• No It isn't a choice
    Vote B
  • I Don't Know/ Other
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Poverty isn’t really a choice, at times it can be but most of the time it’s not. A lot of it is due to lack of opportunities. Let me show you what I mean:

James is born in a wealthy family, his dad is the CEO of a company. James is quite lazy and not very hard working at all, but that’s not a problem because daddy will sort him into a top university, and then after that he will sort out a job for him and James will remain rich.

Maria is from a middle class family, her parents have saved up money since she was born so that she could afford to go to university. She does fairly well in school and gets into a decent university which gets her a decent job.

Joey is also from a middle class family however his parents haven’t been able to save up for Joey to attend university so Joey has to take a loan which leaves him in a great debt. The university he attends is alright but the job prospects are bleak, and internship is impossible because it’s not paid and he has a debt to pay back and rent to cover, so he has to get a low skilled job to cover that and ends up in a never ending cycle.

Danielle is from a poor neighbourhood living with a single mother, she goes to a very underfunded school, however she does very well in it and is hard working, but her mother is struggling to pay rent, and taking a loan to pay for university isn’t going to work because she need to get a low skilled job to help her mother and herself to make ends meet.

Now that doesn’t mean opportunities doesn’t present itself to the poor, it does, but far from the extent to that of the rich. The level of opportunities only increases the higher up the social ladder you go.

3|3
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• No, it's not. In most cases it's because of circumstances that you can't control that leads to poverty. It's not like every poor people are spending all their moneys on gambling.

In some countries it's because of lack of opportunities that leads to poverty. Some are also born into poverty. If a country have too expensive education and health care system, only the richest one can afford it and the poorest can't. Not every countries provide free education or health care and any other support for the poor. Corrupted countries and countries with either war or nature catastrophes can also make it a developing country where it's a lot of poverty because of problems in the system.

If you're born with a severe medical condition or gets injured in an accident which isn't your fault, you can also get too injured or sick to being capable to work. That's not only cases that can occur in 2nd and 3rd world countries. It can happen around the whole world. Often they've worse economy than the average.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 18

• I don't think it is a choice. Some circumstances are very hard to overcome and if you have never been in that situation you can't say that it is a choice. Some people are mentally and physically unable to be able to have full time jobs. Some people have medical conditions or have dependents with medical conditions that drain all their income. Fighting poverty is definitely doable, but some people have more factors you can't even imagine working against them.

1|2
    0|0
  • Poverty a choice? Are you kidding me? The hell not, I'd rather be wealthy and so would anyone else. It is more a factor of people who live in poverty have reclined their heads long enough to understand that poverty isn't all the bad and have come to accept it, learn to live with it. To be chill.

1|1
    0|0
    • If they accepted it that makes it their choice, meaning poverty is a choice. You're contradicting yourself right there.

• Accepting isn't a choice it's a settlement.

• It sort of is though, you choose to settle with what you have instead of working really hard to get something better.

• some times it is not a choice and you are born into it. My mom and dad were born into a war torn country and my parents lived with no food, eating only roots to survive along with killing birds and fishing to eat. They had zero money, zero food. They lived in the jungles and they were born into that. Communists were bombing their villages every day...

0|2
    0|0
    • Communism is poverty on steroids

• Show All
    • @love_conquers_lust it was a technical degree, he got it from a tech school. My family is from Laos. When the commies took over, we came to the USA. My dad is gifted in languages though, he knows French, Hmong, Laotion, Thai and easily picked up English.

• Please be accurate and call it as such. It's a Mechanical Engineering Technical Degree. Not as rigorous as a Mechanical Engineering Degree which oft refers to those with a B. S., M. S., or PhD which come from accredited schools.

"easily picked up English" Doubt that.

But yeah, communists are incompetent. So are you Hmong? And it looks like the US did you guys a huge favor taking you in. So do you support president Trump?

• Why would anyone choose to be poor?
    A person would have to be extremely weird and stupid if they choose to be poor
    How you choose to deal with poverty is a choice

4|2
    0|0
  • It depends, I’m speaking from a first world Canadian standpoint. Now it’s hard to get out of poverty but most people in my life have done it, my grandparents, my best friends parents, and many in my community. Most people I know whom remain lower class are either sick, have problems with drugs, or are simply lazy. For some it’s not a choice, and for others it’s a culmination of bad choices.

1|1
    0|0
  • not completely. I know how its like living with low amounts of money. its surely not a choice in my case. some people put themselves into it too much by spending too much on things they don't need. others are stuck in it because of sucky work.

1|1
    0|0
  • I do and Don’t for most part no cause lot people working hard not to get in there. But there also people try work the system like food stamps things like that and live better then people who are working. I also I think the systems build to keep some people down.

0|1
    0|0
  • If you’re born into poverty then it’s really hard to leave it. It takes a lot of work to survive and even more to be middle class. I would know since were really poor

1|1
    0|0
  • Depends. Voluntary unemployed people and beggars, people who are broke and still spend on unnecessary stuff, well yup poverty was their own choice. Sometimes it is by the government, sometimes it's about education.

0|1
    1|0
  • How can it be a choice? If you think so then you're ignorant and insensitive.

2|3
    1|1
  • Show more from Girls

What Guys Said 27

• Yes, all these dumb children in Africa are choosing to starve. They're just so freaking lazy, they have no work ethos.
    /sarcasm off

3|2
    1|0
    • Still it not sarcasm that is really mean what u said about the people... Put your self in there place and see how u would feel

• Im extremely sorry thank u for helping me understand I was always taught sarcasm was joking.. And i never got to complete my education I was also abused , neglected, rape , etc so I am extremely sorry I do thank u for explaining

• it depends. some people make choices that lead to poverty. some have poverty thrust upon them

1|4
    0|0
  • this is a complex question, as some individuals actively choose to live bellow the poverty line, for example, the united states has a very diverse economy and each state operates differently then the last. in some states/towns/cities it's completely possible to live under what's considered the poverty line and do so fairly prosperously, in other parts of thee united states its easier to find high paying jobs. so distribution of one's self is key.

1|1
    0|0
    • however it does very from case to case, some people simply don't have the option, so realisticly it's harder to grab a broader hold on this subject

• Depends on your country. Some countries are so stricken with financial strain that the individuals there can't climb the latter into a more suitable living condition and comfort regardless how many hours and effort of work they put in.

So, in those particular cases it isn't their fault.

2|2
    0|0
  • It depends upon what country one lives in.

In the US, it is a choice. However, many people in poverty, not being very smart to begin with, don't always know they are making that choice.

Have sex without being married and without being on birth control is a choice to live in poverty, for example. Get a divorce: "I want to be poor". Drop out of high school, "I want to be really poor".

1|2
    2|0
    • Not necessary. If you're born with a medical conditions for example and your parents dies, and you can't work, then it's not a choice. If you were careful, but someone else wasn't and they hurt you like in a car accident for example, so you gets too injured to work, then it's not a choice either.

• Show All
    • Yes, it's except if there's no cooperative or cheap enough insurance companies available. It's all about money in some businesses. Not every insurances covers it properly and some insurances are expensive.

• @curiousnorway
      One can buy insurance to cover ANYTHING.

It is one's choice to decide what to spend one's money on. If one believes a new car payment is more important than comprehensive medical insurance, then fine. But live with it.

• People like to pretend it's not, but it often is. If yiu give someone a place to eat and take a shower they will gladly never work a day in their life. In my country at least, almost all of the people living on the streets could fix their situation if they wanted to. Unless you're a crackhead or downright insane, you can find a job somewhere, even if it means picking up your things and moving west to another state

0|2
    0|0
  • Completely depends on the country, the person, the situation etc etc Sometimes there are people who do two jobs and can barely support their family. There might have been some bad choices along the way, but at that point there really is none.

1|1
    0|0
  • You're born into poverty, there's not much you can do about it. But you have to make a choice whether to go out there and hustle and make a difference and become rich or let your surrounding influence you to stay poor. I was born in a poor family, but I am working towards becoming the worlds richest man and I know I will.

0|2
    0|0
  • Not if you're born into it or you're forced into poverty because of others.

But there are people who are reckless with their finances who end up in poverty. That almost makes it a choice. Poverty is really only truly a choice by people who don't want money.

0|1
    0|0
  • No, it's not. For some people, sure they can make better choices that would prevent them from being so bad off. But there's an upper limit to how far just being smart will get you before sheer luck becomes an issue.

0|1
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

Recommended myTakes