What do you think about the idea of political correctness?

As in, you can no say things that are offensive to someone.

3|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Political correctness appeases the ones with feeble senses and safeguards the ones who are repulsed by the truth.

As a concept, political correctness seems arbitrary and vague because what constitutes as 'offensive' to one individual may be tolerable to another.

Through enjoining people in the use of 'acceptable' terminologies, political correctness impedes unrestrained, benevolent discussion by blatant adherence to identity politics. Political correctness is a potent threat to the diversity of thought.

2|11
    0|0
  • I think we're at a point where political correctness is, to at least some extent, getting in the way of sharing ideas and having meaningful dialogue. There's an understandable level of pushback against people espousing political correctness, who are seen as trying to silence dissent. I completely understand the frustration of feeling unable to speak freely because of the fear of being labelled transphobic, sexist, rascist, homophobic, or otherwise bigoted.

In my opinion, idealistic as it may sound, if we can be civil and generally empathetic towards one another, there shouldn't be a need for political correctness.

3|4
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• I believe to have a civil society, there should be customs and protocols. Political correctness carries it too far, but we can’t just walk around shouting racial epithets at one another, or things will degenerate quickly. On the other hand, I think it is big brother thoughtcrime to force everyone to use Politically Correct terms for groups. I still believe in free speech, as long as we can do it intelligently. I believe in diversity in the use of language. I don’t believe a man should lose the company he worked to build for decades because he used one “n-word” in public. And as I learn more details, it was the interviewer who led him into using it. That is pure bullshit. The interviewer had an agenda.

1|2
    0|0
    • "but we can’t just walk around shouting racial epithets at one another"

Not that I condone it, but why not? Should words merit violence?

• Show All
    • Then you can expect more conflict in our society. We will never be a peaceful or gentle society.

• Yes. That's a price to pay for freedom.

• The problem is that sometimes the truth is offensive.

For example, the MS-13 gang is a problem. Yes, they're comprised of Mexican Americans, but that doesn't mean that we need to give them a free pass to avoid looking racist. I can handle being called racist if it means getting kidnappers, drug dealers, and murderers off the streets. When Trump calls them "Animals" he's not far from the mark. The only reason People take issue with kidnappers, drug dealers, and murders being called animals, is that those "Animals" just so *happen* to be Mexican. In the PC world you're ONLY allowed to insult people if they're white. Everybody else needs to be protected even if they're vile criminals.

Being unable to address serious problems due to the fact that the perpetrator happens to be a minority is not sustainable. Criminals need to be locked up regardless of their skin color.

0|4
    0|0
    • Here's the ridiculous: the ms_13 members that are being deported and sent back are getting killed in their country by either the gang it's self or the cops, basicly that gang is struggling because of that and their calling trump racist for that and that they need "help" this is ridiculous.
      Murderers getting murdered and complaining about it lol

• https://youtu (dot) be/H_bmFJRcseg

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 21

• I say go back to my day when we could laugh at our differences, and we ignored ignorant a$$holes and let karma take care of them. Now comedians and actors lose they careers of they dare make us laugh at our differences. Political correctness was made by a bunch whiny babies.

4|7
    0|0
    • "Now comedians and actors lose they careers of they dare make us laugh at our differences."

Eh.. it's provided a pretty easy way for me to identify good comedians.
      If they've been sued, I know I'll like 'em.

If not, they're pussies.

• This is true but its bs some lose their career over it.

• I see your point.

• I think it says a lot about humanity that we even need such a concept. What an amazing place would the world be if everyone just took a second to think about whether what they are about to say is going to hurt someone or not

1|0
    3|3
  • I think the world is so PC I want to throw up mom issues in the past are headlines now. If a computer doesn't tell the person what change to hand back there lost. As in using common sense now PC has blanketed everything so there is no grey area. Well the World is not BLACK AND WHITE,
    And all the PC /BS you try to enforce on humans makes mankind more and more controlled response with little room for personality.

0|0
    0|1
  • Too often it is used as a weapon to control the dialogue and silence people.

1|5
    0|0
  • Let's see. If you're the one being offensive it's ok. If it's someone else it's not. You're the typical kind of dude who can't stand the taste of his own medicine...

0|0
    0|2
  • It gives me reason to carry my thick thesaurus everywhere. And if that's not good enough, I'll just throw the thesaurus at their faces.

1|1
    0|0
  • I have other things to worry about like stay awake to play with a 5 year old!

1|1
    0|0
  • It is getting ridiculous.

3|6
    0|0
  • Just dont say anything. If you can't say anything good then dont say it at all.

0|0
    0|0
    • That severely limits one's freedom of expression. Why should everyone keep quite for the sensibilities of the few?

• Show All
    • 1d

Okay then, in that case I would agree.

• 1d

Cool. Thanks. Great question to ask. Nothing wrong in asking. Have a nice day. :-)

• Stupid.

2|4
    0|0
  • lol pure bullshit

2|4
    0|0
  • Cancerous BS

2|4
    0|0
  • What ever happened to freedom of speech?

0|0
    0|0
    • Political correctness and freedom of speech don't conflict with each other

• Show All
    • @ThisDudeHere "I am not gonna hire you because you are a Muslim. We don't need people of your kind in our company" is not allowed either. There are numerous anti-discriminitory laws in the U. S. protecting the diversity

• @ShadowForce we're talking about public discourse, not the workplace environment.

• it promotes civility.

2|0
    2|10
  • It's boring

1|0
    0|0
  • Its annoying omg😒

0|0
    0|0
  • I like it

0|0
    2|4
  • Yeah

0|0
    0|0
  • Oh for fucksake

0|0
    0|1
  • It seems to have brought us to a place where people believe the world revolves around them and their feelings. From people who preach diversity and tolerance, diversity of thought is not to be tolerated.

2|5
    0|0
  • More from Girls

What Guys Said 67

• I think its one of the most moronic things to come out of modern society. Makes me wish that the sun would just hurry up and expand so that all nearly all evidence of our existence could be destroyed.

2|2
    0|0
  • I don't think that's an adequate definition of political correctness, but I don't care too much about it. I care about ideas and whether or not they're right or wrong. I do, however, think that certain language and actions are not conducive to civil discourse. That's annoying, but I'm not a fan of speech suppression.

0|0
    0|0
  • i certainly don't intentionally offend people when it's not needed.

0|0
    0|0
  • This sums it up pretty well, I think, but at the same time I think that lack of genuine empathy and manners is one of the bigger pieces of what's destroying us

1|5
    0|0
  • It's complete BS.
    Life sucks sometimes. Hope I didn't offend anyone there.
    You can't please everyone. It's impossible. Someone is going to get fucking offended. Sorry if I offended someone.
    If you don't like what someone says, then don't listen. Stop being a little whiny baby and all butt hurt over it. I apologize if I offended someones feelers.
    PC People need to stop trying control other peoples lives and go get a life of their own. If I offended you, go get a nappy and wipe your tears.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's basically a form of social censorship in which only certain social/political views are considered worthy of having and expressing. And those "acceptable" views are overwhelmingly liberal/Leftist views. So I don't have any use for political correctness. I do believe in courtesy and treating people with respect, but that is very different from what PC has become.

0|2
    0|0
  • It's bullshit. It's sanitizing discourse. Don't get me wrong, oppressive language exists and marginalized groups are indeed subject to verbal abuse, but do we really want to live in a society in which language is sanitized to the point you're afraid of saying anything out of fear of being antagonized? It doesn't achieve anything and it doesn't help. We should focus on changing the base of society in order to change the superstructure as a consequence. Joseph Stalin, addresses this question in his essay "Marxism and the Linguistics Problem" in which he admits that while language isn't part of the superstructure, a change in the superstructure was necessary to change language in the long-run. Thus, we should focus on changing the base so as to produce a more equal, equitable and just society, the need for oppressive language should eventually disappear. Offensive language and political correctness will have lost all of their meaning and be rendered obsolete. In the meantime, we should be mindful of the language we use and exercise judgement and nuance as to not needlessly antagonize people who don't actually harbor hateful or discriminatory views.

www.marxists.org/.../20.htm

0|1
    0|1
  • It's silly. Any idea can offend someone, some people are offended by the idea of political correctness. The idea of choosing things that are offensive is then a game of politics. You are just picking words that a large amount of people don't like, rather than what they mean or how people are using them.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think its a way to silence people that disagree with you. Often times you see those that are "Politically correct" Holler things like sexist, misogynist, homophobic, transphobic.. Just because someone disagrees.. Just because someone has personal preference.. To be honest anything that stifles free speech needs to be strongly stood against, which i do..

0|1
    0|0
  • Lemme tell you a little story..

Once upon a time my classmates and I were sitting outside my computer science portal classroom waiting for the professor to get his lazy ass ready.. when we saw a little slip of paper taped/stapled to the wall.

The paper was advertising a class for teaching against "male/white/hetero-supremist ideology."

It took like 5 people to convince me that tearing it down was a bad idea.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think political correctness is an excuse people use when they want to say something people don't like but don't want to take responsibility for it. It's also often used by folks who spout off bullshit but don't want to have to prove it's true.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's bull shit and is ruining are society. Like all of a sudden people care when you use black or white as a discripter, or when you tell some one facts they say they arn't valid because they're offensive. It redefines rape, racism and sexism to fit an agenda of equal rights that they already have but the media has convinced them other wise.

0|1
    0|0
  • As in terms of legality? It doesn't exist and shouldn't, I, just like everyone else in this country, am entitled to my own opinion. For example I can say "f*** trump" and no one can do anything about it except argue. That's one of the principles of this country; free speech. As long as I don't physically harm anyone (yell fire in a crowded theater) then I can say whatever I want regardless of how offending it is.

0|1
    0|0
  • Needs balance or else either extreme is annoying, too much or too little. Patton Oswalt had some good thoughts on PC culture and terminology. Some people can have a good heart and use the wrong terms but mean well. Some people know the correct terminology and use it for terrible things that actually end up being oppressive.

0|0
    0|0
  • I dont think it should be a legal thing except in extreme cases but I do think people can argue against it freely too and object to it. Social pressure is the way to go in my opinion.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's censorship.

The left pushes it and want to censor anyone they don't agree with. It's what Hitler did.

0|4
    0|0
  • PC culture is a symptom of liberalism, which is also cancer.

0|1
    0|0
    • Liberalism itself doesn't have to be bad though. These regressive have hijacked it though.

• Yep. Progressivism and just about all forms of leftism are terrible, but classical liberalism isn't like that at all.

• @Sixgun77 exactly. I used to identify as a liberal but the past couple of years, just like the word feminism, the idea has been tarnished.

• its not that simple... its wrong to be offensive based on race, gender, sexuallity etc but if some one is simply a cunt ofcourse you can tell them that

0|1
    0|1
  • It's a form of cultural fascism designed to dumb down, silence, and *pathologize* political discourse that undermines the globalist agenda and narrative.

It is an ideology divised by the neo-Marxist activists and intellectuals of the Frankfurt school of critical theory, who had to flee the third Reich due to their ideology and Jewish identities. They then infiltrated all high level academia in America, Canada and the uk primarily, through the swinging 60s.

And roll forward till present, our governments throughout the west have adopted such a dialectical tool to silence native Europeans into accepting their genocide.

1|2
    0|0
  • It's a mechanism used to silence opinions you don't like. To an sjw feelz > realz LOL!

Thankfully America hasn't fallen too deeply into that.. yet..

0|1
    0|0
  • More from Guys

Recommended myTakes