How do you view law enforcement in the United States?

I'm currently striving for a career in law enforcement and I've noticed a lot of people have been asking me if I'm sure because of recent events involving police departments. So I'm curious, how do you view police departments in the United States? You may us the polls and defend your answer if you'd like but they are very broad for a reason so please comment a better one and as always, I love civil conservations so if I respond to your opinion please show the courtesy I will show you. Thank you so much
  • "All cops are racist, you better face it"
    Vote A
  • Police are just over powered, as a result we get 'use of excessive force' and a bunch of "stupid donut eaters"
    Vote B
  • Some police officers are just poorly trained, nothing is perfect you know
    Vote C
  • Police do the best they can, its the people who question the law that are the problem
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 1

• a lot of bad ones

0|0
    0|1
    • 6d

Please explain a bit more, are we talking and thinking about a bad police work type meaning or a moral issue like race, sex, and other derogatory things?

• Show All
    • 6d

"Though police only need verbal confirmation of a transaction in order to arrest a prostitute, law enforcement officials testified to the state House Judiciary Committee last month that if the exemption were removed, it would give criminals knowledge of what the police could and could not do. Officials said that prostitutes would try to “cop check” potential Johns by forcing themselves on the officers sexually, expecting that cops would not be able to go through with a sexual encounter." So doing just a bit more research on this, the policing method was created in the 70's to bust prostitution rings and prostitution however the police force "signaled this week that they’re willing to drop their objections to nixing a bizarre exemption to state law that allows officers to have sex with prostitutes in the course of investigations." So it's not like they were trying to fight for this so they could go fuck a legal prostitute when they wanted. There are steps to an investigation

• 6d

They have the right to use lethal force yes, you also have the right to use lethal force if you are defending yourself

What Guys Said 11

• True story - and I can get sworn testimony to confirm it - when I was a (white) little boy (around 5 years old) my mother use to say to my younger (!) brother and I, "If you kids ever get thrown in jail, you can expect to stay there because your father and I won't be bailing you out! Because if you're in jail it means you belong there. When a police officer approaches you, you say 'Yes, sir,' you say 'No, sir,' and you do exactly what you're told. Am I clear?"

Now, leaving aside the fact that I was bewildered at the idea of how I would end up as the only first grader in San Quentin, the point was made. You obey the law. The police have a risky and dangerous job, they don't know you and your responsibility is to act accordingly. You are not entitled to special treatment. You are not so wonderful that the police are obligated to say "Please" and "Thank you" and make you feel special.

The problem is that we are suffused in a culture of self-absorption and self-pity. Much of what we are seeing are people who presume that they are so wonderful and so special that when the police are not nice to them and have the effrontery to accuse them of something that they have a right - an actual right - to be offended and to act out accordingly.

Is this always true? No. There are undoubtedly some number of police officers who are inadequately trained and even some who harbor bigotry - or even just an "attitude." Police are people too. Deal with it.

The bottom line is that much trouble - and unnecessary suffering and conflict - could be avoided if the starting point was that the police are authority figures in a dangerous business. Therefore they start with the benefit of the doubt and a person who is stopped by a police officer should act accordingly.

This, if for no other reason, then where law enforcement does not exist life returns to a Hobbesian state of nature - "nasty, brutish and short." It is all well and good to say that police are corrupt, bigoted, whatever. There are means for redress of such problems - in a court of law.

Because, bluntly, the alternatives are too savage to entertain. There should therefore be minimal sympathy for those who presume their own virtue and presume the vice of the police. Take that to its logical conclusion and you get the southside of Chicago. Where, by the way, the view of the police is likely to become - if is not already - a great deal more benign than it is among those who see "the man" as the problem.

0|0
    0|0
  • Generally we underpay law enforcement. This leaves police forces to accept people that are poorly suited to have a badge and a gun.

0|1
    0|0
    • 6d

So what's the solution?

• 6d

Increase salaries so that there are multiple applicants for every opening. Every applicant has to take the MMPI (Minnesota Multiple Personality Indicator) test. . Hire people who want to serve their community. Do not hire the people who are seeking authority to repair their broken self-esteem.

• The answer lies somewhere between C & D. Most cops are people like you and me. And a lot have a strong sense of right and wrong. But like any job they have to recruit from the general population. And occasionally a few bad apples get through the good news is they generally don't stay cops for very long.

0|1
    0|0
  • The majority are good cops. There will be a small number of bad people in all professions, it is unavoidable.
    If you become a cop, I think it is important to also socialize with people that don't have that kind of job so you get to be around regular happy people to avoid depression after dealing with the worst people in society many days.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't see police officers as the enemy. I see the laws. They enforce the laws, if I don't like it, complaining about the police does nothing, complain about the law.

If we got rid of the drug laws, majority of police action wouldn't exist. Along with a lot of the crime.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think that basically the whole police culture and training in USA is fundamentally wrong. A good example is that in some places it have given rise to a "we vs 'them'" mentality where they feel that the police as a group is being threatened by 'them' the public. As a result this makes them more likely to look past when other police do something bad or support them just because they are also police officers as well as see the general public not as what to protect but to be protected FROM the public.

0|0
    0|1
    • 6d

I respectful opinion and definitely a better ideal because what you say is true on some levels in my eyes. So I can see a we vs them and sometimes the them is the general public. These can be seen in times like riots and protests especially when it's against a law enforcement stance. So although it is a 'we' police force vs a 'them' public it's more like a 'them' (enter certain group). Whether that group is a certain community (not to be seen as like a racial community), area (certain parts of town with high violence), or event (protestors, rioters, people inciting violence). Can we meet at this common ground?

• 6d

I dont know quite honestly. Friction with the police is quite common in developed nations but I think the responsibility to fix this is on the police side. Not because its not an issue on both sides but that Police should be role models in society in my opinion. If this means they have to break up their little private club they got going on then so be it but I think police should make a conscious effort to stand up for people and see themselves as part of them.

• There are a lot of problems with the police and none of them are huge on their own which is why they dont get a lot of attention but they all come together to make some big problems.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on where you live.

I have noticed California police are bullies with a badge. All the Texan police I've met are southern gentlemen who won't take any bull.

0|0
    3|1
  • It's a mix of B, C and D

0|0
    0|0
  • Different in every town.

0|0
    0|0
  • There are over 13,000 full time law enforcement officers in the US. One gets on the news every couple of months for acting out of line.

That is a monumental level of success.

0|1
    0|0
    • 6d

So what you are saying is the margin of error isn't as big as it seems since the numbers are small?

• 6d

I'm saying bad apples happen, but for it to be one bad apple every couple of months from a pool of nearly 15,000 according to the FBI - that's a tiny number of bad cops. Most of the people who every time there's a bad cop has to face he outlash at their jobs and face the animosity from people while they are free of blame are good people doing important work who go completely unappreciated as their agencies are only singled out when a single individual does something wrong.

It's one of the hardest jobs in the world and backlash for actions of an individual reflecting on the whole make it even harder because young and idealistic children demand things from the people who put their lives on the line every day.

• 6d

I like that answer, when I did my high school internship with my schools resource officer he said something similar, thank you for your input

Recommended myTakes