What do you think about this new song from Joyner Lucas called "I'm Not Racist"? Does it change your outlook on society?

Feel free to add your thoughts.

411

Most Helpful Girl

• This is a very powerful song with a very powerful message. It touched my heart.

Most Helpful Guy

• Judging by the comments most people either didn't listen or simply didn't understand. But people might not. If you aren't into politics, you may not have seen the two sides of the song repeated 10,000 times in real life or on the internet. Usually the two sides are separated into echo chambers and you only get a little bit of the other side of you dig around for it. Me personally I research every angle I can so I get what the song is saying. It's goal is to give perspective to people in their echo chambers. To force people to hear both sides of the story.

Joyner Lucas put the song together perfectly by putting a big white redneck in the beginning of the video saying horrible things about black people. It grabs the attention of the listener regardless of which side of the coin they are on. Liberal? You get angry, watching, why the FUCK is this racist white piece of shit rapping so well about niggers?" Then you get to the second verse and you're like "ohh I see, ok cool." You're a racist conservative? You hear this song and you're like "wow! He's so right! I love this guy!" then you get to the second verse. I wonder if they turn it off at this point. But hopefully they actually do listen to it.

I just wonder if it makes a difference at all. I wonder if racist people will stop and think about their racism. I wonder if poor people will start to believe there is more to life than suffering and work hard to improve their situations. I don't know if this song will do that but maybe it helps open the doors to some communication between people.

I'm a big proponent of "perspective." I always try to learn everyones perspective, it's the most important thing, period.

• I get both sides now. I guess if I had to choose which one I grew up as, it's the first perspective. My family isn't racist but they aren't thrilled about the tax rate. Neither am I. But I get both sides now, so it's a great song and I'd even say a lifechanger if you actually take a second to listen. Thanks for the opinion.

What Girls Said 3

• Doesn’t speak to me

• I haven't heard of him before. He hasn't reshaped my world view.

• good

What Guys Said 10

• how's it not racist to ascribe a single characteristic to all people of a race? that is the literal definition of racism

• what he says he can be ascribed to any one of any race. as people of all races are on food stamps, leave their children, act out violently.

and yet as a black guy who has two children that he wouldn't leave in a million years. has never taken a single government handout. has never been in a fight and doesn't own a weapon i'm lumped into his rant about black niggas.

• @RolandCuthbert i think it's what i'd want to ask the artist. clearly there is a point they are trying to make but what is the point because otherwise it sounds like just two racist people going back and forth.

but i think the song offers a commentary or at least just kind of magnifies the common racist arguments thrown around... you are right though the song would be better if it had some sort of resolution otherwise it just sort of seems to put on display ugly racism

• It is weird. I could say it was two racist people if the "Black" guy was telling the Trump supporter to stop having sex with his sister, stop believing in a flat earth, read a book, stop believing that American is a language. . . etc.

If he had stereotypes for the "White" guy then it could have been better.

And also if the "White" guy had stereotypes for himself.

But if you listen to the rap. He doesn't. He simply lists the stereotypes of "Black" males. . . and so does the "Black" guy actually.

It is a strange weird video when you step back and think about it.

• Honestly, I don't get it. Its talking about hearing both sides but everything the white guy said was accurate. They have over 60% of their children being raised by single mothers, their is no evidence of racism (obviously on a personal level their will always be some one but systemically or culturally their is none) today and he says that the only thing holding blacks back is their own actions and excuses. Then the black sides rebuttel is to state that its not his fault, its racism thus proving the point that its just excuses. So while I understand it was suppose to show the two different sides of the argument, the fact is even in the video itself they show that only one side actually has an argument and the other has nothing but excuses. Kind of seems contradictory to the point trying to be made. Not that its not true, again all evidence shows that the black community is held back by fatherlessness and excuses (Hell, black men like Larry Elder have been saying as much for years now). So again, I don't really get it.

• The point of the video is to show both sides and commonly used arguments, and then show how we can make peace. Not about the arguments as much as it is about the peace.

• 6d

Yup lol, most people just resort to cussing after an argument on the internet.

• 6d

Sadly quite true.

• Pretty brilliant! Hopefully, it's the antidote to to the hate in U. S. politics today.

In the U. S., it seems that raging anger, resentment, bitterness, and pure hatred of the other side seems to reign supreme whenever politics is discussed. "I'm Not Racist" prove itself a great example of how to acceptably, peaceably, and civilly express the topics that truly burn in people's hearts… with an open mind and an equally great, burning desire to understand and feel the what it is that ails the other person, your fellow citizen, your fellow human being.

They seem to fairly express the valid points of both highly polarized U. S. left & right, increase mutual understanding between these now-contentious sides, and promotes more civil discussions even among those who disagree.

• It's a well-written song (by a very underrated rapper in Joyner Lucas) that makes a strong point: perspectives causes misunderstandings, and by getting to understand the other perspective we can further educate ourselves about the life experience of others.

I have a feeling that most of the people who posted on this thread, either didn't listen to the entire song (if at all) or the concept went over their head.

• Exactly... Everyone is so focused on the fact that a white guy is saying the N word lol. Big deal. Thanks for the comment.

• Uhm. . . I can't really relate to it. If you young folks can, that's good. But it is important to note. Race is the lazy discipline. It is the clumsiest, most ineffective idiotic way to classify people.

This young brother in the video. . . I can't understand much what he says.

He talks about using the n-word. Which I don't do. Nor will I justify its use by other "Black" people. He talks about selling drugs because he can't find a job. Can't relate to that either. Can't relate to loving Tupac. Can't relate to the young man's hair style or even his dress. I wouldn't hire someone looking like that.

About the only thing we have in common, I think is the fact that we have gotten stopped by police for fitting the description or for looking like a criminal. Oh. . . and maybe we both voted for Barack Obama.

Can't really see much else there.

So I don't understand how it is supposed to give me hope for society. Maybe you can explain what it speaks to for you.

• Because his political views match the description of most black people's. And same goes for the white guy. And they were able to put their disagreement to the side and still love each other.

• I’ve only seen the video once but I did think it was interesting.

I don’t personally relate to the white guy either. Maybe I have some distant family like him I don’t see much. But basically I live around white people who never drop n bombs, who support nfl players kneeling etc etc. Who think trump is the worst president in a century.

My initial feeling is that it would have been easier to use more “moderate” people but that would have been a cop out. Sure middle class black people and middle class white liberals can get along pretty easily but that wasn’t the point. It was I guess to start with people on both sides who were more extreme and try to understand them a bit more. I don't know it was an interesting effort.

• @0112358 Well, again. . . if you found something helpful in it then I am happy for you. But portraying things accurately and showing the actual debate isn't a cop out. I get told all the time by insane crazed racists to get a job, to stop depending on the government, to stop listening to rap music, etc.

All because of inaccurate weird race discussions like this youtube video.

Again, race is an awful clumsy stupid, backwards way to classify people and until we reject it and actually try to understand each other beyond the silly stereotypes it uses, we will simply be chasing our tails.

• Everyone needs to Empty their shit for anything /anyone in front of a huge audience and then hug them or love them

• Exactly man that's what I love about this video. We can argue, but we shouldn't let that affect our love for one another.

• Shock jock wannabe in an opportunist manner. Tries to portray he is in tune but wouldn't know if his bum was on fire

Aside from this, he seems a lovely fellow.

• well, he beat the crap out of that strawman.

• I'm not racist either I hate everyone equally.

Haha I thought this was gonna be a country song when I saw the thumbnail of this bozo.

• Just the usual Trump=Hitler message we're bombarded with every day.

• Did you not watch the whole video?

• Whatever you say.

• That's what trump wants us to say see my opinion