If your partner was richer, would you be offended if they wanted you to sign a prenup/premarital agreement?

If your partner was richer, would you be offended if they wanted you to sign a prenup/premarital agreement?
  • Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
  • Maybe
    Vote C
  • Depends
    Vote D
  • (Results)
    Vote E
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Prenuptial agreements are worthless.
    In the USA, gynocentric judges throw them out routinely.
    Here in Australia, the Family Law Act was amended to include a clause which stated that the Act took precedence over prenuptial agreements.
    If a man wants to go down the road to almost certain destruction (aka marriage, or any form of cohabitational relationship with a woman), the best way to protect his assets is to have his lawyer and his accountant structure his affairs in a way that removes assets and income from his direct ownership, so that they cannot be included in a judgement.
    For example, here in Australia a man can move all his assets into a legal entity that is known as a trust. The man can be the administrator and sole beneficiary of the trust, or he can be one of multiple beneficiaries.
    As the administrator, he is allowed to distributed income from the trust at his discretion, which means that the trust can pay all his bills and pay him a small direct income that will be below that tax threshold.
    When he works, he can be hired out by the trust as a freelance contractor. The trust will be paid for his work, then pass on a pittance to him as direct income.
    This deprives the woman of both spousal and child support, as well as a claim on any assets.
    I have several properties that have a combined value that is well into seven figures, but I do not own them directly. The trust owns them.
    I also have a security company, which is owned by the trust, which hires me out to clients in the same way that its hires out the guards who work through me.
    I am certain that US law would allow a structure that would achieve the same end. The top 1 per cent need that sort of structure to protect themselves.
    The time to put a legal structure in place is today, before a relationship and marriage take place, so that a gynocentric judge cannot decide that the structure was put in place to prevent the Family Court stealing everything that a man has and giving it to the woman.
    Perhaps @olderandwiser could comment?

1|2
    1|0
    • 4d

Inn my experience, prenuptial agreements are upheld if both parties have made an adequate financial disclosure to the other and each has had independent legal counsel. Trying to draft a prenuptial agreement without the benefit of an attorney is a fool's economy because those agreements tend to have flaws that will get them set aside.

When prenuptial agreements are set aside, it gets much more notice than when a prenuptial agreement is upheld, so you hear much more about bad agreements being set aside. I my area, most judges do not automatically favor women and shared custody agreements that approach 50/50 are quite common.

• There are only two reasons to get married in my opinion.

1. You are religious and want to make a commitment before God.
    2. You specifically want to combine finances and be one unit.

As a wealthy man, I get the God part, but for the life of me I don't know why you would ever want to combine finances? Whether I am rich or poor or my wife to be was rich or poor, it seems financially prudent to have separate finances. For example if I ever lost all my money, I could have my wife take out a loan a bank wouldn't give me and start a business under her name. etc. Or say we got divorced, well her car would be in her name and mine in mine and our house in both ours most likely so, pretty easy to split all that up. As we buy stuff we just put it in the names of who is the one who really owns it. Simple. Say she was wealthy too and had her own business. Well why would we spilt up both our businesses in a divorce? She should keep hers and I will keep mine. Win win in every instance pretty much. It only matters when someone divorces who wants something that wasn't theirs when they got in the marriage. Which is gold digger alert 1000.

Why does a poor stay at home mom of a plumber get nothing in a divorce while a poor stay at home mom who marries a rich man deserve more money? They do the same thing, stay at home with a kid. Its 100% the man that brought the money in. So sure a woman contributes to the household but 0% to the mans income.

Just makes no business sense. And as a wealthy man, I am all about smart business decisions.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Hell yeah. We wouldn’t even be getting married.

5|1
    1|0
  • If you truly love your partner, signing a paper that's basically a contract saying you're not in it for the money shouldn't be a problem.

It's not that the partner thinks, "Oh, you're gonna seal my money if we divorce." They don't believe you will do it, but they're also not in your brain. They don't know what will happen if you 2 divorce.

It's that they're protecting themselves IF it does happen. You can't predict the future, nobody can all you can do is prepare for the worst case scenarios.

1|4
    1|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 34

• No although it may depend on how they ask. If they explicitly say it's because they don't trust me then yeah that would be rather offensive. If they just said that they thought it was a good idea based on everything they've seen I'd agree.

1|1
    0|0
  • No, I woulsnt get married without one. If they aren't with you for your money why would they be offended?

2|1
    1|0
    • 3d

So the op downvoted because you are a gold digger? If you think it's planning I vaguely see your point, but if you yourself aren't pla ning for failure then logically it makes zero difference to you what agreement is in place. So, you're either a gold digger or... Nope you're just a gold digger.

• 3d

Lol I upvoted 😂

• 3d

OK sorry, whoever the flip downvoted then.

• If my potential wife is thinking what may happen should we break up, is so cynical that she thinks that I may try and rob her money, and thinks I could give a shit about her money, then she's probably not the wife for me. Call me a commie idealist if you like!

2|0
    0|1
    • 4d

Almost no one believes that they will get divorced when they get married, yet about 60% do. It is therefore incredibly naive and foolish not to plan for that possibility.

• 4d

@MrOracle Please don't project on your American materialistic outlook onto the rest of the world. To each their own.

• I would understand it but at the same time I dislike the idea of going into something planning for failure... If you are planning for failure you are more likely to fail as I see it

1|0
    0|0
  • Any party to a marriage that is offended by a pre-nup isn't ready for the marriage. Period. If you leave a marriage you leave with what you came there with.
    And offense by it is a huge red flag. People with money protect themselves.

2|2
    1|0
  • A marriage is legally nothing more nor less than a business partnership.

Usually, the operating agreement of the partnership is dictated by the government. That is wrong.

Everyone should have the opportunity to set the terms for their own agreements.

1|1
    0|0
  • Well my s/o somewhat earns around the same as me and in future if we get married we both have agreed to sign a prenuptial agreement. The likely chance of divorce is slim to none because how marriages and relationships viewed in some Asian countries are very different from our western counterparts.

1|0
    0|0
  • If she wants marriage I'd assume she is trying to use and abuse me anyways. I wouldn't get legally married again. And if she tried to insist on marriage then I would be certain she is trying to steal from me and leave her.

1|1
    0|0
  • It depends upon what I think and feel after reading it, but before signing anything. I may want to make some changes or additions to the terms of the agreement.
    I may not like it at all and refuse.
    It just depends.

1|0
    0|0
  • No, if its not mine and I didn't earn it, i have no right to it.

3|1
    0|0
  • I wouldn't trust any woman who refused to sign a pre nup.

To me it says she only cares about my money. If she had no intention of leaving me, she wouldn't have a problem signing it.

1|1
    1|0
  • Yes. If you don't trust each other enough you shouldn't get married anyway.

3|0
    0|0
  • Neah not at all being rich or not is their business I would never want or need their money so a prenup seems very natural

1|1
    1|0
  • Is just to protect something that isn't actually yours... have dignity and skip a fight if you ever got divorced.

1|1
    0|0
  • No it's not like I'm walking into this assest free and as bad as my first wife fucked me over in the divorce if she didn't ask for one i would

1|1
    0|0
  • With the frequency of divorce a pre-nup makes sense even if you are not rich.

2|1
    0|0
  • I was Married 2 times. If 3 happens it will be with a prenup

1|1
    1|0
    • 4d

After two divorces and being arse raped twice by courts, you should have learned to stay away from women.

• No, although I don't plan on marrying in the first place.

1|1
    0|0
  • I would understand. Besides it's only sensible that one wants to secure their life earnings.

1|1
    0|0
  • It makes sure everyone gets respected when love is no more.

1|0
    0|0
  • I would say no, unless the agreement itself was super pedantic and included unnecessary things.

1|0
    0|0
  • Im not gonna be in a relationship for money anyways. So NO

1|0
    0|0
  • No, it's just smart these days.

2|1
    0|0
  • No i wouldn't.

1|0
    0|0
  • No i wouldn't be offended.

2|1
    0|0
  • I don't believe In pre nups

3|0
    0|0
  • Nope

2|1
    0|0
  • They don't work anyways. pffft

1|0
    1|0
  • Nope.

1|1
    0|0
  • Nope, I'd even ask for one. You never know.

1|1
    1|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 14

• No rich man or woman is foolish to marry without a pre nup. We don’t know the gold diggers out there and have systems to throw your ass on the street curb if you act up with us. It’s inherited or worked hard for and none of us are losing that to a b***** ever!!!

2|2
    2|0
  • I would want him to trust that I would not betray him and take his money. It's logical to get one because there's always a probability of a divorce or that person betraying you to leave with your money. I think if the richer spouse cheats, taking part of their money is more justified

4|1
    1|0
  • the prenup helps the girl also because you get a lot of money if the marriage ends without having to fight for it in a divorce

1|0
    1|0
    • 5d

That really depends on the prenup, how long you have been together, why is it happening and who initiated it. If the guy is very wealthy he can afford an iron clad prenup and you won't get much. Without a prenup women can get half of everything and huge alimony payments.

• 4d

@nathanp97 that’s interesting.

• Nope. If I ever get married, I'll be getting a prenup. Him wanting one too would be great and make things easier.

3|1
    0|0
  • Honestly it would depend on why they wanted one in the first place. I can understand why having one would be important for some relationships, but I think it's mostly unnecessary.

1|0
    0|0
  • No, I wouldn't. It's okay to be careful and not fully trust anyone. We all know things and people can change in a sec. It's better to be safe.

2|1
    0|0
  • Yes because that means he doesn’t trust me. If he doesn’t trust me, then we shouldn’t be together, and there’s no way in hell we’re getting married if there’s no trust.

2|0
    0|1
  • He's already planning for divorce and he doesn't trust me

3|0
    0|0
  • I'm poor and I want a prenup just to ensure I leave with a home and running vehicle.

1|1
    0|3
  • Nope. Pre-nups are sensible.

2|0
    1|0
  • I would never sign a prenup

3|0
    0|1
  • Depends on the condition of the contract.

2|0
    0|0
  • Nope, I see it as them protecting their money.

1|0
    0|0
  • If you don't sign a prenup, you're an idiot.

1|4
    3|0

Recommended myTakes