Does "White culture" exist?

Something I've been thinking about recently is how many people when speaking about race seem to default to white America being "white culture". Yet as an Englishman I don't relate to it. And I'm sure every other white person who is not American would agree. I mean an African American to me is still American and I actually see more similarities between those two groups than African Americans and... African Africans. I mean even European culture, is vastly different so why should we think that the amount of melanin we have is a cultural thing?
Update: Wow thank you everyone for answering and thank you more for keeping it civil. I did worry that I was fuelling a fire with this question and am glad everyone's been generally respectful.

1248

Most Helpful Girls

• As a Spanish I always find weird "white culture" or "black culture" terms isolated. Culture is principally subjected to the country more than to race.

If we say there's "white culture" like a broad and global term it doesn't work. Europe is full of white people with many different cultures. I guess the same way happens with Africa and different countries. The term doesn't work unless you specify first the country.

An African American is always going to be more similar to a White American than to someone from other country. But, we can distinguish a "white culture" and a "black culture" inside American culture, due to years of racial segregation.

• After reading comments I notice some people seems not to understand what culture is. They talk about "behavior" and "genes" but that's not culture. Culture is gastronomy, music, dance, festivities, literature, arts, traditions, beliefs, clothes styles too...

In America there's common culture and racial cultures due to segregation. Common culture would be for example Halloween, I think almost every race in US celebrate Halloween. Something related to racial cultures would be clothing, the fashion trends in US have usually been different according to race.

• Plus I only pm if the girl asks

• @up_64 Lol thats a good move to be fair and I was joking really. I just understand enough Spanish to get the general feel and I saw it wasn't related to the thread

• It certainly does in so far as it is limited to the whites of North America. They also have black culture, Asian culture, latino culture, etc etc.
    I think it's because historically, culture has always been much more defined by racial differences in America, as the entire nation was basically just a mix of nationalities and cultures, so race was one of the main defining features.
    In Europe on the other hand, a much older and much more war-struck continent, differences have been far more defined by borders, especially those of nation states so our culture has evolved around that.

• *not to mention the obvious that white culture would be completely useless as a defining feature for Europe, as the entire continent is made up by caucasian peoples.

• On your profile it says you're in the UK? I've lived in England for 2 years and in my experience the culture is far more focused around class than race though..

• Yeah England born and bred. There is a big class divide but it depends on where in the UK your talking about.

The more white areas are fine and they tend to be the ones focusing on class. But one of the reasons that brexit happened was that the Muslim community voted to leave by 60% because they don't like Eastern European moving in to their areas drinking outside their mosques and taking their jobs? (As a taxi driver informed me). and on the other side if I go into any pub around here and asked for someone's opinion on Asians you will get something along the lines of "Indians are sound, sihks are ace but sod those (derogatory term for someone who's family is from Pakistan) bastards" unfortunately I don't think our government cares much about anything that isn't London or the commuting areas.

Also bear in mind that the UK is highly PC and as such it has basically silenced anyone who would talk about it. So people do feel that way, they just say it in private

Most Helpful Guys

• I think the real misunderstanding here is that Americans tend to make projections and sweeping generalizations onto the entire world based on their specific country.

What Americans really mean (in my understanding) when they say "white culture" is actually WASP culture. Or perhaps even more accurately American WASP culture. However, many of the people who talk about this stuff are kind of undifferentiated in their thinking... so a fact that's true for their city or state suddenly turns into a global thing in their mind.

As a (white) European, I would certainly agree with you that "white culture" does not exist.
    Yet, we have some indications that American WASP culture exists. I'm not sure if the differences are pronounced and various enough to call it an entire "culture" but there are certainly some differences between how most black people and most white people in the US live their life. To us outsiders, these differences often seem minute and insignificant but when you actually live in the US, they can feel quite strong.

• Most of my friends are either brown or Asian, all born in Canada though. They have no problems with talking about their "brown culture" and "asian culture", even specifically calling it that. But if I talk about white culture then I am racist.

Even though we are all Canadian and grew up in the same area, there is an actual difference in our cultures. My brown and Asian friends would always talk about how their parents would beat them, despite it being illegal here. Meanwhile my white friends and I all grew up with never once being beat, and at worst a rare spanking on the bum.

There is absolutely a "white culture" but it hasn't really been called that, instead people just call it "western culture". The West made it illegal to beat their children and yet it is still really common among brown and Asian people because it is ingrained in their culture. This is one of the big reasons why I don't think that being a melting pot of cultures in a Country is a good idea. Western Culture isn't perfect but it's the best we got so far, and other cultures are coming in and ignoring our established laws/culture. Sure, they bring good aspects of their culture with them, but they also bring toxic aspects as well.

I'll probably be labeled as racist for sharing this opinion but that is just a way for people to dismiss my thoughts and avoid any critical thinking. I don't hate anybody because of their ethnicity or culture, I am just against bringing toxic aspects of people's cultures into my Country. When identity politics means that being against beating children makes you a racist, you know society has dun goofed.

• I wouldn't call you racist. Maybe a bit xenophobic but I'm not convinced that's a bad thing. I feel like the label racist is used too much when people try to bring up the toxic part of other cultures