Do you want open borders for your country?

• Yes
  • No
  • It depends
    Vote C
  • I don’t care
    Vote D

1343

Most Helpful Girls

• Borders and/or demarcation lines distinguish a sovereign state's territory apart from foreign domains; tolerating 'open borders' does not seem to recognize the authority of immigration laws, which ought to facilitate and legitimize both immigration and emigration alike.

I would not want to witness my country renouncing its control over its own territorial boundaries.

• In Australia I think it's getting to the point where we have too many people, Asian family's are buying all our houses and such. Not that I'm racist and where they are coming from is terrible but we are running out of room

Most Helpful Guys

• Anyone who wants "open borders" essentially wants OTHER PEOPLE to accept any outsider, with any morals, values, or beliefs, onto those other people's property and receiving other people's labors.

So, I say, "show us all how it's done."

Take the locks off of your doors, leave the keys in your unlocked car, and put up a big sign that says "everyone is welcome here" on your front lawn. Let whomever shows up sleep on your couch, browse through your refrigerator, change your TV channel, drive your car, and wear your clothes. Oh, and you'd better add them to your healthcare while you're at it.

Someone who does all that and still advocates open borders is someone I can respect. If you aren't willing to do that, then you have no business telling OTHER people that THEY should.

• The only conceivable way open borders can ever work is if it's the border between two culturally similar countries, like Russian and Belarus, USA and Canada, or my own Latvia and Lithuania. It is entirely because of the Schengen area that Estonians come across the border to buy alcohol here or why we cross the border into Lithuania to buy their cheaper goods.
    The Baltic sates are so simiral that Langauge and some minor nuances in traditions are about the only differences between us, which leads to almost none if no conflict of cultural origin. The US and Canada only differ with accents pretty much so the differences would be even smaller. In both cases, and in the case of most of Europe, the core ideals of a civilization remain.
    But south and East of the Mediterranean and Black seas is a different case. Not only do the languages and customs differ, but the wholesale values of a civilization also do as well. They're too alien to be allowed to come here unchecked.