominator of every shooting in America? One disturbed folks that have access to weapons.

0|0
    0|0
  • dude dont question our gun laws. We can buy whatever guns we want here in America because were the best. case closed.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm an American gun owner. My reply was too long to post so I saved it as an image.

0|1
    0|0
    • I gave a long reply but damn lol

• Show All
    • @Lumberman53
      Yeah, I tend to do that a lot. I think it's partially me clarifying my own opinion for myself. Obviously I want to present as many arguments as possible in my favor. Anyway, sorry.

• No it's fine I was just amazed lol

• 0|0
    0|1
  • Because we're lemmings.

0|0
    0|1
  • It's about $$$. Guns, drugs, and corruption of organized gangs "police", these are the leading $ revenue $ in the United states!

0|0
    0|1
  • Cuz we won't let them take em away from us like you pussies

0|1
    0|0
  • It’s in their constitution. Your not from America and don’t live there so it is absolutely NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. Literally how dare you try to mock another country for their constitution.

2|2
    0|1
    • You sir are funny, America is apart of the global community, and a major part at that. Therefore anything that happens in America effects the rest of the world, the more political the issue.. The bigger the effect.

So don't talk to me like that, and I also addressed the 2nd Amendment above, I do suggest you read

• Show All
    • Actually I'm not, I'm further right than left. But it's stupid decisions like this that I must oppose, so how about you put down your Walmart rifle and see the bigger picture

• No, it’s in their Amendment leave them off. American people can stand up to corrupt governments and tyranny if they need to. They have freedom and power which people in the rest of the world don’t have. If your allows to buy a handgun to protect your wife and kids you should be allowed. No one is gonna protect you but you. The police aren’t quick enough to prevent murder. People should be able to feel safe in their own homes and if guns is the answer so be it. How dare you think your superior to them because you trust a police force that will not save you

• I think for those that own guns have the mindset of they rather have them and not need them, than need them and not have any. Some people live in high crime areas and would need them to protect their property and their homes. Because they know that they can't solely and completely rely on the authorities and the government to protect them from harm.

0|1
    0|0
    • Ibe been robbed with a gun before it changes your perspective once you're that helpless.

• @Blake0048 see. there we go. after a situation like that, you're gonna ask yourself on whether the authorities can be completely relied upon to protect you at all times. The thing is most of us common folks don't have our own personal protection security detail following us around at all times unlike some high profile rich celebrities or rich folk or government officials. If that was the case, then we wouldn't need to worry about a situation like the one you've been through, since protection is constantly following us around and always ready to respond should we become endangered by somebody else's actions.

• More from Guys
Loading... ;