Should the US have voter ID to prevent Russia meddling in the US election?

• Yes..
  • No..

825

Most Helpful Girl

• We have very little indication of direct voter fraud being an issue. Our very hackable voting apparatus is concerning.

Most Helpful Guys

• No. Voter idea laws in US states where they exist have shown to be consistently used to disenfranchise and discriminate against minorities.

There is a MUCH easier way to prevent interference: simply have paper ballots.

I really don't understand why the US has such a needlessly complicated and utterly dysfunctional voting system.

Here in Switzerland, it's so easy any preschooler could do it:
    All citizens receive their voting material in their personal mailbox via postal service. Local governments know where everyone lives because you are legally required to register with your (new) local government every time you move. This means that nobody has to register for elections like in America. You also don't have to register with a political party like in America.
    If you have the Swiss citizenship, you automatically receive all the voting material (usually around 2 months before an election/referendum). Every time.

Then, all you need to do is sit on your couch, fill out your voting sheets, put them back into the pre-stamped return-envelop the government sends you as well, walk 400 yards to your nearest yellow postbox and throw it in there. Done.

Nobody can interfere in this system. On election day, all the paper ballots are manually counted.

• That's like asking if Americans should have Navy Seals stationed in the Republican and Democratic National Offices, to prevent Russians from hacking in. Navy Seals can't stop it, and neither will voter ID stop the Russians from hacking in. Russians win, if we get over reactive, and require voter ID. That will diminish the numbers of people voting, and disrupt the voting process. That is exactly what the Russians want, and voter ID will make the Russians win. There is NO wide spread voter fraud in America. There are no large numbers of people illegally voting. And voter ID won't change Russians hacking, because an ID doesn't stop hacking. The Russians want to stop voting, they want to make voting harder, by having more hurdles to jump.