Should the US have voter ID to prevent Russia meddling in the US election?

Should the US have voter ID to prevent Russia meddling in the US election?
  • Yes..
    Vote A
  • No..
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• We have very little indication of direct voter fraud being an issue. Our very hackable voting apparatus is concerning.

0|2
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• No. Voter idea laws in US states where they exist have shown to be consistently used to disenfranchise and discriminate against minorities.

There is a MUCH easier way to prevent interference: simply have paper ballots.

I really don't understand why the US has such a needlessly complicated and utterly dysfunctional voting system.

Here in Switzerland, it's so easy any preschooler could do it:
    All citizens receive their voting material in their personal mailbox via postal service. Local governments know where everyone lives because you are legally required to register with your (new) local government every time you move. This means that nobody has to register for elections like in America. You also don't have to register with a political party like in America.
    If you have the Swiss citizenship, you automatically receive all the voting material (usually around 2 months before an election/referendum). Every time.

Then, all you need to do is sit on your couch, fill out your voting sheets, put them back into the pre-stamped return-envelop the government sends you as well, walk 400 yards to your nearest yellow postbox and throw it in there. Done.

Nobody can interfere in this system. On election day, all the paper ballots are manually counted.

0|1
    0|1
  • That's like asking if Americans should have Navy Seals stationed in the Republican and Democratic National Offices, to prevent Russians from hacking in. Navy Seals can't stop it, and neither will voter ID stop the Russians from hacking in. Russians win, if we get over reactive, and require voter ID. That will diminish the numbers of people voting, and disrupt the voting process. That is exactly what the Russians want, and voter ID will make the Russians win. There is NO wide spread voter fraud in America. There are no large numbers of people illegally voting. And voter ID won't change Russians hacking, because an ID doesn't stop hacking. The Russians want to stop voting, they want to make voting harder, by having more hurdles to jump.

0|2
    0|1

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 7

What Guys Said 23

• It's not really a bad idea - but not in the sense to catch "Russians" but more like to not let illegals vote.

0|1
    0|0
  • forgive English, i am Russia.

i come to study clothing and fashion at American university. i am here little time and i am very hard stress. i am gay also and this very difficult for me, i am very religion person. i never act to be gay with other men before. but after i am in america 6 weeks i am my friend together he is gay also. He was show me American fashion and then we are kiss.

wWe sex together. I never before now am tell my mother about gay because i am very shame. As i fock this American boy it is very good to me but also i am feel so guilty. I feel extreme guilty as I begin orgasm. I feel so guilty that I pick up my telephone and call Mother in Russia. I awaken her. It too late for stopping so I am cumming sex. I am very upset and guilty and crying, so I yell her, "I AM CUM FROM SEX" (in Russia). She say what? I say "I AM CUM FROM SEX" and she say you boy, do not marry American girl, and I say "NO I AM CUM FROM SEX WITH MAN, I AM IN ASS, I CUM IN ASS" and my mother very angry me. She not get scared though.

I hang up phone and am very embarrass. My friend also he is very embarrass. I am guilt and feel very stupid. I wonder, why do I gay with man? But I continue because when it spurt it feel very good in American ass.

0|1
    0|0
  • No. Photo ID would not prevent Russian meddling. In fact voter fraud that could be stopped with photo ID is basically unheard of while on the other hand the percentage of people who lack photo ID can be up to 15% in certain minority groups removing their ability to vote entirely.

If you want to secure your vote you need to figure out another system to verify people rather than a picture.

0|2
    0|0
  • I'm all for voter ID but that wouldn't stop russia from meddling, in our last election the Russian government largely used social media outlets to influence American public opinion, voter ID wouldn't solve that problem

0|1
    0|0
    • jack: Being as there is actually very little voter fraud across America, why do we need voter ID, making another hurdle for voters? All voter ID will do, it make is so fewer people will vote, and it won't stop fraudulent voting, because there is very, very, little in the first place.

• Show All
    • Jack: The ID required, is a state, picture ID. Not something from a job, etc. Nobody saw much need to these ID's, until black and brown people started voting in numbers that threatened Republicans. Republicans saw voter ID as a way to make it more difficult to vote, and to help keep black and brown people from voting. That's because they know black people are less likely to have a state picture ID, than are white people.

• In the united states a legal form of ID is a state issued drivers license or a state ID. You most certainly can say there is racial motivation to it, however the fact is that if these forms of ID are utilised then all working class americans will be able to vote. Its not likely to have any large scale effect on future elections. The only indeviduals who would be effected by what I'm purposing would be people who do not have a government approved job

• we should have voter ID for many reasons. this has been a question for several cycles. strangely enough, the same types of people are the loudest opponents.
    consider how the so-called "meddling" was conducted and ask if voter id would address it.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm all for voter ID.

What is the logical case against it?

0|1
    0|0
  • Hey, don't make it harder for us to meddle again!

Last time me and my bear nearly lost our sleep while hacking Hillary's brain to cause her seizures and blackouts.

0|1
    0|0
  • Putin has made Russia great again. In a way. Why would they want to interfere in some U. S. elections? But if it serves the U. S. ego: Exclude ''Israalien'' intervention.

0|1
    0|0
  • Voter ID is presumably authentication at the voting booth.
    Horever, I would have thought a foreign power would have more influence through Internet and other channels , before the voting begins.

0|1
    0|0
    • madgoat: You are right. The voter ID drive, is simply a Republican lead voter suppression plan, to make it more difficult to vote. Republicans know, if they make it more difficult to vote, for those who it's more difficult to get voter ID cards, will vote in fewer numbers. Republicans also know, voter suppression cuts more Democrat votes that Republicans. Thus, Republicans use Russian interference as a bogus reason to require voter ID cards.

• LOL, Russian inteference in US politcs and elections pales in comparison with interference by some other countries, but yeah, Voter ID is good.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, but the liberals say that it is racist to expect any non white person to prove legality and I am a scared little boy. What should I do? wats should I do?

0|1
    0|0
  • Requiring ID seems like common sense to me, but apparently it's racist lol

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah to prevent illegal aliens from voting, Russia is not a concern.

0|1
    0|0
  • Putin for president 2020

0|4
    0|1
  • Yeah, I visit r/the_Donald too.

0|1
    0|0
  • I see what you did there
    Nice

0|2
    0|0