How do prisoners stay calm during executions?

I'm wondering on how prisoners manage to stay calm during an execution. Now I'm talking about capital punishment in general speaking and not specifically about ISIS. #Execution #CapitalPunishment #Death

1316

Most Helpful Girls

• Death row people had time to dwell on the fate they will receive. They go through the normal stages of grief until they reach acceptance. But it's normal for people to not go through the stages in the typical order.

• I think it's a pride things, they know they would die and there's no ways to escape it so as well die without making a fool of yourself.

Most Helpful Guys

• At least in the US, prisoners actually have to wait for a very long time for their death penalty. A lot of people have this naive idea that the judge speaks the sentence and two days later, the criminal is dead. That's not at all how it works. In most cases, inmates on death row live in prison for up to 20 years before they are executed. That's partially due to the fact that many of them try every legal possibility to get out of it again (that's also why the death penalty is actually extremely expensive). During these 10-20 years, the death row inmates get more than enough time to think about what's coming.

Furthermore, prisons in countries that still have the death penalty are typically very grim. This includes the US and Japan. They're not like the prisons we have in Europe where the prisoners are still treated like humans. There's a lot of violence and misery among the inmates. So, most of them are probably looking forward to die.
    Oftentimes, death row inmates have had a very difficult life themselves. Their lives are basically a concatenation of shitty experiences: a miserable childhood, maybe some type of abuse, poverty, maybe social problems and loneliness, maybe an unhappy life as part of a gang, then of course the crime itself and its repercussions, the all the misery they have to go through in prison... after all that, dying probably seems almost like a lucky escape.

And besides, I'm sure many death row inmates ARE scared and nervous right before their execution. Especially since executions get botched on a regular order. Prisoners who are given the lethal injection frequently go through unspeakable and inhumane pain and suffering for long periods of time (sometimes up to an hour), something that can easily be called torture. So... knowing you might go through the same thing will scare most people, I'm sure.

• And the past? Did people in the medieval age and the past in general speaking also sit in death row in a long time? Both Anne Boleyn, Mary of Scots and some other royals, earls etc. were described as calm and cooperative on their execution day.

• Well, there wasn't really such a thing as "death row" back then. Also, the idea of giving people a "fair trial" didn't exist yet (though England was relatively far advanced in such matters). So, it's very hard to draw any comparisons. Some of these people were imprisoned for a very long time, such as Mary of Scots. She was held captive in different castles for about 30 years. However, this was not due to legal reasons like today, it was due to political ones. Elizabeth I. would have liked to execute Mary of Scots as soon as possible but she couldn't because France was closely allied to Scotland and Spain was allied to France. Hence, Elizabeth feared that Mary's execution could cause an all-out military attack against England (England was a poor country back then with a bad military).
      In the case of commonly-born criminals, I'm sure things were much more simple and they were executed fairly quickly.

The reason why Mary of Scots or Anne Boleyn were calm probably has to do with (cont.)

• their social upbringing. The people you've mentioned were all nobles, which means they were raised to act in a certain way. This late-medieval code of behavior for aristocrats was called "curteisie" (courtesy). It included all kinds of rules was especially important for men but for women too. It was the expectation of how "a real gentleman" or "a real lady" had to act. This set of rules included (of course) a graceful behavior. Graceful for example means to not freak out and scream and cry before your execution but instead bear it calmly.
      However, that doesn't mean these people weren't scared. It's possible they were horrified and simply didn't show it.

• By the time they're executed, it's probably been sometime since they realized it's happening. Probably coming to terms with it. Nothing much else you can do.