What should be considered free speech? (read description)?

Protest vs. Free Speech?
Protest vs. Free Speech?

So we have yet again been reminded of the football player kneeling by that Nike advertisement.

Now I have a question.

The logic behind the outrage is that what he did is disrespectful to our troops and our country.

Yet we also have people who fly a NAZI flag on their lawn, and when neighbors approach them about it, they claim to be protected under their right to free speech.

Now obviously if the football player started waving a Nazi flag during the national anthem in a football setting, most people would be pissed.

So let me ask my question.

People yell "You ungrateful spoiled bastard! " when some football player kneels during the national anthem, because it's disrespectful to American troops right?

Then why do people proceed to yell "Free speech!" when a person has a flag on their lawn that is responsible for not only killing hundreds of thousands US troops and 11 million Jews and other none Aryans in concentration camps?

Who do we want to have free speech? When do we think protesting is Okay?
Answer if you will, in a civil manner.
Well damn I didn't expect this to be featured.

A lot of different opinions I see.

Keep a discussion goin'!

30117

Most Helpful Girls

• What a fantastic question, hitting the nail on the head, showing all kinds of hypocrisy. Now, I realize this is a highly American issue which doesn't involve me per se, more than the frustration of watching it from a far, without the tools to make a change or help people Think.

Both are considered free speech. And they should. We have freedom of speech however we don't have freedom of consequences.

To kneel on a day when the world is watching was a superb choice of timing and his action is winning all the publicity it needs. Police brutality SHOULD be looked upon. That should be EVERYONE's interest. He did a PEACEFUL non-violent protest against VIOLENT law enforcement.

However, instead of giving the action a thought, and understanding it's point - most people against it, discuss it as a disrespect to the nation. You know, from a distance, all I see is him pointing fingers to something that SHOULD be a disrespectful act to the nation.
    Police brutality.
    Are you then saying that police brutality ISN'T an act of disrespect to the nation?

I fail to find any wrongs in his doing. Having a proud Nation is all fine and dandy, but police brutality isn't anything to be proud of. That whole cultural thing is mindless to me. How can THAT be ok?

I live in a country where free speech is a thing. Freedom of speech is regulated in three parts:
    - Fundamental Rights and Freedoms protects personal freedom of expression "whether orally, pictorially, in writing, or in any other way".
    - Freedom of the Press Act protects the freedom of printed press, as well as the principle of free access to public records (Principle of Public Access) and the right to communicate information to the press anonymously. For a newspaper to be covered by this law, it must be registered and have a "legally responsible publisher", meaning a person who is ultimately accountable for the printed material.
    - Fundamental Law on Freedom of Expression extends protections similar to those of Freedom of the Press Act to other media, including television, radio and web sites.

Hate speech laws prohibit threats or expressions of contempt based on race, skin color, nationality or ethnic origin, religious belief or sexual orientation.

Speaking one's mind can be communicated without immature insults and shit throwing. We're not children.
    I do appreciate Beto O'Rourke's brilliant answer to this question. Check it out :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGWmh-maevk

• Freedom of speech means the law can't stop it. Your boss can if it's on company time. Having freedom of speech means you have the right to say what you choose and not fear legal repercussions, with a few exceptions. It doesn't mean you are sheltered from what people think. No one has said kneeling should result in arrest. And, as much as we'd like it to, the nazi flag thing won't result in jail time either.

You're protected from the law, not public opinion. People expressing their outrage over it is free speech too.

• You should recount. I can provide thousands of examples of people who think athletes who kneel for the US National Anthem should be jailed. Even a cursory examination of Twitter would provide more than enough evidence contrary to your suggestion.

• So you want people locked up if they deny holocaust. I am one of those that deny it. It's my opinion I dont see why anyone living anywhere must be forced to eat that garbage called holocaust. 20 million Russians died in world war 2. Do you see any Russians being jailed up. Lol wow Jews really Brain washer people.

• @DaMack999. Who said anyone wanted Holocaust deniers locked up? Go away

Most Helpful Guys

• Because when right-wingers moan about "free speech", they don't actually mean free speech. They mean "free speech for me and my buddies". Great example from alt-right propaganda minister and partisan hack Ben Shapiro:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ahd2k89sj4

But even disregarding the things you've already said, their point makes absolutely no sense whatsoever because:
    1. Kneeling is no way a disrespectful action
    2. All US soldiers are doing their job by their own volition. Nobody forces them to sacrifice anything. There is no mandatory conscription like in other countries.
    3. US soldiers have the duty to protect the constitution of the US which... promotes free speech. So to say: "shut up, you're insulting the troops" is actually extremely ANTI-constitution (and anti-American). It is authoritarian.

And since we're already on it, I'd say sending your troops into completely useless and unnecessary wars is far more disrespectful than kneeling. Before the war in Iraq started, Bush/Cheney used their military budget to let Raytheon build a ridiculously expensive, utterly useless submarine instead of protecting US soldiers by giving them armored vehicles. Why? Because the submarine was more lucrative for Raytheon. They told young men to go fight in some other country where they KNEW those young men would be awaited by road-side bombs and didn't even give them armored vehicles. And Mike Pompeo had the fucking nerve to say: "You can't choose your military, you've got to take the one you have". Yet, has this jackass ever been called out for disrespecting the troops? Oh no. You see, killing US soldiers is totally okay if you're white and a part of the elite. If you're black, all it takes is some kneeling and people will call you disrespectful.

• You know Kaepernick's behavior has nothing to do with war, right?

• Oh so breaking law like nazis do and calling miniority people all sort of names and segregation isn't disrespecting them & not anti American, but to refuse to stand up for the flag as way to protest against injustice is disrespect. Wow.

• @BlueCoyote Where do you get your facts about Ben Shapiro? Lol
      I could have a long discussion on why police brutality isn't what you make it out to be, but that's a lot of typing and a waste of my time since you wouldn't believe me anyway. My suggestion is to get "facts" from both political sides and make your own decisions.

• The objection to football players protesting is not simply that they are protesting but that they choose to do so during a time when we should be paying our respects to the flag, our nation, and all of those who have fought to preserve our liberties. If Colin Kaepernick wants to protest after the game, that is his right. But please don't protest during the National Anthem. Having the right to do something does not make it the right thing to do.

I am not happy about a neighbor flying the Nazi flag but I have no recourse to deter that behavior. I am not happy about NFL millionaires protesting during the National Anthem and there IS something I can do about that, so I will.

• Very well put! People seem to be missing the point of free speech. I won't ramble but the bottom line is where do you draw the line. If one fundamental right can be outlawed they all can. The constitution doesn't say government given rights for a reason!