Is Makeup Art Racist, Compared To Blackface?

My brother is a makeup artist. He is pretty good at it and can transform himself into many celebrities. Can example of this work is a video I posted.

My family is white. My younger brother is as white as they come. He did a thing for his university (a small community college), a Talent Show and they kicked him out of it because some students and faculty said it was borderline racist and it's basically black/brown/yellow face. Eventually, he got into a fight with some Mexican students who accuse him of racism because he did George Lopez in the talent show and my brother got threatened to get kicked out of college for creating an unsafe environment, even though he went to the faculty beforehand and told them he was being harassed by some of the other students.

I don't understand the comparison between blackface and makeup celebrity transformations. Blackface was used by racist white people at a time to make fun and degrade black people with exaggerated features and they used super black skin, really big nose and painted on giant lips etc. What my brother and many paying homages to celebrities and figures, presenting them in an accurate depiction, taking a long time to study their faces and appreciate their facial aesthetics. Like WTF?

618

What Girls Said 6

• Honestly, I think that make up artists transforming themselves into other people is not racist.

Black face is racist but it's different, it's a condescending caricature of black features.

• I understand where the people were coming from and i understand where you're coming from too, but at the end of the day, it doesn't matter the intention, it's still technically blackface.

• I'm pretty fucking certain the guy in the video is not your brother.

• And no one cares when people of color have surgery to look white or bleach their skin...

What Guys Said 18

• blackface is racist because it is making a white person up based on prejudicial beliefs of what black people look like. e. g. incredibly white teeth, wide mouths and overly large lips, bugged out eyes

• "White person" has nothing to do with it. Trust me, Arab shows are still doing it in their movies all the time.

• @InTimoreDei you are right. i was thinking in america where it has been white people who used blackface. but you are correct. any race or ethnicity using make up in a way that highlights racial prejudices would be using "black face"

• No, it's not at all. I don't think people understand what blackface is.

This is blackface.
    www.nachtkabarett.com/.../..._blackface_jolson.jpg

It's unrealistic and comical, designed to humiliate black people. It's not attempting to be realistic.

This is attempting to use makeup in order to resemble a certain person, in your example Drake.
    big.nl/.../Naamloos-4-780x360.jpg

Now firstly Drake is half black, half white. Secondly even if he was black, he's his own unique person. He's not defined by his race. Just because someone attempts to look like him doesn't mean they're attempting to laugh at his race. They're simply attempting to look like a certain person, that person may be white, black, brown whatever.

• Those are just jealous bitches that can't handle the fact that your brother is better at applying makeup.

• Racism has to be intentional, you have to go out of your way to be racist, any other time it's just that someone is offended by someone not intended to do so.

Also, as a couple of side-notes: 1: I wish people would stop qualifying their views on topics, and 2: We need to stop inheriting the crimes of previous generations. I will not be forced into guilt everytime racism is brought up, I have partaken in it so why would I feel or act as if I am the one to blame.

• No, I wouldn't say so. He's not just painting his face black. he's actually applying a certain colour in order to be a certain person. Im sure plenty of people try to find issue with it but is it really any different from buying a mask of any of the people he tries to look like? I wouldn't say so. Id say its perfectly fine.

• I swear, people who consider blackface and this as racist should be sent to a psychiatric hopital.
    Seeing racism in absolutly everything is nothing more than insanity. Being obsessed by race so much shows that the racist isn't the one they target, but themselves.

• Not at all, people are just hella sensitive now

• Still like Robert Downey's character better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6WHBO_Qc-Q

• Liberals are very mentally unstable and think EVERYTHING is offensive. This angers me that this happened to you. Go to Fox News. These morons need to be exposed for who they really are. They're the ones who should be euthanized. But when they burn out flags, is okay. Fucking morons.

• If you can somehow blame white people for it, obviously it's racist. The charge of racism is invariably made towards white people.

• I think races need to separate, and then whatever happens will never again be 'racist'. I am sick to death of listening about everything being 'racist'.

• Honestly these days... What ISN'T racist against black people

• No its not

• I think it's wrong to kick him out.

• Enjoyed your video lol

• Dafuq is blackface

• you shouldn't use makeup to look like another race ever point blank period