Is Poverty a Choice?

Is Poverty a Choice?
  • Yes It Is a choice
  • No It isn't a choice
  • I Don't Know/ Other
    Vote C

1928

Most Helpful Girl

• Poverty isn’t really a choice, at times it can be but most of the time it’s not. A lot of it is due to lack of opportunities. Let me show you what I mean:

James is born in a wealthy family, his dad is the CEO of a company. James is quite lazy and not very hard working at all, but that’s not a problem because daddy will sort him into a top university, and then after that he will sort out a job for him and James will remain rich.

Maria is from a middle class family, her parents have saved up money since she was born so that she could afford to go to university. She does fairly well in school and gets into a decent university which gets her a decent job.

Joey is also from a middle class family however his parents haven’t been able to save up for Joey to attend university so Joey has to take a loan which leaves him in a great debt. The university he attends is alright but the job prospects are bleak, and internship is impossible because it’s not paid and he has a debt to pay back and rent to cover, so he has to get a low skilled job to cover that and ends up in a never ending cycle.

Danielle is from a poor neighbourhood living with a single mother, she goes to a very underfunded school, however she does very well in it and is hard working, but her mother is struggling to pay rent, and taking a loan to pay for university isn’t going to work because she need to get a low skilled job to help her mother and herself to make ends meet.

Now that doesn’t mean opportunities doesn’t present itself to the poor, it does, but far from the extent to that of the rich. The level of opportunities only increases the higher up the social ladder you go.

Most Helpful Guy

• No, it's not. In most cases it's because of circumstances that you can't control that leads to poverty. It's not like every poor people are spending all their moneys on gambling.

In some countries it's because of lack of opportunities that leads to poverty. Some are also born into poverty. If a country have too expensive education and health care system, only the richest one can afford it and the poorest can't. Not every countries provide free education or health care and any other support for the poor. Corrupted countries and countries with either war or nature catastrophes can also make it a developing country where it's a lot of poverty because of problems in the system.

If you're born with a severe medical condition or gets injured in an accident which isn't your fault, you can also get too injured or sick to being capable to work. That's not only cases that can occur in 2nd and 3rd world countries. It can happen around the whole world. Often they've worse economy than the average.