Why Is Adoption A Taboo In Many 1st World Countries?

For a reason adoption is seen as both embarrassing and a taboo in many 1st world countries, while abortion is seen as an okay thing to do. Very few people talks about adoption and it's as much a taboo as foster care. In addition there's surprisingly many people who either don't know what adoption is or how it works. In sex educations many talks about where to go if you wants to get an abortion, but no one talks about where to go if you wants to adopt away. People are more likely to suggest their friends an abortion than adoption/foster care if the person has decided to not wanting to keep their children. Adopting people from the same country is also a more of a taboo than adopting children from other countries in my country. Adopting away children is more looked down upon than abortion and in some places it's unheard of. People don't say anything, but the social pressure is still there.

I'm not saying every 1st world countries are like that, but many are. Some countries and places in Scandinavia sees adoption as a taboo from what I've noticed. Norway for instance adoption is often forgotten and seen as a foreign awkward thing. People are fine with already adopted people and most people don't experience discrimination. But it's however seen as a bit weird that other people either adopts or adopts away. Way more people are open about their abortions than adoption. #Adoption #Abortion #ProLifeProChoice #ProLife

1827

Most Helpful Guys

• I wouldn't say it's taboo in the US. However there is a certain amount of social pressure not to put a child up for adoption. It's somewhat subtle, but it's there.

You are touching on two different topics, abortion and adoption. They are very different "solutions" to the same thing. They are different enough that they are treated differently.

Obviously abortion is a hot topic. It is accepted by some, and rejected by others. Usually with quite strong opinions about it. It's done behind closed doors. Most friends, neighbors and family may not even know about it.

With adoption, pretty much everyone will know about the pregnancy. Once that child is born people care more about what happens to it. Being raised by the biological parent is seen as ideal. With abortion, the fetus might not be seen as a child at all. But with adoption it most definitely is a child. It's a cute little baby that lives and breaths. It smiles. It looks around in fascination at the world. It eats, sleeps, burps and poops. Giving that child away is psychologically very different than adoption in so many ways.

To give a child up for adoption is seen as a failure. It's seen as a solution to a mistake. And that view is right. It's a solution to a less than idea situation.

Abortion is also solution to a less than ideal situation. Many would see it as significantly worse. But very likely nobody knows about it. It's not the cute little smiling baby that is given up. It's this "thing" that (if it happens to be known about) just disappears, and everyone pretends it didn't happen.

Abortions have become the easy option. Get it over with and be done. Adoption still requires nine months of carrying the baby. Then the birth itself. Not everyone wants to go through that.

No, adoption is not talked about. Neither is abortion. An unwanted pregnancy is not talked about. It is (rightfully) seen as a failure. It means "Whoops, fucked up this time." While I would not call "fucking up" in this or any other way a taboo, fucking up is fucking up. That always carries a certain social stigma.

• I think part of the reason is because in some places the adoption/ foster care system is broken so badly. some times the kids are set up with terrible families who beat and abuse them, or in foster care use the kids as meal tickets thanks to the money they receive from the government. another reason I think is because if you give a child up for adoption it makes you look bad