What to do when I can't make myself feel happy?

I was diagnosed with clinical depression about a month ago after events that I'm sure you're aware of considering how much I vented on here. I struggle to feel happy and find enjoyment in things. Frustration also plagues me right now. I got a job, but last Tuesday, I accidentally burned my right tricep on the oven at work when I was taking out the trash and I bumped it trying to get my hands under the can. It's second degree and I've been treating it since. I'm still unable to work out or go to the gym, which makes me very angry, I also haven't recieved my paycheck. I've worked extremely hard and feel that I've more than earned the money, but my boss told me that at the very best, it'll come next Friday, probably not considering she said she'd pay me today and didn't. So I still have no money that I can use for new experiences and try new things that might make me happy. I've tried starting things with new people, but everyone I vibe with is either in a relationship or married, which increases my frustration. What can I do?What to do when I can't make myself feel happy?

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 2

• I have bipolar, and I take meds for it. Medicine will help a lot with balancing you out, trust me. I went from attempting suicide to being okay. When I need a quick coping mechanism now for just being generally sad then I love praying, especially the Rosary. I go from sobbing and shaking to stable and smiling in less than 10 minutes with it. If you're not religious you could try making a mantra or other type of meditation, just something to ground yourself and focus on

1|1
    0|0
    • 5d

Really? Did you seriously advise him to take meds? These drugs have a lot of side effects and should only be a measure of the last resort when therapy or other options don't work

• Meditation, Yoga, go shoot some game (deer), message me on here?

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 8

• Ouch! How's the arm now? And have your colleagues been paid… in full yet? With next Friday (14 December 2018) being the middle of the month, chances of your payment being among those your manager will make, if she's able to manage the cash flow correctly. When was the last time she paid you and how much does she owe you now?

What do you want to do in life? What activities give you a sense of fulfillment? Perhaps, doing that more will help.

Likewise, not everything is acquired by direct, conscious pursuit (like trying to pass a history semester-final exam). Some are "accidentally"/coincidentally acquired as a natural consequences by unconscious, round-about manner (like inadvertently impressing an interesting, just-met history-buff when you yourself have been a fellow history-fanatic years before the thought of meeting this person came to mind). So, sometimes joy is found not by seeking it directly for yourself, but by seeking it for someone else (or doing something different altogether).

0|0
    0|0
    • 4d

I want to be successful, and nothing makes me feel fulfilled and I'm quickly enjoying the hobbies I have less and less.

• Show All
    • 4d

I don't go to college anymore because I hate school and don't have a passion

• 4d

You can still make good money fro blue-collar jobs.
      www.forbes.com/.../#7b7c738a3311
      www.forbes.com/.../#765c7785664a
      www.salary.com/.../

Do any of these positions seem interesting to you?

• My suggestion would be to work on some skill, like a language or drawing. Then you'll feel like you're doing something productive and you'll have to work hard, so when you eventually get good you'll feel great about yourself. Working towards goals always helps.

0|1
    0|0
  • Don't seek happiness.

Happiness is like an orgasm; if you think about it too much it goes away. Keep busy and aim to make someone else happy and you might find you get some as a side effect. We didn't evolve to be constantly content. Contented homo erectus got eaten before passing on their genes.

0|1
    0|0
  • Try an SSRI with "cognitive behavioral therapy". Call 1-800-A-FAMILY for a counselor referral in your area. Some of them will offer reduced rates or even pro bono sessions. Paydays are typically paid in arrears, so that's not much of a surprise.

0|0
    0|0
  • Wow depression isn't easy I myself suffer bipolar disorder and I usually never feel happy I have times where I feel normal but usually go back to a low mood after a few days

0|0
    0|0
  • This is just my opinion. Try to do some charities. Maybe you will see new things. Some people can feel happy by making others happy.

0|1
    0|0
  • Listen to Tony Robbins. Go to date with destiny

0|0
    0|0
  • There is no point being frustrated or angry, it won't change a thing. Read the book 'Power of Now' by Ekhart Tolle. What you need to learn is surrender (not the usual definition of waving the white flag), and what would benefit you a lot is the state of No Mind / Mushin. Learning how to live fully in the now will also help. In other words, pretty much everything contained and explored in that book.

0|0
    0|1

Recommended myTakes