What was your opinion on Ronald Reagan as US President from 1981-1989?

What was your opinion on Ronald Reagan as US President from 1981-1989?
He wasn't perfect by any means, but he was a hell of a lot better than Trump. I am a Democrat and I still have a lot of respect for Reagan.

1|0

Most Helpful Girl

• A great example of an American leader actually leading.

0|2
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• One of the best presidents ever. Certainly the best since I've been watching politics (since Kennedy). Part of it was the timing. He was the right person at the right time. He's by far the most beloved president in modern times. Which is part of what made him good. He was like the cheer leader saying go team go. And they did.

0|2
    0|0
  • better than trump. but overall not that great in my opinion. created tons of poverty. armed and funded terrorist organizations (including osama bin laden). trickle down economics failed (per usual). proliferated the drug war while funding drug lords. and his biggest claim to fame the fall of the berlin wall and collapse of USSR was more a result of USSR's president gorbachev belief in democracy and need and personal desire to modernize and privatize russia

for some reason he is remembered quite fondly. not sure if it because of the assasination attempt or what. but from my perspective he wasn't especially good

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 3

• He was friends with terrorists
    Terrible healthcare
    I do love his pro-gun stance

0|1
    0|2
  • He didn't matter to me since i wasn't born yet

0|0
    0|0
  • No opinion really. Though I've heard of Reganomics

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 14

• A fair case can be made that Reagan's was one of the most effective and consequential presidencies of the 20th century, if not in all of American history. Three issues, two specific, the third more general, buttress this claim. Inflation, the Cold War and the national mood.

In the first, as Robert Samuelson wrote in his book, The Great Inflation,' by the end of the 1970s, galloping inflation had almost come to be accepted among policymakers as the systemic condition of democracy. That democratic electorates would not tolerate the policy changes necessary to reign it in.

Thus, by 1979, the rate of inflation hit 14.5% - the highest annual rate in peacetime and 13.1% by 1980 - the first time the country had experienced back-to-back years of double digit inflation in peacetime. Reagan, unlike previous presidents, refused to pressure the Fed to idle back on interest rates, and in tandem with his tax cuts that provided an offsetting stimulus, brought inflation down to 1.1% by 1986, breaking the back of inflationary expectations.

In terms of the Cold War, it is hard to recall the degree to which it was seen as a permanent fixture of international affairs - with its overtones of nuclear annihilation. As Kenneth Adelman points out in his book on the Reykjavik summit, Reagan intuited that the Soviet system was on the brink. A fact that Western intelligence agencies could not confirm until the eve of the summit when they discovered a secret speech that Soviet leader Gorbachev gave to the Soviet leadership.

Reagan's policies were seen as belligerent, but they had the effect of forcing the Soviets to push their defense spending to 42% of GDP. (For comparison, even at the height of WWII, U. S. defense spending reached only 32% of GDP.) This was unsustainable and in the end brought about the USSR's collapse, a fact that Gorbachev himself later confirmed in his own memoirs.

Finally, there was the change in the national mood. The nation experienced in the 1960s and 70s a level of social tumult it had not seen since the 19th century. (Not unlike the nation's current tensions.) Reagan's personal style helped to reduce this leading to the relative social peace of the 80s and 90s. (This was captured brilliantly in a cartoon that showed a pollster asking a voter what he thought of Reagan's policies - #@*!! was the response. Next panel - What he thought of Reagan personally - "Oh nice guy, friendly, jovial'")

Add it all up and you have the case for Reagan's significance.

0|0
    0|0
  • pros
    -Brought us out of the recession we were in under Carter
    -lowered unemployment overall
    -Revived American pride
    - brought a peaceful end to the cold war
    cons
    -Iran contra scandal
    - though wealth overall increased under Reagan the so did the wealth gap in America but to be fair that's increased under every president since as well.
    - though well intended SDI

Best president we've had in my life time.

0|1
    0|1
  • He is largely responsible for escalating the cold war again
    He was also a part of the move towards financial deregulation that is still screwing usbover today
    The fallacy that is trickle down economics was popularized by him and his administration another thing that is still haunting us today
    So I do not think too highly of him

0|1
    0|0
  • He blew up the deficit, and his administration was responsible for the Iran-Contra affair. So not much. W was worse, but no president in my lifetime comes close to the current disaster.

0|0
    0|0
  • I consider Ronald Reagan as one of the worst US president in the history of the US. Granted his position has been overthrown with some recent new additions.

0|0
    0|0
  • I am the same - I liked him as a man but his policy too right wing for me

0|1
    0|0
  • I was born during the Jimmy Carter Administration in 1977. I loved Reagan.
    My whole family loved him.

0|1
    0|0
  • Best president since Truman!

He was an “America Kicks Ass!” president!

0|1
    0|0
  • He is the reason that homelessness exploded and the reason the economy began failing. So I don't care for him much.

0|0
    0|0
  • Trickle down economics. A big fat failure

Armed and funded terrorist organizations. He should have been in prison for this

0|0
    0|0
  • he was beautiful, smart had cool hair and a rockin bod/smile

0|1
    0|0
  • Mr Gorbachev tear down this wall.

0|1
    0|0
  • I have not heard anything bad about him

0|1
    0|0
  • No idea who he is