How do prisoners stay calm during executions?

I'm wondering on how prisoners manage to stay calm during an execution. Now I'm talking about capital punishment in general speaking and not specifically about ISIS. #Execution #CapitalPunishment #Death
How do prisoners stay calm during executions?

0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Death row people had time to dwell on the fate they will receive. They go through the normal stages of grief until they reach acceptance. But it's normal for people to not go through the stages in the typical order.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think it's a pride things, they know they would die and there's no ways to escape it so as well die without making a fool of yourself.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• At least in the US, prisoners actually have to wait for a very long time for their death penalty. A lot of people have this naive idea that the judge speaks the sentence and two days later, the criminal is dead. That's not at all how it works. In most cases, inmates on death row live in prison for up to 20 years before they are executed. That's partially due to the fact that many of them try every legal possibility to get out of it again (that's also why the death penalty is actually extremely expensive). During these 10-20 years, the death row inmates get more than enough time to think about what's coming.

Furthermore, prisons in countries that still have the death penalty are typically very grim. This includes the US and Japan. They're not like the prisons we have in Europe where the prisoners are still treated like humans. There's a lot of violence and misery among the inmates. So, most of them are probably looking forward to die.
    Oftentimes, death row inmates have had a very difficult life themselves. Their lives are basically a concatenation of shitty experiences: a miserable childhood, maybe some type of abuse, poverty, maybe social problems and loneliness, maybe an unhappy life as part of a gang, then of course the crime itself and its repercussions, the all the misery they have to go through in prison... after all that, dying probably seems almost like a lucky escape.

And besides, I'm sure many death row inmates ARE scared and nervous right before their execution. Especially since executions get botched on a regular order. Prisoners who are given the lethal injection frequently go through unspeakable and inhumane pain and suffering for long periods of time (sometimes up to an hour), something that can easily be called torture. So... knowing you might go through the same thing will scare most people, I'm sure.

0|1
    0|0
    • And the past? Did people in the medieval age and the past in general speaking also sit in death row in a long time? Both Anne Boleyn, Mary of Scots and some other royals, earls etc. were described as calm and cooperative on their execution day.

• Well, there wasn't really such a thing as "death row" back then. Also, the idea of giving people a "fair trial" didn't exist yet (though England was relatively far advanced in such matters). So, it's very hard to draw any comparisons. Some of these people were imprisoned for a very long time, such as Mary of Scots. She was held captive in different castles for about 30 years. However, this was not due to legal reasons like today, it was due to political ones. Elizabeth I. would have liked to execute Mary of Scots as soon as possible but she couldn't because France was closely allied to Scotland and Spain was allied to France. Hence, Elizabeth feared that Mary's execution could cause an all-out military attack against England (England was a poor country back then with a bad military).
      In the case of commonly-born criminals, I'm sure things were much more simple and they were executed fairly quickly.

The reason why Mary of Scots or Anne Boleyn were calm probably has to do with (cont.)

• their social upbringing. The people you've mentioned were all nobles, which means they were raised to act in a certain way. This late-medieval code of behavior for aristocrats was called "curteisie" (courtesy). It included all kinds of rules was especially important for men but for women too. It was the expectation of how "a real gentleman" or "a real lady" had to act. This set of rules included (of course) a graceful behavior. Graceful for example means to not freak out and scream and cry before your execution but instead bear it calmly.
      However, that doesn't mean these people weren't scared. It's possible they were horrified and simply didn't show it.

• By the time they're executed, it's probably been sometime since they realized it's happening. Probably coming to terms with it. Nothing much else you can do.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 11

• Don’t know if that is the case, but if it is the cause is probably downers prescribed by the prison medical personnel. As I remember it, there was a lot of sleeping going on on the X-Row (Death Row)
    Not all prisoners go willingly and calmly. I think they probably end up resigned to their fate, like a person dying of cancer who dies calmly. They’ve sat in a cell for sometimes 15 years or so. They’re probably glad to get it over with in some ways.

0|2
    0|0
  • They have time to come to terms with their punishment. Some do it to be spiteful. Some are just naturally unconnected to such sincere feelings
    And some do just loose it, and are probably sedated lightly for it anyway

0|2
    0|0
  • Most men or women for that fact become Christians and find GOD. But there are some that don't appreciate life and they took life from others because they are just down out evil. GOD said, send them to me that take others life. He will deal with it! I think if a person takes another life and it is premeditated they should see the death penalty. If its a crime of passion they should get life with parole after 30 years. (Because it was not premeditated)... The prisons are overloaded and crowed just because they don't approve the death penalty. I suppose these people that are executed think about why they are there and what they did wrong and how they can make it right with GOD. If they have a sole they can get forgiveness from GOD! He is our creator...

0|1
    0|0
  • I guess the accept it and want it done painlessly

0|3
    0|0
  • their will is broken and they are wanting death

0|2
    0|0
  • I guess because they knew it was coming

0|2
    0|0
  • Many of them just lose hope.

0|2
    0|0
  • They lose hope most likely

0|1
    0|0
  • I guess they just get drunk or drug

0|1
    0|0
  • I guess anything

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know. Maybe they have their last cup of water spiked with Xanax so they won't pose a problem at execution time.

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 14

• They must've committed a serious crime so as to get executed.

So they already know that they deserve the severe punishment and they have no other option rather than staying calm in their final moments.

0|1
    0|0
  • because they are not sane lol. though most spend years and years on death row so.

0|1
    0|0
  • Because of fear if you make yourself stand out you will be up there. That's the whole point of capital punishment

0|1
    0|0
  • Well they generally have had time to contemplate and become resigned to their fate I should think

0|1
    0|0
  • They are probably given pills to be more chill and accept the punishment

0|1
    0|0
  • “Well, I guess my life is over. Might as well make my last moments as comfortable as I can.”

0|1
    0|0
  • They know how it's gonna end, there's no way out so they have nothing to worry about

0|1
    0|0
  • everyone is scared when there about to die they just dont show it

0|1
    0|0
  • they may think their whole past life and expecting for a hope

0|0
    0|0
    • What do you mean?

• well you know they get emotions, and just think about the time when will be over, soo they just try to remember their whole life when they had most fun and can be possible to have their next life being remembered who they were. speaking of time human invented so there is no time make u blow away xd

• That's "acceptance" the final stage of grief.

0|1
    0|0
  • Maybe they want to die with style?

0|1
    0|0
  • What should they do like shout?

0|0
    0|0
  • the chick in that picture looks pretty calm knowing her head is about to be separated from her torso, i guess they have no choice but to accept it, better her than me

0|1
    0|0
  • just like we stay calm when we hunt animals!

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes