Is banning and enacting more gun control laws a tool of the rich or powerful against poorer people, perhaps lower class?

I feel like I’m onto something here. If there was any subset of people who had a legitimate reason to obtain and possess firearms, it would be those in poorer environments or neighborhoods, who have on average, an exorbitant amount of violent crime and gang activity and the only way to defend against that sort of threat is to also be able to own a firearm. These people in these poorer settings usually cannot easily leave their home due to financial and personal reasons, which makes them essentially stagnant ducks in a lake, filled with alligators aka criminals. These criminals will not listen to police nor will they care about one more gun control law on the books. If these criminals want to carry, they’ll carry, and if they want to shoot and kill someone, they will. I think it’s selfish to these poorer people to create more uncommon sense gun laws and create more restriction on owning guns due to false beliefs of safety and emotional reaction.

1039

Most Helpful Girls

• I am not sure if it is intentional, but it is a form of systematic oppression. If it is intentional, I’m betting it’s for population control. Banning guns is only going to have the opposite affect of its original purpose.
    How people don’t understand that? I have no idea.

• Because guns=death=scary. Why think when you could just feel and react?

Besides, if you don't blame guns for the problem, you have to start looking at people as the problem, and that's instantly more complicated and harder. The fact that it's the only actual real solution is irrelevant. People don't want to have to work hard to feel like they've done something or care.

• @Wowgirl10q so very very true. And inner city single moms and seniors that are scared in their own homes. It's not right these people live in terror while ivy league graduates live behind gates a few miles away protected even at their work places by armed guards and tell us all that guns are the problems.

• It's an issue as you've stated that can be seen as a class issue. After all- most people who support gun ownership are labeled as red necks, low education etc.

I don't subscribe to that logic. I am in full support of owning firearms for whatever reason a person legally wants to.

I do believe we need a method for weeding out folks who have a tendency to abuse any weapons.

There are a lot of sitting duck folks all over the world- some have been disarmed by their govt, some have done so voluntarily.

Most Helpful Guys

• So. Much. This.

As much as I respect the police, the reality is that in the neighborhoods you're talking about (some of which I have family members living in), when seconds matter the police are minutes away. There's nothing they can do to prevent you from being stabbed and shot (with an illegally obtained firearm) before they get to your apartment or house in the bad neighborhood. Only you're going to be able to do that, and removing the most vulnerable people's tools to do that isn't caring or common sense, it's cruel and callous and based on living in ivory tower environments.

• Rich and powerful people aren't the ones getting shot. Banning guns--like Australia did in the 90s--completely eliminates mass shootings. At least, in Australia's case, it completely eliminated their growing mass shooting issue. At minimum, banning guns would *profoundly* lower suicide rates and mass shootings, while significantly lowering homicide rates. 80% of guns used in mass shootings are obtained from legal sources. 80%. So is this an illegal weapon issue? No. *Obviously* not.

Having a gun doesn't solve anything. It just escalates the violence and puts you in a position where you have to use it. Vengeance begets vengeance. In addition, Harvard found that guns are most often used for intimidation, rather than self-defense. You think people are clutching their guns responsibly and going, "I will protect my family." No. They're going, "You fucking cunt, talk shit to my glock"

You know who criminals kill? Other criminals. It was the same with the mob. They racked up *insane* body counts. But they weren't killing civilians. They were killing other mobsters. Yeah, some civilians get killed. But you know what kills more civilians? Legal guns.

Or do you think that if a family has some guns, that will stop the bullets flying through their windows in a drive by that kill their 4 year old daughter? It won't. All it will do is get more bullets flying and more 4 year olds dead, when some dumbass ghetto people jump out and start shooting back, trying to get revenge.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

• Great quote from "The Expanse." "If you give a monkey a stick, he's going to use it to beat another monkey to death with it."

There's a reason the safest places on Earth do not have civilian gun ownership [with the exception of Switzerland, who has high gun ownership, but also low homicides: exception]. As Harvard also found: where there are more guns, there is more violence. Quite obviously so. The same way the more countries have nukes, the higher the likelihood of them being used.

If you give a monkey a stick, it's going to use it to beat another monkey to death with it.