If your partner was richer, would you be offended if they wanted you to sign a prenup/premarital agreement?

• Yes
  • No
  • Maybe
    Vote C
  • Depends
    Vote D
  • (Results)
    Vote E

1636

Most Helpful Guys

• Prenuptial agreements are worthless.
    In the USA, gynocentric judges throw them out routinely.
    Here in Australia, the Family Law Act was amended to include a clause which stated that the Act took precedence over prenuptial agreements.
    If a man wants to go down the road to almost certain destruction (aka marriage, or any form of cohabitational relationship with a woman), the best way to protect his assets is to have his lawyer and his accountant structure his affairs in a way that removes assets and income from his direct ownership, so that they cannot be included in a judgement.
    For example, here in Australia a man can move all his assets into a legal entity that is known as a trust. The man can be the administrator and sole beneficiary of the trust, or he can be one of multiple beneficiaries.
    As the administrator, he is allowed to distributed income from the trust at his discretion, which means that the trust can pay all his bills and pay him a small direct income that will be below that tax threshold.
    When he works, he can be hired out by the trust as a freelance contractor. The trust will be paid for his work, then pass on a pittance to him as direct income.
    This deprives the woman of both spousal and child support, as well as a claim on any assets.
    I have several properties that have a combined value that is well into seven figures, but I do not own them directly. The trust owns them.
    I also have a security company, which is owned by the trust, which hires me out to clients in the same way that its hires out the guards who work through me.
    I am certain that US law would allow a structure that would achieve the same end. The top 1 per cent need that sort of structure to protect themselves.
    The time to put a legal structure in place is today, before a relationship and marriage take place, so that a gynocentric judge cannot decide that the structure was put in place to prevent the Family Court stealing everything that a man has and giving it to the woman.
    Perhaps @olderandwiser could comment?

• 4d

Inn my experience, prenuptial agreements are upheld if both parties have made an adequate financial disclosure to the other and each has had independent legal counsel. Trying to draft a prenuptial agreement without the benefit of an attorney is a fool's economy because those agreements tend to have flaws that will get them set aside.

When prenuptial agreements are set aside, it gets much more notice than when a prenuptial agreement is upheld, so you hear much more about bad agreements being set aside. I my area, most judges do not automatically favor women and shared custody agreements that approach 50/50 are quite common.

• There are only two reasons to get married in my opinion.

1. You are religious and want to make a commitment before God.
    2. You specifically want to combine finances and be one unit.

As a wealthy man, I get the God part, but for the life of me I don't know why you would ever want to combine finances? Whether I am rich or poor or my wife to be was rich or poor, it seems financially prudent to have separate finances. For example if I ever lost all my money, I could have my wife take out a loan a bank wouldn't give me and start a business under her name. etc. Or say we got divorced, well her car would be in her name and mine in mine and our house in both ours most likely so, pretty easy to split all that up. As we buy stuff we just put it in the names of who is the one who really owns it. Simple. Say she was wealthy too and had her own business. Well why would we spilt up both our businesses in a divorce? She should keep hers and I will keep mine. Win win in every instance pretty much. It only matters when someone divorces who wants something that wasn't theirs when they got in the marriage. Which is gold digger alert 1000.

Why does a poor stay at home mom of a plumber get nothing in a divorce while a poor stay at home mom who marries a rich man deserve more money? They do the same thing, stay at home with a kid. Its 100% the man that brought the money in. So sure a woman contributes to the household but 0% to the mans income.

Just makes no business sense. And as a wealthy man, I am all about smart business decisions.

Most Helpful Girls

• Hell yeah. We wouldn’t even be getting married.

• If you truly love your partner, signing a paper that's basically a contract saying you're not in it for the money shouldn't be a problem.

It's not that the partner thinks, "Oh, you're gonna seal my money if we divorce." They don't believe you will do it, but they're also not in your brain. They don't know what will happen if you 2 divorce.

It's that they're protecting themselves IF it does happen. You can't predict the future, nobody can all you can do is prepare for the worst case scenarios.