Is being critical of Israel anti-Semitism?

A dude named mark lemont hill was fired by CNN for criticism of Israel and support of free Palestine at the UN. You know cause it is "anti Semitic".
  • Yes
  • No
  • Other
    Vote C

311

Most Helpful Girl

• No, it is not anti-semitic. It is criticism of a country and its regime, not its people or religion. Huge differences.

Most Helpful Guys

• No. To suggest so is crazy talk. We criticize all kinds of countries... Russia, China, Saudi Arabia, Mexico, North Korea... why should Israel get a free pass?
    When Israel is being criticized, it is usually the Israeli government that is being criticized, not the normal people. In other words: the criticism is purely political. It is not motivated by any religious or ethnic prejudices.

Unfortunately, it is a fact that the Israeli government with Netanyahu as its Prime Minister is a complete disaster - not just for Palestinians but for Israelis themselves too. On the EIU's annual Democracy Index, Israel is ranked 31st and rated as a "flawed democracy". Netanyahu and his cronies are far-right nationalists and lunatics. Meanwhile, the occupation of Palestinian lands is a clear violation of international law. The Israeli government treats Palestinians in the settlements regions as second-class citizens.
    None of these statements have anything to do with antisemitism. They would also be true if Israel was a christian or a muslim or a buddhist country.

• “From the river to the sea Palestine shall be free” is a known Hamas saying calling for the genocide or expulsion of the Jewish people.

• @ladsin
      Fair point. I do not agree with this "proposition".

• Yeah, and that’s the phrase that the CNN commentator made which drummed up all this controversy and eventually lead to his firing. CNN hosts pretty anti-Israel commentators all the time (I don’t know enough about the conflict to have any real opinion) but this was seen as crossing the line.

• Bloody hell. How can one interpretate what he said so incorrectly?

The guy, Mark Lamont Hill, specifically said "free Palestine from the river to the sea".

From the river to the sea implies from the Jordan River, to the Mediterranean. Exactly the area where Israel is.

Coincidentally, 'from the river to the sea' is also the lingo that Palestinians use when they aim for their desire for Israel to be wiped from the map and replaced by a Palestinian state.

A Palestinian from the river to the sea essentially means the destruction from Israel. And why? He says it's 'justice'.

Anti-zionism IS anti-Semitism. It's being against the very right of Jews to have some self-determination.

So yes, if you're being for the destruction and replacement of Israel by a Palestinian state, then I wager you can be called anti-Semitic.

That's no normal criticism. Arguing it's mere criticism is a vile distortion of reality.

• Why are there so many Jews against Zionism then if its so antisemitic?

• @esotericstoey

Alright. So you're essentially saying that Israel putting their own interests over Palestinian interests is extreme far-right.

Is not signing the Marrakech agreement due to the unwillingness to want immigrants here extreme far-right? Is wanting to not go along with EU demands in Brexit negotiations extreme far-right?

Putting national interests over interests of another group is a really common thing. You might recognize it from the simple principle of national sovereignty, control over immigration, being for national security and more and more.

• @tartaarsaus Well the further left we pull the more that things like national sovereignty will seem like extreme right wing. Only few European populist parties like AfD in Germany and Lega Nord in Italy have actual political power and they are regarded as the NSDAP 2.0 in many news outlets.