Does "White culture" exist?

Something I've been thinking about recently is how many people when speaking about race seem to default to white America being "white culture". Yet as an Englishman I don't relate to it. And I'm sure every other white person who is not American would agree. I mean an African American to me is still American and I actually see more similarities between those two groups than African Americans and... African Africans. I mean even European culture, is vastly different so why should we think that the amount of melanin we have is a cultural thing?
Updates:
6d
Update: Wow thank you everyone for answering and thank you more for keeping it civil. I did worry that I was fuelling a fire with this question and am glad everyone's been generally respectful.

0|1

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 12

• As a Spanish I always find weird "white culture" or "black culture" terms isolated. Culture is principally subjected to the country more than to race.

If we say there's "white culture" like a broad and global term it doesn't work. Europe is full of white people with many different cultures. I guess the same way happens with Africa and different countries. The term doesn't work unless you specify first the country.

An African American is always going to be more similar to a White American than to someone from other country. But, we can distinguish a "white culture" and a "black culture" inside American culture, due to years of racial segregation.

3|3
    0|0
    • 6d

After reading comments I notice some people seems not to understand what culture is. They talk about "behavior" and "genes" but that's not culture. Culture is gastronomy, music, dance, festivities, literature, arts, traditions, beliefs, clothes styles too...

In America there's common culture and racial cultures due to segregation. Common culture would be for example Halloween, I think almost every race in US celebrate Halloween. Something related to racial cultures would be clothing, the fashion trends in US have usually been different according to race.

• Show All
    • 6d

Plus I only pm if the girl asks

• 6d

@up_64 Lol thats a good move to be fair and I was joking really. I just understand enough Spanish to get the general feel and I saw it wasn't related to the thread

• White culture exist. Even White American does have culture. Your question is really weird. Don't you know about the preppy style? Or the Greaser style? Or even the foundation of the American country / governement?

Too you compare your country to America but I can assure you that as a French girls I don't relate to English people / culture at all. I find English culture to be more similar to American than French culture.

1|0
    0|0
    • 6d

While that's true, you can't define American white culture as just white culture because as the most recent white country we have the least cultural history and don't by any means deserve a monopoly on the word. It does have to be differentiated. Just like American black culture you might think bbq, blues, or jazz, but obviously black people living in Africa have nothing to do with that or would naturally associate in any way.

• Show All
    • 6d

Also @alice55 could I have a citation to what you have read about greasers? I'd like to look at one of these sources because as a Italian born in a small villa in Vieste I have my doubts about that fact.

• 1d

@ThatItalianBastard I've read it from Wikipedia and read the same stuff on others site but they're all in French.

• german culture? yes. irish culture? yes. italian? yes. french, russian, romanian yes yes yes. but "white" no.

6|4
    0|0
  • There’s Irish culture, Ukrainian culture, German culture, Scottish culture, Italian culture, etc but there’s no white culture.

2|4
    0|1
  • I'm a Western European American
    White culture sounds ridiculous
    All whites are not the same at all

1|4
    0|0
  • It certainly does in so far as it is limited to the whites of North America. They also have black culture, Asian culture, latino culture, etc etc.
    I think it's because historically, culture has always been much more defined by racial differences in America, as the entire nation was basically just a mix of nationalities and cultures, so race was one of the main defining features.
    In Europe on the other hand, a much older and much more war-struck continent, differences have been far more defined by borders, especially those of nation states so our culture has evolved around that.

2|1
    0|0
    • 6d

*not to mention the obvious that white culture would be completely useless as a defining feature for Europe, as the entire continent is made up by caucasian peoples.

• Show All
    • 4d

On your profile it says you're in the UK? I've lived in England for 2 years and in my experience the culture is far more focused around class than race though..

• 3d

Yeah England born and bred. There is a big class divide but it depends on where in the UK your talking about.

The more white areas are fine and they tend to be the ones focusing on class. But one of the reasons that brexit happened was that the Muslim community voted to leave by 60% because they don't like Eastern European moving in to their areas drinking outside their mosques and taking their jobs? (As a taxi driver informed me). and on the other side if I go into any pub around here and asked for someone's opinion on Asians you will get something along the lines of "Indians are sound, sihks are ace but sod those (derogatory term for someone who's family is from Pakistan) bastards" unfortunately I don't think our government cares much about anything that isn't London or the commuting areas.

Also bear in mind that the UK is highly PC and as such it has basically silenced anyone who would talk about it. So people do feel that way, they just say it in private

• 😂 African Americans and Caucasian’s have an unspoken “culture” it has a few variances depending on upbringing, but we do. To say we dont is complete fuckery.

0|0
    0|1
    • 6d

African American and Caucasian have a culture? are you sure you don't mean African American and Caucasian American culture? Because thats what I was getting at Im Caucasian but I don't feel I'm the same as a white Americans at all, its a completely different culture.

• Show All
    • 6d

European white culture and American white culture will have their differences. We as Americans have our on “uncultured swine” type thing going on over here. People who like Europeans don’t like American Europeans. Africans don’t like me...
      Europeans have their own thing going. Am I making any sense?

• 6d

Erm Im not sure, I dont think cultural similarities mean that its the same culture. Thats why i asked what shared white culture is because i feel we could find similarities in any two cultures but they are still two distinct different cultures. I mentioned on another reply how christians are muslims are both abrahamic religions with many similarities but I can't say they are culturally the same in the way "white culture" or "black culture" is seen.

I kinda understand what you mean, i thing the variances are far greater than you see them though and as such the link is tenuous at best. I see the difference between English cultures so going as far as to say "white culture" seems like far to big a generalisation to have any merit as a phrase.

• No there is no such thing as white culture. We are too diverse a group to have a unified culture. You can have French culture, British Culture etc. When people talk about Black Culture or Asian Culture they are almost always referring to the American components of those culture as American Culture ripped their ties to their homelands apart in attempt to bring them into the American Culture (which people generally use to refer to white American culture). In Africa just like in Europe the cultures are too diverse to have them umbrellaed into just Black culture, same with Asia. Japan and China have vastly different cultures as do most other Asian cultures.

0|4
    0|1
  • No. I'm mixed as hell so basically I have no race. Its not white or black culture. Not the way you talk or do. You are you , you are it defined by your race , skin color , eyes or hair.

0|1
    0|1
  • Yes.

0|2
    0|1
  • In some white countries, they have their own distinctive white culture.

0|0
    0|1
  • If there's no white culture than there's no black culture either. Remember that.

1|2
    0|0
    • 6d

I think white culture means culture created by any white culture in general.

• 6d

The thing is I agree with the premise that there's no such thing as "Black culture" "African culture" "African American culture" sure but not "black culture"

What Guys Said 47

• I think the real misunderstanding here is that Americans tend to make projections and sweeping generalizations onto the entire world based on their specific country.

What Americans really mean (in my understanding) when they say "white culture" is actually WASP culture. Or perhaps even more accurately American WASP culture. However, many of the people who talk about this stuff are kind of undifferentiated in their thinking... so a fact that's true for their city or state suddenly turns into a global thing in their mind.

As a (white) European, I would certainly agree with you that "white culture" does not exist.
    Yet, we have some indications that American WASP culture exists. I'm not sure if the differences are pronounced and various enough to call it an entire "culture" but there are certainly some differences between how most black people and most white people in the US live their life. To us outsiders, these differences often seem minute and insignificant but when you actually live in the US, they can feel quite strong.

0|1
    0|0
  • Usually this white culture vs black culture thing applies to races that are both from the same country.

0|0
    0|0
  • Culture is both learned and stems from the characteristics of certain people. While different Europeans for example have different cultures, we still share a lot more similarities with each other than we do say with Africans or Asians.

In England we of course had the Anglo-Saxon invasion, the Vikings, the Normans. All of these cultures influenced England in some way. But they were also compatible because their cultures were very similar, and the reason for that is that we share similar ancestral roots.

Compare this to the Middle-Eastern and African immigrants. If you go to certain parts of England you feel like you're in a foreign country. Their cultures are completely different to ours. In an area that is predominantly Muslim you feel like you're in some Middle Eastern shithole. Wherever you bring a certain kind of people they tend to bring the culture of their homeland.

A lot of our behaviours are genetic. That's common sense. Some of it has to do with upbringing but you inherit many of your characteristics from your parents, your grandparents, all the way down your bloodline. Then it makes sense that people in different parts of the world tend to have different behavioural characteristics. That's where the culture comes from.

If black Americans really were just the same as white Americans, why would there be so much conflict between the two? The thing is today, and this is especially true in America, real culture is discouraged.

There are many different theories as to why those in power encourage multiculturalism (only in white countries, by the way), but one theory is that if they can dilute the culture, encourage all of us to mix, to erase any sense of our roots, our heritage, our traditions etc. Then our culture will become a corporate mono-culture where all anybody cares about is money and consumerism. That's why they say there's no white culture because that's what white countries have mostly been turned into.

0|0
    1|0
    • 6d

Ah but we weren't. Look at the Danes vs the Saxons it wasn't until intergration that the culture clash stopped. They were both white cultures but they weren't compatible

• I would completely agree that "white culture" in the American sense doesn't exist and further agree that whites and blacks share in American culture. Part of the problem with us Americans is we want to define blacks as African Americans instead of just Americans. I'm not described as a European American so I don't think there should be a distinguishing factor for any ethninticity that is American. I kind of went on a tangent there but I agree with you.

1|1
    1|0
    • 6d

No I completely Agree there, this is my point, that is the issue between blacks and whites in America they see themselves as different cultures and that's where the animosity comes from

• People generalize, and that's mainly because of America. We have enough influence for that to become a widespread belief unfortunately. But people here just love to bunch people into the same group.
    For example: Even if you're Russian, you're still white so they just think of it as that as though the nationality and distinct physical differences don't matter. It's quite annoying actually. But hey I live here 🤷

0|1
    0|0
    • 6d

Yeah because the US and russia are both white so therefore they've always been the same. What do you mean the cold war?

• pretty sure it does but its not a blanket thing. just like every other race, cultures break up into sub-sections like for example, polish and irish are different in the way that a nigerian would be different from a ghanaian, or how chinese are different from koreans.

1|1
    0|0
    • 6d

Yeah I understand that, but I wouldn't rope the two together and i feel that's what happens when people talk about "white culture"

• everyone has a "culture." just b/c someone may not care for that of another does not mean it should be labeled.
    to assign a color to a particular one is silly.
    it also indicates intolerance and bias - a personal weakness

0|1
    0|0
  • No. White culture doesn't exist. People who talk about white culture in such a way actually mean "American" Culture at the best.

European culture doesn't even exist, since each country in Europe acts differently from one another. Italian culture is vastly different from Polish culture.

It all boils down to where you live/come from, not what you are. And quite frankly I am getting sick and tired of being part of a "white culture" when I am just trying to live my life without bothering anyone else.

0|2
    0|0
  • If "white culture" didn't exist, then there would be no such thing as soccer, pea coats, dog spas or roller derby. Conan O'Brien and the Dave Matthews Band would never have made it. San Francisco, Portland and the entire state of Vermont would be uninhabited wastelands. There would be no sushi or vegan restaurants anywhere.

0|0
    0|0
    • 6d

So sushi is white culture is it? not Asian?

• Show All
    • 3d

Hey you never know! I've heard more stupid things in Ernest. Yeah I should have included Latino there as well.

• 3d

Well people do say astoundingly stupid things on here and are serious about it, so I guess I shouldn't assume... ;)

• Not sure if there is a "white culture" as much as there is a culture based on nationality.

When I think "white culture", from a Canadian perspective, I think of "English culture", meaning tea and crumpets... royal family... victorian decor.. etc.
    That is opposed to "American culture", which is what most people may think that white culture is. In that sense, I think baseball, football, BBQ, hotdogs.

Same with chinese culture, korean culture... but white culture? black culture? yellow culture? Perhaps the term is too vague, or maybe people dont see it based on skin color... except for leftist morons.

0|1
    0|0
  • It still exist, even though leftists are doing their best to destroy the western culture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lctp6kvLijc

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes it does, it's just in the process of being lost.

0|0
    0|1
  • I don't think any racial-oriented culture exists. Using terms like "white culture" just creates a divide between different races.

0|1
    0|0
  • I hope it exist. White people should form their own groups and be separate as their own people.

0|1
    2|0
    • 6d

Yeah some guy named Hitler tried that a while back.

• 6d

Im not arguing white cultures don't exist only that White culture doesn't

• I think what you're referring to is called European culture. High class families with butlers and silverspoon fed kids who go to Yale and Harvard.

0|0
    0|1
    • 6d

But Yale and Harvard are English institutions. Europe isn't one big culture that's why the EU is having problems.

• 6d

Neither is America. You go to south like Florida you will find mostly Mexican lifestyle. You to go California is high expensive Hollywood culture. Every state in U. S doesn't share anything with the other. Its completely different laws. In one state you can get married at age 14 while next is 19.

• 6d

Sure I understand that its the same here people think English is london but where I am is nothing like that culturally. But saying European culture is like saying that north america and south america (as in Brazil, chile, peru etc) is just American culture

• Western culture is a thing, but white culture isn't. Western culture is a very broad label that isn't very accurate at describing anything other than a general idea of a seperation between the two groups and a few common themes like democratic governments and free markets. White culture is no more a thing than black culture is, both are descriptions of skin tones not cultural behaviours. African culture would be the broad brush equivalent to "western culture" I would say African American culture is certainly a culture and it's possible people are using the term "black culture" and referring to either that or African culture.

0|1
    0|0
  • You mean like people who live in mobile homes? I wouldn't call it a culture.

0|0
    2|2
  • Yes but the government are trying to ruin it with illegal migrants.

0|1
    5|0
    • 6d

Its not that they're actively trying to ruin it. They think If they bring people in they will be grateful and vote for them. Making sure they can hold onto power.

• Narratives inuendos or culture clash has been ongoing since the tower of babal fell God seperated all people to build there own communities as they see fit not the UN human rights council of perfect people nonsense

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe you're not properly white then. Anglo's are among the weakest of the white people anyway. Blowing up poor ragheads and Irish babies with heavy artillery. smh bruh. I take it you live in Londonstan?

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

Recommended myTakes