Has Donald Trump United the Nation?

A campaign promise reiterated throughout candidate Trump's campaign was that he would unite the America specifically "Unite a Divided Nation by Being 'President for All Americans'".

As we approach 1 year into his presidency do you feel President Trump has united a divided nation?

• Nation is more united
  • Nation is more divided
  • Nothing has changed
    Vote C

1036

Most Helpful Girl

• People have been divided for a long time; however, it seems that the strain has further aggravated under Trump's administration. It is not plausible to declare that Trump himself caused this division; rather, it is the manner how differently people intercept policies enforced under Trump's tenure that contributes to the ever-worsening divide. Trump's subordinates in the Executive Branch, members of the Congress, and the Judiciary all have something to do under the current administration.

I reckon that a divide has been there as early as the caucuses took place and as early as the campaign trails of each presidential candidate commenced. With regards to Trump's victory over other presidential candidates, two points of view towards the future of the USA— the positive and the negative— emerged. I had heard of some Americans intending to immigrate to neighboring Canada upon Trump's victory, and, frankly, to non-Americans, that was absurd. I doubt if they actually committed themselves to that decision.

The divide is not limited to American citizens and nationals. This divide extends to foreign populations, particularly, its eminence among foreign political leaders. Travel bans enforced into law under Trump, despite its benefit to the USA's end, had instigated protests overseas, as well as the withdrawal from global pacts such as the Paris Accord.

• i truly appreciate your answer and the thought you put into it. but if protests are erupting because of trumps travel ban isn't that increased division a result of trump? if protests, violence, anger or general conflicts arise over his policies or things he says, then isn't HE the source of the division?

• Donald Trump is not the source of the division, per se; rather, Trump is the source of the message that people process and internalize. Ultimately, it is the people that unite or divide at their will or when they deem that an affiliation or a disaffiliation would go in their favor or not.

• good point!

Most Helpful Guy

• No, quite the opposite actually. Whether you like him or dislike him, you'd have to be blind not to see that he widened the chasm between Republicans and Democrats and even created a divide within the Republican party itself.

What Girls Said 9

• No, he's worked to divide us in so many ways, not just political but racial, economic, and geographic.

• I'm really not sure. It's hard to tell whether it's more divided or if it's just as divided as it's always been and people are just more gutsy with screaming their shitty opinions everywhere.

• Whoever said it's more United has clearly been asleep hahaha

I don't even live in the US and I know that is a lie lmao

• I say more divided.

• No, there are still people dumb enough to think that he's doing a good job. Smart people were already united against him.

• many people already made up their minds to be against him and hate everything about him even before he was elected.

• i don't doubt that's true. but then is he still the source of some division? do you think he's done anything to close the divide and unite the country?

• @Jabrody i don't listen to western news and japanese news are all against and mocking him

• There's a reason for their mockery. He's not doing so well, and he's giving the impression he's doing "great" 😂

• Nah, it's much worse now.

• or maybe it just seemed like it was ok before because people were bottling it up?

• That too. People aren't just more racist, more conservative, more liberal, more etc etc. it's their own opinions just amplified.

• No he hasn't but he isn't the divider and he's not doing anything that is keeping it divided. It's the first year. Media and extremist groups are dividing from what I've been witnessing.

• so you feel like he is uniting the nation?

• I answered that question... I would just be copy and paste my reply.

• Don't you think he's making the divide more obvious then ever before? His campaign's main agenda was to literally divide us from other countries. If you had any kind of a relationship with someone from a foreign country (specifically Mexico, or the Middle East), you might feel differently

• Trump has divided the nation in many aspects. Somehow, many have seen that he has awakened more masses to "reclaim America for 'real' Americans!"

• Anyway, regardless of who's POTUS, I think we should all see that we have enemies within our borders and across the oceans that want to hurt us or wipe us out at any cost. Is it hard to agree we (Caucasians, African Americans, Latin Americans, Native Americans, Asian Americans, etc.) should band together and protect our gifted nation aside from just ourselves?

• The problem is, what do you mean by "protect." That word can have a dramatically different meaning for a right winger, than for even a moderate Democrat. One man's "protect", is another man's frequent racial profiling and harassment, etc. One man's "protect" may be to deny all entry of people from certain nations, but is seen by another man, as a foolish idea, that makes it easier to radicalize, and recruit terrorists both here and abroad. Etc.

What Guys Said 35

• I think we were always divided. But his Presidency has highlighted those divisions. We are a silly society. You would think we could have a mature conversation about the divisions and what should be done to mitigate or resolve them.

But we are too immature. We can only be passive-aggressive and use micro-agressions in speaking to each other. There are people who believe in Trump's sh! thole comments, but lie and try to pretend they believe in equality of opportunity or fairness. They believe in that groups should be ranked and given opportunities based upon their ranking.

And for as long as we lack the courage to speak honestly, we will have this weird silliness with our engagement of each other, where we simply revolve around in a big circle over and over again.

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...f8b0e36199.gif

• Upvote for a they live reference

• @Waffles731 I loved that flick. They should remake it with a better script and bigger budget.

• The five minute fight scene between the leads that starts and stops, its both hysterical and probably one of the best choreographed fight scenes in history

• The nation is more united, and yes he did it, only by being so sharable that people have found common ground in their dislike for him

• The nation from what I observed was divided long before Trump's time, but one can argue that Trump's presidency only accelerated the aggression from both sides and as a result became more divisive as time went on.

It's a very interesting point in the US's situation and I'm pretty damn sure that the next few years long after Trump's presidency will be uncharted territories for the powerhouse country.

• Trump has united part of the nation. He has united the white supremacists racists, and the Nazi's, with the Republican party.

• Unfortunately the country "elected" a reality TV celebrity. There never has been and never will be a popular reality TV show based on everyone getting along. He intentionally makes bold statements to keep people talking even if it is diametrically opposed to a statement he made the day, week, or month before.

• Nation is more divided. Nobody will ever unite the nation unless the USA is attacked like with 9/11. People from both political sides hate the guts of the other, so it's rather impossible to unite the nation. That is, unless a couple towers in New York are taken down once again.

• You obviously don't know any black people, or what they go through. Cops come looking for them, off of "suspicion" alone. Do you know what it's like to be deemed suspicious everytime something goes down? Do you understand the kind of pressure it puts on a man to be intimidated by police, and know you're innocent? Your first instinct in any situation where you know you're innocent, is to stand your ground. Are you familiar with our court systems, and how hard it is for a poor person to get a fair trial? You're not actually giving any facts, your spurting headlines

• You can call liberal's "pussies" all you want, but this is the second time I've confronted/debated with a "conservative", and been blocked. Can't handle your own insecurities?

• haha i agree

• I full heartedly believe he's going to be "the straw, that breaks the camel's back" though. Meaning, enough is enough. There are too many loopholes in our society, if this man can make it anywhere near presidency.

I think more people are waking up too, but I don't think he deserves the credit

• I don't follow politics hardly at all so I have no idea. Everything seems normal to me.

• The US was already divided before the election. The rednecks have simply become more vocal now that they have their man in the White House.

• why shouldn't a certain group of people be represented and feel ok about voicing their opinion just because you want to label them and think that they are lower than any other group?

• @COCOCHANEL Did may tone indicate disapproval? Because I was trying to sound neutral.

• The USA are more divided now

• Nation is more divided for sure.

• The country has been divided for a long time but trump made it worse definitely

• The opposite. But he's not solely to blame. They way his opponents have responded has been less than ingenious.

• Hahahaha, this is such a funny question. Trump has definitely divided the nation, and it started the day he read his inauguration speech.

• Obviously not hahaha

• No, but that's nothing against him. Whoever is in office, there are always those among the populace that refuse to be united, and no president can force unity where unity is actively resisted.

• You'll never unite the Democrats they are a bunch of sniveling whiny candy asses

• "you'll never unite the democrats"

it would appear they are 100% united (or close to it) against trump

• I create the facts. You're delusional, You're trying to act like it's the same comparison to Donald Trump protest and it's not at all so there's nothing more to say here. You just keep dragging it on and on. It's obviously you're pro obama and we can have a thousand disputes between the two and each dispute you would back up Obama 100% and trying to make it like I'm delusional which is not true. I rest my case here

• You're obviously a very bigoted man. I don't understand your argument what-so-ever! You want him to admit the protests were bigger? They were, without a doubt! But how does that support your original argument? If anything, it goes completely against it. If "Democrat's" (and I say that in quotations, because they weren't all Democrats) are such, "sniveling whinney candy asses", that can't be united; how did all these huge, organized, protests happen?

I understood what he was saying after the first reply. Both sides have always opposed each other. You keep saying stuff like, you can pick one person out of the crowd, and call it a protest. That makes no sense! If they're in a crowd, wouldn't that be a protest? Or are you referring to interviews, or something; because he wasn't. And your main rebuttal is, he's "pro Obama"; as if anything he says to prove his point, is to defend Obama personally. You're clearly deflecting facts, and calling them opinion

• @jabrody- Wikipedia is NOT a source with integrity-and your argument against Trump is hopelessly flood on so many levels. Cocochanel is right- your statement are the. Same old tired talking points put out by those who have trump the rangement syndrome, like you. Lol

• Obama and the liberal media divided the country. It has stayed that way, just the liberals are more obvious now for how much they hate anyone that doesn't agree with them.

• since there are far more people than just liberals who don't feel united the question still remains. you're drawing the lines far too simplistically.

• Seems to me you know you're an offensive person though. You can't put a face, or name behind your bigotry

• @Jabrody You're obviously very racist and ignore actual statistical facts. I'm done with you.

• One way I'll say it's United. It's United against him.

• No definitely not there is a lot of bitter feelings on both sides. The division has only worsended.

• The act of Donald Trump becoming president has divided America more, but this is through no fault of his own.

• A president who makes up excuses for white supremacists can do nothing but divide the nation.

• He can't eat enough steak fast enough for me

• Nation is more united

• On the surface it seems that Trump is the light of reason in the sea of leftist liberal madness. But he's a snake as well. A wolf in sheep's clothing.

• It may appear that the nation is more divided when you look at the two political parties. I believe he has done well in bring the races together once again. He/we have a long ways to go.

• He's done absolutely nothing to soothe any kind of race relations at all

• @madhatters4 with the receipts 👊👊👊

• Could it be that many crimes in the past never were classified as hate crimes? I see your point.

• Impossible task with how butt hurt so many people were there's no way. I don't know what he could do honestly, he would have to just let democrats control him and they would still probably be pissed

• The Democrats don't want to unite.

• the nation is more divided than ever before, maybe not as divided when segregation was around, but it seems to be heading in that direction on how divided the entire nation had became

• More from Guys
    5