I am bidding on Ivory figures on local auction, it is pre 1960 legal Ivory, but would you bid on Ivory with elephants endangered?

Would you?
Ivory Figures?
Ivory Figures?
I won Ivory Pipe and pipe with Ivory inside last week. Legal pre ban?
I won Ivory Pipe and pipe with Ivory inside last week. Legal pre ban?
Updates:
3d
I believe the figures are two Ivory and five are yak bone.
3d
I have close to 100 Ivory Pieces , including Netsuke, Jewelry, and Figures. I also have museum quality Cross with Ivory Jesus , would date back to 1800s, Value somewhere in $25,000 to $35,000.

There are 3 types of Ivory: Black Ivory , which is Ivory stained black, very rare I have only had a chance to bid on three pieces and I won one. There is legal Ivory which is pre 1967, and New Ivory , it is illegal to trade and is virgin white.

UV light makes Ivory brittle , so keep out of UV light.

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 9

• I wouldn't bid on those particular pieces as they aren't my taste. But I also can't tell anyone not to bid on antique ivory pieces, as my piano has ivory keys. So place your bid.

0|1
    0|0
    • 3d

First female to agree. Yes, piano keys were made from Ivory, I look for removed keys to buy all the time. Also, Cue Balls were made from Ivory at one point. I bet you young whipper snappers didn't know that?

• 2d

I knew that about cue balls/billiard balls already :)

• 2d

You are up on it then

• And how can you prove that they are actually legal ivory vs. illegal ivory from some poor elephant that poachers killed is my question? Anyone can fake a certificate of authenticity.

0|0
    0|0
    • 3d

They are from a guy's estate , he was in Nam vet , so he got these from 1959 to 1973 , not much elephant hunting during the war. Yak bone is legal anytime.

• I find Netsuke very interesting, specially ones which have a tale about them.

0|1
    0|0
  • Sorry, but I'm against Ivory. So, no I wouldn't. :/

0|1
    0|0
  • 100% not those animals are dying I have actually completely boycotted ivory products because of this

0|0
    0|0
    • 3d

I am against Poachers too, but legal is legal. I was against the sale they had with all funds going to the preservation of Elephants. I say the same thing you do, that it will encourage more killing. Burning finds is the way to go. The poachers bury the illegal Ivory in the ground until they can smuggle it out.

• 3d

yes legal is legal but buying legal products will want them to make more of that products and I am glad they donate to that organization but I am still sticking with my answer

• Nope, not my thing sorry.

0|2
    0|0
    • 3d

Well like fur, most people do stay away , at least guilty Americans anyway , however, a serious collector will pay for legal Ivory.

• 3d

Thats your own thing and its not mine, thats all. Good luck with what you do, its your personal stuff if you are into it, then let it be.

• No offense, but I am against Ivory. I love elephants and wouldn't want apart of that.

0|0
    0|0
    • 3d

I dont see anything wrong with pre 1967 Ivory. The elephant was killed legally then when there were a bunch of them.

• No. The high prices of ivory encourages poachers.

0|1
    0|1
    • 3d

If all the elephants die and go extinct , should Ivory be legal then.

• Show All
    • 3d

There are other endangered animals. If we make the bones and hides of endangered and extinct animals valuable we only encourage poachers.

• 3d

There is only value with demand. I don't know if all endangered animals are in demand for their hides. Take beavers, no one wants their hides anymore.

• No I'm against ivory

0|0
    0|1

What Guys Said 12

• Yes, if I had the money at the moment I totally would especially the pipe. I mean it is legal, and you are not going to bring an elephant back to life by not buying it.

0|2
    1|0
    • 3d

pipe is worth close to $400 to $600 I would guess

• 3d

Sounds about right to me I was sitting here thinking about trying to come up with 450 - 550 and decided I would rather keep saving for a better car instead.

• 3d

the Ivory figures would run $600 to $1200 each, yak bone would be $25 to $75

• These are items that are old and the financial gain for anyone involved in the killing of that or "those elephants" would have completed many decades ago. I can imagine it being viewed as a memorial item by some people.
    I have an English client who's in his 80's who has a baby elephant leg as a stool sitting near his front entrance that was from his childhood in Africa. I see it and i just can't understand how that's decorative? I find it disturbing when i see it.
    If ivory was my memorial art thing, I'd maybe bid on it with the knowledge that my purchase does in no way effect the black market value of ivory today. If it did, then no no no... that would be a horrible thing to do just for a material i don't need.

1|1
    0|0
    • 3d

Yes, when legal , they made all kinds of things from Elephants. I would imagine there are elephant heads on walls. The people that hunted elephants pre 1967 are all dead I would imagine.

• Sure you can't bring the elephant back so it so throwing it away won't solve anything

0|2
    0|0
  • Hey looking here

Another idiot who supports killing endangered species

What the heck is wrong with you?

0|0
    0|1
  • Only interesting in what black sail show like this
    I am bidding on Ivory figures on local auction, it is pre 1960 legal Ivory, but would you bid on Ivory with elephants endangered?

0|0
    0|0
  • Buying them doesn't change the fact that they are endangered

0|2
    0|0
  • No. I would not. Every purchase of Ivory drives the market for it. Same thing with Rhino horns

1|0
    0|0
    • 3d

Are those what your bidding on that's in the picture? Why would you want those anyway? They're stupid, and look like something a girl would have.

• Show All
    • 2d

Again legal Ivory has nothing to do with New Ivory

• 2d

Legal doesn't mean ethical. It's sad an elephant had to die in order for someone to make this crap, regardless of the year.

When elephants are extinct, maybe this stuff will be worth lots of money! Your already proud of how much you think your stuff is worth. You have something to be excited about. I wouldn't pay $5 for any of that

• I would 100% bid on ivory dildos made in the ancient roman empire.

0|0
    1|0
    • 3d

The Japanese made erotic Ivory pieces depicting sex and male body parts. They are very popular. Most people with Ivory , have those.

• Yes because that elephant is long dead so it doesn't matter, as long as its not new ivory then its fine.

0|0
    0|0
    • 3d

That is another thing, you find a dead elephant, you can't legally harvest his tusks as of now.

• 23h

Yeah, that's because that would open the door to killing the animal and then claiming you found it that way, however this elephant is long since dead its ivory long since used so its a different context and it shouldn't really matter at this point. If its over fifty years ago, I don't think you have to worry about any new elephant or rhino being killed to acquire it.

• Yes.

0|1
    1|0
  • Go for it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sure they where obtained legally

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes