Why do some men believe every woman gets hit on every second of every day?

I believe for certain women this can be true, but not for the majority. I think men who believe the above question to be true probably lack real world experience or are being influenced by some MGTOW type of sources. I think this is one of many examples of men not understanding what women experience or not experience daily, a misinformed view of the other gender

4|2

Most Helpful Girl

• They obviously haven't asked a lot of women, or they only asked women who have Victoria's Secret bodies. Average women don't get hit on that often, and honestly it's rarely because they just want to get to know us, if you know what I mean (I'm sure you do)

2|1
    0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• Not many believe that, and if they do then I agree, they don't understand. That being said, it does happen too much, in harassing or threatening ways and the fact that many women anticipate and prepare for some sort of conflict before they even leave the house is why it's a problem. Being hit on is a bad term for it, as it's not all of the problem, women are pretty much sexualized in anything they do. So it's just a constant, and whenever I guy approches or catcalls or harasses, there is a known chance that it may escalate. It adds a whole nother layer of stress and awarness that for the most part, men don't experience

2|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 38

• A warped understanding of how the world works, they think women get showered with attention simply because they feel lonely/excluded and they start believing extremes.
    I’ve only ever been approached once in public by a stranger who wanted to ask me out. Most of the guys I’ve known or been interested in have never really flirted with me, asked me out or made a move. Only a few of them, and usually only after I’ve made it really clear that I’m into them. Otherwise it’s rare for people to just hit on me or show interest, if we exclude gross catcalling on the street (and even that doesn’t happen all that frequently because I rarely go out at night).
    And I’m considered to be slightly above average in looks by a lot of people, I guess. But I don’t have a long line of men waiting for me to get single, who are willing to die for me or something (whatever extreme bs some guys come up with). None of the girls I’ve ever known have had any sort of ”line” of men, and most of them get hit on somewhat rarely, though that depends how often they go out. By actual good guys, it’s kinda rare to get showered with attention. They tend to be more reserved and respectful. Assholes will always scream at the top of their lungs how nice your ass is, but I don’t consider that to make a guy interesting. Also it just proves how badly they just want a reaction from you/how they want to come off as ”alpha” or some other BS, rather than proves any genuine interest in me (or any other girls) as people.

1|0
    0|1
  • Can't say this happen literally every 15 minutes, but regularly. I get hit on like every 2 days irl. But on GAG, it's every day. It really depends on who you're talking to.
    Though I know absolutely nobody who thinks that women get hit on many, many times per day.

1|1
    0|0
  • This is probably one of your very few questions that have a smart and realistic viewpoint.

Yeah most men do think that being a woman means attention 24/7 and special treatment. Couldn’t be further from the truth.

It seems more like men want to be the opposite because of this belief. So this makes most men NOT giving women attention.

0|0
    0|2
  • Women do not get hit on 24/7 a day you’re right women get glances at often but they definitely don’t get hit on all the time or we wouldn’t leave the house also what’s MGTOW?

1|1
    0|0
  • Well.. you got something right. You know shit about women

3|6
    1|3
    • Exactly, When I was with my ex girlfriend she got hit on a few times a day when we went out and by herself even more and sometimes it was aggressive and harrassing. There's a right and wrong way to go about things and for a guy to tell women how they should feel is down right disrespectful.

• @BeReal26 I liked you. Nicely done.

• Because they see themselves as a victim and search for information that supports their viewpoint even if its ridiculous.

3|3
    0|0
    • No because we are in touch with reality

• Show All
    • As a woman who is considered attractive by societal standards, you would think i would fall into that 90%, right?

• I obviously can't speak for every woman, but i know plenty of women who are very attractive who dont get constantly hit on.

• I’ve never heard any guy claim the believe some women get hit on every second of every day much less every woman. I’ve also never heard a woman claim this either. So I guess some men that believe are detached from reality?

2|1
    0|0
  • Yeah I agree. I'm not exactly pretty, but I'm not exactly ugly either, but I never get guys coming up to me or perusing me online. Every male interest I've had came from approaching a guy, talking to him, making him feel comfortable and attempting to flirt, then he'll admit feelings. Even then it's only 40% effective.

0|0
    0|1
  • When i was in retail I would get hit on often - mainly by older men that dont understand sexual harrassment
    Now I dont get hit on often though I dont put myself in situations that are ideal for being hit on and I also dont do customer service.

0|0
    0|0
    • Did they force you to do it? 😨

• @SilverRain92 force me to do what?
      Usually it was guys making sexual comments
      I had a few gets handsy. At first it was shock that took over so I didn't do anything. But after the second time i knew i had to start standing up for myself.
      The scariest was when 3 bigs guys came and blocked me in my car.. My door was open So two were standing in the door and the third was infront of the car. I managed to get out but not without a "damn that ass" and a few other remarks.

• Oh, poor girl. But it's good that you managed to hide from these guys

• Because they think it's always easier for women when its not the case. Growing up I didn't get hit on, most of the guysI liked never liked me back and thought I was unattractive. Even know, I don't get approached or hit on by other men at all.

2|0
    0|1
  • I dunno, but it’s the truth for me. I was wondering if it happens to other women too. I don’t think it’s strictly some men who believe this. Since I experience this, I think other women must too. It’s honestly just based on each person’s individual experience in life, I wouldn’t say it’s because of a misinformed view on the other gender

0|0
    0|0
  • Most of the time it's catcalling, not actually hitting on and it's really annoying.

But people have different ideas on what actually counts as flirting.

2|1
    0|0
  • I don't get hit on a lot even though I'm considered to be pretty. I'm an introvert and I dress rather modest. My sister in law who is a hottie and an extrovert and dresses very sexy gets hit on quite a bit.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's not every second but it happens at least once a day

0|6
    0|0
    • when someone approach u , what do u usually feel annoyed or delighted? Do u also approach approach someone?/ How often u approach someone?

• Its been a long time since I got hit by someone.
    Its been two years since a guy asked me out.
    And thses experience have nothing to do with my appearance.

I've seen guys put girls on some kind of sexual pedestal.
    So yeah, I agree with you

1|0
    0|0
    • If that’s what u need to tell yourself to make u feel better.. go for it :)

• The reason is that i never went out.
      My school days are over. My friend circle is same since I was a kid. Im not in any college yet, I work from home. So I get little to no interaction with male population.

• How about at your job?

• I mean, I would never discourage guys from trying, but don't illude yourself either. If a girl is both beautiful and extroverted, she DOES get asked out a lot.

0|3
    0|0
  • I don't get hit on at all. If it happens, I'll be in shock, but probably somewhat flattered as long as they're not creepy or make me uncomfortable about it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Probably because they don't even register all the other women who don't get hit on every second. They have tunnel vision and can only see the hottie and whoever blocks their view on her by speaking to her.

0|0
    0|1
  • I work with all guys and as soon as I walk out the door to leave someone hits on and their all really shocked about it

0|0
    0|0
  • It’s definitely not true for me! Guys who believe that are most likely insecure and feel like they’re below others.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Girls

What Guys Said 57

• because i think serves to inflate their sense of inequality in flirting, dating, etc between the genders. if you want to feel like one gender has it easy compared to another, some may create reasons that are not especially rational to confirm their sense of unfairness

0|1
    0|0
  • Some guys are just misinformed. I have a sister and it helps to clear any misinformation.

3|0
    0|0
  • I completely agree with you, but there are also a lot of women who claim to get hit on everyday, some who are not even attractive, and it leads me to wonder if a lot of women are just perceiving some statement or interaction from a guy as hitting on her when he's really not.

0|2
    0|0
  • A little bit of insecurity, a little bit of confirmation bias, a little bit of generalizing. I also imagine they're exaggerating for dramatic effect. I don't believe those guys who believe women get hit on a lot believe all women do. Like the unattractive chicks probably don't. I think what they mean is that the attractive chicks, the ones they're interested in, get a lot of attention. They might observe this in real life or they might see it online. For example, there's already several girls who answered saying they get hit on on almost a daily occurrence. Then there's girls on this site that say their attractive friends get hit on every time they go out. So, with a little help from selection bias its easy to make the conclusion that attractive women get lots of attention. Perhaps not daily, but enough to make a guy assume he has no chance with her. Now what constitutes attention is a broad bag. Online, cat-calling, stares, random approaches, physical advances, etc. That all falls under attention, so its not hard to conclude that attractive women get attention. However, if we were to shorten this list to how often they get asked out on a date, I think it wouldn't be as often as we think.

0|0
    0|0
  • I call B. S. not that men don't believe this,.. but women are just as guilty! Every interaction I have with a women turns into "she was flirting with you!" From my ex wife, g/fs even platonic female friends seem to get catty and defensive of me when I talk to a waitress, or a female class mate, or a girl at the gym, w/e it is

0|0
    1|0
  • I think it depends on where you live, like if you're in a major centre, or a small village, or something in between. I know chicks who have pretty much never left the city, and others who've never been to a big city. They are on completely different sides of the spectrum. Also, some like going to bars, some don't. It's where they place themselves and how available they are to the being hit on.

2|0
    0|0
  • Some women believe that too. Some people think the world is flat. Turns out the world is just filled with stupid self serving people. Look at the popularity contest we call an election in the U. S. Next election I'm voting for Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

0|0
    0|0
  • They're probably someone like me who want a romantic relationship, but were turned down or aren't confident enough to ask someone out. They then feel angry and jealous, because it's easier to rant about others instead of making big changes in their lives.

What's easier to say?
    "Gee, I'm single and I don't like that. I need to ask someone else out or try to work up the nerve!"
    or
    "If only I had pussy I would have a boyfriend and a nice car by now!"

0|0
    0|0
  • Don't know if that is the case , but doubt it here in the reserved UK , also the vast majority of women do not want men bugging them , it is inappropriate to bother someone trying to go about their , normally busy day ! I am certainly NOT one of those guys. Females will always receive male attention in some form , men generally desire women more than vice versa.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well I dunno about that
    But you do hear a lot of women saying they get hit on very often and women complaining about how they can't keep up with all the mail they get on dating sites... so I guess I might understand why some could have that impression maybe
    I think though that some of this getting hit on is not particularly serious...

0|0
    0|0
  • What men do think is that attractive women get hit on all the time, which the opposite is actually true. Attractive women actually get approached a lot less -- because men are intimidated by them, we think they're "out of our league", or we automatically assume they have a boyfriend. And usually all of the above.

0|0
    1|0
  • I think many women get hit on everyday , only because they are "hot" to some or most guys , not all guys lack world experience some are just taught that they should act like this , and guys get the same treatment women are just a bit more smarter and can hide it better 🙂

0|0
    0|0
  • Well I'm sure no woman gets hit on every second.. LOL.. Not even every hour IRL that is.. But I guess they goin off of how it is online cause that's where most of the hittin come from..

0|0
    0|0
  • Are you gay? How have you not noticed girls often intentionally dress in an attempt to have a bunch of random guys fighting for there attention? Not all girls are sluts but they all want to be noticed.

0|0
    0|0
  • Every girl is beautiful in her own way, and there are always admirer to the Beauty , so if not everyday (if someone does so, he's sick and psycho) , but 2-3 times a week, guy will definitely hit/approach his beauty to try and get her.

0|0
    0|0
  • The world is so large and there are so many people it`s a statistical impossibility for it to not happend at least every 3 seconds. And i haven`t even heard of this until now but it just makes sense.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't believe most guys think that, and I don't even know what mgtow is or why there are guys who go that way. But, I'm not sure you understand what women go through. As a result of women being approached, how guys can approach women, cat call, being too forward and how women deal with so many things that we guys don't have to think of as far as surroundings. I have empathy and I think you and other guys don't have the understanding of what women go through as far as how it feels being approached and where they are being approached and why it matters. And why it doesn't register sometimes to guys because of our size, and don't have to fear the same stuff women do

0|0
    0|0
  • The question probably misrepresents the reality.

But if you check statistics (which are a good proxy to reality), women have access through tinder or the likes to around 500 matches a week, which is about 20 times more than men do in average...
    And being a math teacher, I would add that this average is highly influenced by the very few men at the top, since the top 20% of men consume about 80% of the sex practiced by all men.

Last but not least, to bring the point home, bottom tier (bottom 20% in terms of looks) women receive more messages than the highest tier men.

My question to you: how would YOU describe, in very concrete aspects (quantified if possible) the difference of experience between men and women?

0|2
    1|0
    • Science damn you! Let the man be a whie knight.

But seriously. Men and women both need more encouragement to 'hit' or meet up and engage in relationships. Loneliness kills, slowly.

• Finally a logical opinion

• Maybe they want to dwell in their misery, of not getting as much attention.
    Or possibly they want it to be true, so they can protect the wahmen and play the white knight.

1|0
    0|1
  • Online they do but if you meant in person yeah you're right my ex was attractive and worked in a public place and she never got hit on

2|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

Recommended myTakes