Why aren't you allowed to drill for oil in Antarctica?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Treaties
    You should not destroy a fragile environment
    It is only used for scientific research purposes

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Two reasons mostly. One is that we dont really agree on who would have the rights to it and we dont really want to have a war over who gets to drill what. Secondly its environmental concerns such as "What if there is an oil spill" or just that we are trying to cut back on using oil entirely.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 1

What Guys Said 9

• It's a neutral continent meaning no country has rights to build, inhabit or harvest resources from the area except for scientific research purposes.

0|1
    0|0
  • Reliable authorities have estimated that it would cost over US$100 per barrel to get oil from Antarctica.

0|1
    0|0
  • I believe treaty prohibits it.

Additional agreements over the years and the status of their ratification muddies the issue.

0|0
    3|0
    • No shit. But why do these treaties exist

• Probably for two reasons. First would be to prevent Antarctica from becoming militarized. Second would be to prevent a change in economic power structure. Whatever country might find something might advance ahead of those that did not.

• because they are finding alien activity... also they are found new continent there over the ice wall... so thats why things are hush hush... and testing going on

0|1
    0|0
  • I never heard of that but probably cause of those fookin hippies

0|1
    0|0
  • That would be a stupid idea

That would destroy an environment

Also, a treaty prohibits it

0|0
    0|0
  • Treaties.

0|0
    0|0
    • Antarctic Treaty of 1961.

• I know, but why did they make those treaties?

• The same reason why any treaties or laws exist: to make sure everyone has a documented copy of agreed-upon acceptable behavior AND to avoid future violence.

• How about drilling by resorts and beach areas? No?

0|0
    0|0
  • Because they dont want anyone exploring Antarctica, because they would discover that the earth is flat.

0|1
    0|0
    • The Earth isn't flat but there is stuff underneath Antarctica. There could be an entire lost civilization down there.

• Show All
    • Goodnight. 👋😊

• I see. It would also explain why anyone attempting to go solo there gets mysteriously disappeared. Lmao. They kill anyone who tries to reach the glass dome :P

Recommended myTakes