Does a super power like the US, have a moral obligation to help other people/countries in the world facing some form of catastrophe?

Even if the country doesn’t specifically ask for the US’s help, but are suffering from a dictatorship and genocide.

2478

Most Helpful Girls

• Um, fuck no. Not morally, or politically. South Korea? We spent BILLIONS so they can sit back and laugh at us. Ever been to South Korea? They absolutely hate Americans. Yet, we keep 30,000 troops on their border. The average cost to deploy an American soldier is 40k per year. That’s money we don’t have, our country is buried in debt. A large sum of that debt was brought on by taking care of other countries problems. The Paris Treaty was literally pouring our resources into other developing countries— we didn’t benefit AT ALL. The Middle East? Yes, it’s wrong what’s happening. Is it our “duty” to take care of it? No. More than 20% of our federal income goes to foreign aid.
    I hate Donald Trump, but he has a point. It should be America First- the rest of the world prioritizes themselves, why should we be any different?

• Haha I didn't know anything about Trump thought he's goofy looking however now he's grown on me he's ten times smarter than those leftist goober smooches

• @Valiant
      First i am sorry that your friend had to suffer the mofos that tormented should rot in hell.
      Second If leaving a country is better as @keenybmr pointed out is for the better than that is great. However my concern lies for poor countries like somalia, niger, tanzania, burundi. You guys don't understand how much difference you can make for them. Your meal in restaurant is is like their monthly wage. USA has been helping through projects like Aid to Africa and it is much appreciated and should be continued.
      Third if you help someone just with the intention of getting something in return as @Theundergoundman said... Well thats fucked up.
      Reading these replies seems like radical nationalism is strong in USA.

• Hi, if you are talking about USAID, I dont think its entirely just money given to poor countries for development.

USAID has been banned in some countries. Basically they give money conditionally. I am not that apt on explaining this well so:

qz.com/203935/countries-are-right-to-ban-usaid/

I found this for you

• It truly depends on the circumstances, but I would think that it is be more beneficial for the US to help ourselves first before we even attempt helping others.
    Last I heard, Puerto Rico had another island-wide power outage, Michigan was no longer offering bottled water to Flint residents, and Oklahoma teachers were not being paid a living wage.

• But, we’re never going to reach a point where all of our problems will be solved. In other words, I get what you’re saying but it’s impossible to not have any problems whatsoever. Does this mean a capable super power shouldn’t try and aid a country suffering a genocide or evil dictatorship?

Most Helpful Guys

• Let me say this: No one else is doing so. The UN SHOULD be doing something, but sadly certain powers within the UN are completely neutering it

If the US doesn't step in, imagine who else will. Russia? China? Are you okay with that?

Some say that the US not being the world police isn't as extreme as isolationism, but pulling back from where we are now just extends countries with abysmal democratic and human rights efforts to take our place. I don't like it one bit, and we'll eat our words 10 to 20 years down the line.

Are we morally obligated? Yes and no. We weren't exactly the ones that created this mess (that would be Europe) but we have had our selfish days, as well.

• Yes I agree with that. Now, I DO NOT agree that we should be quick to send in our troops into harms way until absolutely necessary. I’m not advocating for the free range use of our troops like that at all. I’m saying that a capable super power should have an obligation to help those that cannot help themselves and are suffering a terrible calamity.

• I agree. Willy-nilly, that's an awful idea and causes more harm than good. But I don't want China to become as powerful as it wants to be. And Russia, though weak, is snatchin shit back.

• Unfortunately it takes a lot of willingness, to understand all the interconnected moving parts, the various nations history of conflict, the risk they impose on destabilization to neighbors, their foreign policy, all the stakeholders involved, people are really naive thinking the US does what it does, purely for its own interest.
    The US hardly gets any of its oil for the Middle East, Asia and Europe or the beneficiaries, but indirectly its the global markets and stabilization is why the US has an interest in the Middle East and related foreign policy. Simply being emotional and having a knee jerk reaction is what all the sheeple do, if you really want to get answers, you have to do lots of research and you will find it’s very complicated, trying to keep the peace

• Yeah, you’re right but on a broad/general belief, do you think that a capable superpower has an obligation to help those who need it? Such as a 3rd world country that doesn’t even have a sliver of military budget that the US has nor the same levels of prosperity?

• I’ve known people to work in the intelligence community, and they go so black and White, never confused, they would say “you really don’t want to know what we know, it’s a burden” so there is a great deal of undercurrent invisible to the media, all I know is Hussein had to go, according to everyone basically who were in a position to have an opinion of influence on the matter, he really could of started an apocalyptic like world war in the Middle East shutting down global economies in the process

• Yeah I definitely agree with that. The undercurrent/unknown knowledge to the public.