Would you take the #MeToo route?

Would you voice it on #MeToo if you feel other available means cannot effectively punish the scoundrel?Would you take the #MeToo route?
  • Yes, #MeToo is a perfect way to teach a lesson
  • No, the damage might be irreparable if events weren't based on facts

517

Most Helpful Girl

• In #MeToo most people have not named who the culprit was. It was more about saying "this happened to me also", not about putting people in jail. It just happened to coincide with a very big harassment scandal.

Somehow people have collapsed this down into one thing in their minds, and almost immediately the cries of "but what about a false allegation?" went up, loud and clear.

The truth is, very few rape cases involve false allegations if the victim knows the perpetrator. False allegations happen in only about 2-8% of cases brought before law enforcement. The constant need by some people to say "all" or "most" allegations are false is a way of skewing the discussion to focus on the false cases, and take focus off of the reality that many women, many trans, and even a lot of men experience harassment, assault and rape at an alarming rate.

While false allegation is certainly worth discussing, that issue shouldn't dominate all discussions about the real prevalence of sexual misconduct in our society.

Most Helpful Guy

• Metoo is not about punishing anyone but to draw attention to the fact that rape or sexual assault is much more common that people think and to give victims the support they need to actually contact the authorities and get justice.

Its called Metoo after all, focusing on the victim rather than accusing anyone of anything and not Himtoo (just for arguments sake, not saying all rapists are men)