What's The Highest Virtue That Society Should Strive Fpr?

I think I'd choose liberty.

527

Most Helpful Girl

• Security. The main reason people band together is security.

• Mm. Even at the cost of liberty?

• Depends. Individual freedom at the cost of national security is stupid, because when the nation goes down, you go down.

• Gotcha, thanks.

Most Helpful Guys

• Prudence. The quality or fact of being wise in practical affairs, as by providing for the future and showing caution with regard to practical matters; discretion.

To quote Edmund Burke: “Prudence is not only the first in rank of the virtues political and moral, but she is the director, the regulator, the standard of them all. Metaphysics cannot live without definition; but prudence is cautious how she defines. Our courts cannot be more fearful in suffering fictitious cases to be brought before them for eliciting their determination on a point of law, than prudent moralists are in putting extreme and hazardous cases of conscience upon emergencies not existing.”

Prudence, in both the life of the individual and the life of a society allows that society know in what degree all other virtues are necessary and in what proportion they need to be exercised. It restrains also the vices of imperfect beings.

In that connection, as regards liberty, Burke again points up the problem with making it the central virtue. "The effect of liberty to individuals is that they may do what they please. We ought see what it will please them to do before we risk congratulations."

It is the fallacy of Enlightenment rationalism that if liberty was maximized, that social harmony would follow. It is counterintuitive on its face. "Where there is no law, but every man does what is right in his own eyes, there is the least of real liberty."

Liberty is a construct that depends upon all sorts of other virtues. In an economic context, it depends on contract law, anti-fraud laws, and much else. In a social contract, it depends upon trust between individuals and a respect for other beings as of inherent worth their own right.

Prudence is the virtue that balances and harmonizes the other virtues and makes a cohesive society possible. Without it, any other virtue, taken to its extreme, easily becomes a vice.

• As always thanks for the well written response. I think this was the most disconcerting quote to me though, ""The effect of liberty to individuals is that they may do what they please. We ought see what it will please them to do before we risk congratulations."" Can you explain what that means to you?

• It’s a laughing face, my apologies. I grew up in the internet world more or less.

Yes it’s the whole notion of my right to swing my fist around until it reaches your nose. That simple concept I think covers most all ills.

• No need to apologize. Just never forget that you are talking to a guy who is in the "gum my dinner" demographic. Cheers!

• Liberty combined with values and conscience in my case. I don't think freedom is a sufficient condition on its own, but a free society of conscience and values is where I think human suffering will be minimized.

• People against liberty often say a free society is "dogs eats dog", "strong exploit the weak", that sort of thing. And that's only maybe somewhat true if the strong lack values. If the strong have values, they don't exploit the weak. They protect the weak.

• @goaded Abortion is a tricky one. I'm rather anti-abortion in nature (I even persuaded one of my friends to have her child) and pro-choice in law at the same time. The problem I find with criminalizing abortion is perverse incentives -- which I could go into in detail. But I question the goal. What's the goal?

What about the pregnant woman who has no desire or love for her child, might eat all the wrong things, smoke, drink, etc? We could try to criminalize every possible thing she might do which isn't beneficial to the child, maybe even put her in a straitjacket until she gives birth as a most extreme example. But then what?

So I see the goal as teaching her to be a loving and responsible parent -- to want the child. And that's something far beyond the realm of law as I see it.

• @goaded Kind of tying to that McDonalds analogy, I might be a bit idealistic in wanting to explore values to dissuade people from the most counter-productive and unhealthy behaviors absent law. But there's a realist in me which sees that as maybe the only possible option, that we might not be able to criminalize away these unwanted behaviors with the effects we hoped to achieve. I'd rather focus on instilling people with the right sort of goals and desires to pursue goals which are beneficial to them, and to society as whole, rather than try to outlaw every possible thing which could hinder them from doing that.