How much do you think governments should give to help other countries?

1|0

Most Helpful Guys

• I think the answer would depend on the amount of income a country can afford to spend, the needs of the other countries, and the goals of the giving country which are served by giving the aid. Foreign aid is sometimes given for purely humanitarian reasons and sometimes it is given to maintain an alliance with a country or to prevent the other country from becoming dependent on an enemy of our country.

0|0
    0|0
  • I had to research a bit to find out how much my country is actually spending for this (to get a feeling for it). In 2017, Switzerland spent 0.46% of its GDP for various developmental aids. This is the 8th highest in the world. I think that's a pretty reasonable number and I probably wouldn't change it much. Perhaps I would raise it to 0.5% but not beyond that. Anywhere between 0.4% and 0.5% of a country's GDP seems okay to me.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Thanks to Obama, Who was always Arming the Terrorists in the Middle of the Night as we slept, He gave Out a lot of Money, honey.
    Now that President Trump, No Chump is in Office , New Sherriff and Rules in Town. xx

1|1
    0|1
    • Regan armed the Contras, Kennedy armed the men responsible for La Plata Gordon, stupid bloody spell checker, I mean Bay Of Pigs, didn't matter whether there's a Republican or a Democrat in the White House, Americans are scum, they think they can bully weaker countries and everybody has to dance to their tune, who do they think they are, us in Victorian times?(Anyone else think all keyboards need an internship?) Sodding spell checker.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 33

• if they can afford it while still providing ample services and infrastructure to its own citizens then yes

0|0
    0|0
  • It's a very complicated question because of the many aspects. It really depends on the relationship between the countries, the interests of both countries, the stability of the countries, the economy of the countries. There is also the question why there ought to be aid given to another country.

For starters, the relationship between the countries. Some countries are completely isolationist, but that's not the case with most. Many important countries are part of regional/global incentives to promote trade, collaboration and such. Others are even in an economic union (Eurozone). In other cases we're talking about strategic allies that can help you further your political goals (i. e. Saudi-Arabia for the USA). The point is that with these countries it makes vastly more sense to commit more aid to those countries, since instability in any of those yields detrimental result for your own country. Economic instability in Greece is inevitable to result in massive economic problems in the rest of the Eurozone. To minimize these consequences, and to actually strengthen all members, it is merely logical to allocate more aid to those countries facing trouble.

I already touched a bit on this one but there are the interests of the country. When a certain country (i. e. Iceland) is absolutely vital to serve your goals, then it's logical to allocate more funds to supporting that country. That way you gain public favour in the country but also have more access to using the country as part of your goals. It makes no sense to fund an irrelevant country with a lot of funds, therefore there is a difference.

The bit regarding the stability and the economy is quite simple. When the situation is looking bleak, the thing that's logical to do is to aid them more than when everything is going well.

Then there is the difference between humanitarian aid and aid given to further your alliance. Humanitarian aid does not serve your interests directly (it can do that in theong term) whereas maintaining strategic key allies does. Considering the way politics work it always makes sense to initially give the countries that serve your interests more money than Malawi suffering from a famine.

Ergo, it depends on a lot of factors on how much money a country should give another.

1|0
    0|0
  • How much can your own house give and still supply its needs? Nothing should ever be given to another until one's house is in 100% order. America is in 100% chaos.

0|0
    0|0
  • That depends. If tax revenue is what's to be used on this "donation", absolutely $0.00. However, bureaucrats and politicians are free to spend as much of their own wages on other nations as they please. I won't stop them.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nothing, actually. There will be strings attached. Which is single sided and not help, but (egoistic) tactics. Also: Some countries are in trouble out of self-made reasons. It would be better if on a 'lower' level individuals will help other individuals.

0|0
    0|0
  • Don't taking advantage of them. It doesn't matter how much money they give to other countries, they money they take from international trade is just insulting. And is not your fault, is fault of the lack of education this people have

0|0
    0|0
  • Nothing let other nations fix thier own shit, i do however make an exception for major disasters such as hurricanes volcanos tsunamis and the like.

0|0
    0|0
  • Trade should be enough.
    Rest, they'll have to figure out themselves.

Remember that time, when European countries were OBLIGATED to throw money at Greece's way, because they decided to have a lazy culture and mess their own economy up?

0|0
    0|0
  • Honestly, governments shouldn't have to help other counties at all. Then again it would depend on that county's interests i. e alliances, trade, former colonies and so on.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think they should take care of their own country, unless it's a REALLY close ally who has helped them in the past

0|0
    0|0
  • As soon as every one of its citizens is without need, they should give whatever surplus is remaining.

0|0
    0|0
  • 0... No help... If you help a country they'll start to depend on your money and in the end when you go down they go down too...

0|0
    0|0
  • As much as they can afford, but if they aren't able to provide services or required improvements for their own country then they shouldn't

0|0
    0|0
  • governments should give all money back to people so people can give what they choose on an individual basis

1|0
    0|0
  • I am not completely against helping other countries. Its not actually helping other countries, its just bribing them. Its called soft diplomacy. China is very good at it.

I think government can help in case of natural disasters, we would hope other countries would do the same if we were ever to be in that unfortunate position.

Help in defense in anyway we can help our allies, or to stop any threats maybe threat to stability or peace like terrorism.

Help in case of famine as well if someone might not consider part of natural diasaster.

Other than that governments should focus on improving their own countries.

1|0
    0|0
  • More than what they're doing, and even that's not a lot.

0|0
    0|0
  • 100% ... that's what they are there for... that's what they get paid for damn it... lol

0|0
    0|0
  • yes quit wasting money and think like an average civilian

0|0
    0|0
  • Nothing, without ulterior motives. A governments job is to look after its own people.

0|0
    0|0
  • They should take care of their own people before helping others.

0|0
    0|0
  • charity starts at home, they should 1st tend to the issues in their own backyard

1|0
    0|0
  • Nothing I think we should sort out our own mess before we sort out the rest of the world

0|0
    0|0
  • A lot, it is how friends are made, and alliances are formed.

0|0
    0|0
  • Honestly none help your own peeps first we have Homeless people who can get help if they supplied

0|0
    0|0
  • None. How about minding your own goddamn business for once?

0|0
    0|0
  • Only that much which will make that country stand on its feet again.

0|0
    0|0
  • give no real money only goods the items can all be made in china for a very low price

0|0
    0|0
  • A lot, specially like my country

0|1
    0|0
  • None at all

0|0
    0|0
  • a lot

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 4

• If it involves military ops, I think "leading nations" should stop playing "big brother" to "parasites" and just let them fight their own battles. If it involves disaster relief, send them goods and (if necessary) a minimal management crew instead.

0|0
    0|0
  • In a perfect world maybe I could wonder

0|0
    0|0
  • In turkey loves rich people

0|0
    0|0
  • So long till they can support themself.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes