Teacher evacuates classroom because of MAGA hat, your thoughts?

2575

What Girls Said 25

• I think its ridiculous to make a big deal over a hat, call a student an asshole, and then evacuate an entire class room for one kid. Unfortunately the teacher is right that wearing the hat is against school rules so as ridiculous as it is he should have followed the rules. My question is why the teacher didn't just get the principal to remove the kid instead of running away? I means who's in charge?

• 3d

It wasn’t the hat but the fact that it’s a MAGA hat.

• 3d

I watched it and I'm a xsznot disagreeing that it was because people found the hat offensive. But because the rules are no hats the rules work in the teachers favor.

• 3d

@PoliceLivesMatter Yes, the FEMALE STUDENT made the "racist" remark, but the teacher didn't.

There is no evidence the teacher targeted the student on his political beliefs. He just has (or the school has) a policy where students can't wear hats in class.

• Man baby scared of a hat lmaooooo! In all seriousness though this is almost Orwellian, the thought of people in positions of power (like this teacher) imposing their opinions on everyone at the threat of punishment...

• You shouldn’t wear a hat in class period, its bad manners to keep one on indoors

• 3d

If it was just about that, then it would be a non issue, but if you watched the video and hear what the teacher has said, to me implies that it’s more about the fact that it’s a MAGA hat rather than just a hat. I assume the teacher doesn’t like what the hat stands for and thinks it is provocative. It’s not about just wearing a hat indoors

• 3d

Yea u are right.. I don't go to a real school anymore (bc i am homeschooled) but when i was going to school, kids had to take their hat off if they had one on. I don't know maybe things changed

• 3d

@Yourlegaladdiction Well you're not going to find argument from me that the media is structurally broken in many ways and that obscurantism runs rampant in sectors of every political aisle. If you read enough Noam Chomsky you begin to understand the ways American
      and private media in particular is used to sow seeds of discord and deception. However, that doesn't discount literature and film as media. The media is like I said, an amorphous terminology. You really can't discount something because of how other media interacts with people in negative, stupid ways. I think every form of art is just another manifestation of it.

As to the political stuff, I think it's definitely a positive virtue to want more information. However I'd say also that's a motivation that can be disingenuously adopted by many people and parties. I agree with you though, people should always thirst for more and more diverse information.

• "The color pink isn't racist" 😂 The ignorance of some people. I do NOT support Trump or his views and I do NOT own one of these jays but its pretty sad to label someone as racist because they choose to wear a hat 😂 people just get offended by everything nowadays, dont they?

• How this should have been handled: wearing of hats indoors is against school rules, take it off. If student refuses to comply, he leaves the class - with the assistance of the SRO if necessary. Let the principal or dean sort it out with the parents.

• 3d

Student set him up and Apparently, the teacher is too nice to the student that he didn't want to get the principal or the security involved which would punish the student further with detention or in school suspension or else. He stated he was bending the rules for the student to keep him from being in trouble. And it back fired on the teacher.

• 2d

@Kemil_Zhoki who is stupid enough to file a lawsuit over wearing a hat in school?

• 2d

Enforcement of a school rule or policy does not give the student any standing to sue if he refuses to comply. The inmates do not run the asylum.

• I’m on both sides. It shouldn’t matter politics. Nobody should hate you or treat you different because of beliefs. But there is probably a rule about hats which is very stupid. But he did call him a Butt whole which is very rude and wrong. So I’m half and half on the situation.

• I am sorry to say, this young man is wrong.
    If you listen from the beginning, there is a back&forth between the two. The teacher is trying to explain the reason for & conforming to established rules. At around 1:12 mark, the teacher states that there is a clearly written rule about hats not being worn in school. At that point, when he points that out, the student's refusal to remove it puts him in the wrong.
    The school is well within it's right to set such a rule. Those that disagree I would encourage you to check with your local school district. My aunt who works at a public high school confirmed that they have such a rule in place as well.
    Nothing after the teacher stating the school policy matters. Regardless of the message on the hat, be it political, a sports team, etc the school policy is the determining factor.

• 3d

Right...

I'm literally amazed at how people can be so blinded by video propaganda. At no point in this video does the teacher EVER insinuate that he is discriminating a student based on his political beliefs.

• 2d

@Other_Tommy_Wiseau I appreciate the compliment my dude!

• *sigh* this is what america has come to? Freaking out over a hat?

• I think this is silly, I am neither a democrat or republican or a fan of Trump but that's just immature to leave the room because of a hat.

• 2d

Exactly, and he called the student an “asshole.” I mean seriously, all because of a hat? No, it was what the hat represented most likely.

• 2d

Most likely but as a teacher, he should have maintained a professional attitude towards it.

• They're both being ridiculous. Don't wear the hat and the teacher should just have gotten the security involved.

• 2d

Me: Remove your hat
      Student: Why?
      Me: It's a posted rule. Remove your hat?
      Student: Why is it a rule.
      Me: *Remove your hat or I will*
      Student: But...
      Me: REMOVE YOUR HAT!

Any further resistance will be met with me removing the student's hat (which, I am aware, is a violation... but it violates stupid legislation to begin with and thus far, in 21 years of my teaching, every parent has backed me up on) or having the student removed (which I do not prefer to do, as it abdicates some of my authority to someone else).

I am not a president or prime minister in my class. I am emperor. My rules and policies are not open to debate, and only I interpret them. There is no legislative body. I am absolute monarch. I *am* the state (to borrow King Louis' phrase).

But you know something? My students and their parents love me for it. I'm not kidding. I'm not a tyrant. I am friendly, but not their friend. But I do not debate. When I say do this, it will get done. And as I've said, in 21 years...

• 2d

Yes, that's a fear many of us have.

I know teachers who will not hug students, EVEN IF THE STUDENT INITIATES THE HUG, for fear of legal repercussions.

• 2d

On the one occasion I went to the hospital, on my return to work I was literally slammed against the wall from an onslaught of hugs. Good thing the wall was there, or I'm sure I would have been knocked to the ground. I called it the hugalanche!

How could I tell them to stop? Why would anyone even want a class environment where a teacher must order students to stop hugging?

Crazy shit litigation going on, and I'm here to tell ya!

• Evacuation? Dress code rules aside, this is an overreaction.
    Oh no, it's a MAGA hat! As bad as an active shooter in the school! Call the SWAT team!

• why is he wearing that hat while holding that book. that book is about slavery and operation... seems like the kid wanted a reaction

• 2d

oppression***

• 2d

@Matts18 yeah pretty much. its annoying... typical high school kid move haha

• 2d

i had a friend like this back in high school... very annoying lol

• I think the teacher felt overworked and needed a couple to recuperate.

• Everybody in America knows that hats are not to be worn in classes.

• 3d

I didn't

• 3d

@single68

• Crazy liberals for you

• Why the fuck would you evacuate a classroom over a hat,,,

• That's what MAGA means? Just confiscate the hat if necessary.

• I think whats happening in the USA isn't that different to whats happening here in the UK, between "left" and "right" opinions. You have a group off people on the left so angry with anyone taking a stance on the right they are looking for anyone to blame or demonize, they can't understand or accept that people voted the way they did. On the right you have a group that have basically no compassion for the left and whither Trump or Brexit are ploughing ahead regardless, things are very polarized and there is no centre ground. We just need to wait and let things calm down, it will get worse before it gets better.

• 3d

Why do you say the right has no compassion for people on the left? The right gives more money and time to charity. This is a measurable fact.

• 2d

Studies have been done on this for decades and they all say Conservatives give more to charity than Liberals. The reason most often cited is that Conservatives are more Christian and donate through their congregation.

• 2d

@Servus09 I can see your link in using deduction but you would need to do a far wider more comprehensive poll to come to that conclusion. Including individuals and institutions.

• My thoughts are America is cray lol

• she should be fired for stupidity

• Wow that's too much and going wayyyyy too far

• This just funny as shit 😂😂 Both the teacher and the student are being extremely dramatic 🤦🏽‍♀️😂

• No hats are allowed in classes and does not matter what type it is. Just a set up by the idiot kid because it is a maga hat. The kid is just trying to get attention. He probably does not even care about trump at all. hahaha

• 3d

Did you not hear what the teacher said? He admitted the rule about hats is not enforced, but in situations where he disagrees with the politics of someone the rule can be selectively applied.

• 3d

@Servus09 Ya the teacher fell for the trick by the kid. However, the kid is stall at fault for not taking it off when asked. He still could have put it on his desk. A student is allowed to express his/her opinion in class expect when it disrupts the environment or is offensive.

• 2d

I would agree that.

• The hat simply represents the jerk under it! Plain & simple. Anyone who wears the MAGA hat is a threat to equality, liberty & and any form of God given common sense.

• 3d

I don't like Trump, but you're full of shit.

Trump can't threaten equality or liberty. Trump is just the president. The President does not HAVE that sort of power.

Didn't they teach you this in school?

• 2d

Lol “fuck up” in parenthesis lmao

• 2d

Maybe putting it in parenthesis makes it not hate speech.

• 🙄😒😩😫😣😖😖😖😖😖😖😖😖
    High school.

What Guys Said 75

• They are both in the wrong. I mean if there is a rule about wearing hates in school then he's breaking rules. So regardless of whether his hat is political or not, he's in the wrong.
    However, it is still very clear that both the teacher and other students are less focussed on the hat and more focussed on the political ideology that it represents. In particular the female who says that "pink isn't racist" is clearly very anti-Trump and is implying that Trump is racist.

• 3d

I’m glad you see that the students and teacher are less focused on the hat and more on the political meaning behind it. Some on this post don’t see that and think the teacher was just on him (student) strictly because of the hat. I think contextually, you can arrive at an assumption that it was more than just the hat.

• 3d

Yeah I mean it's pretty obvious from the comments and from the long rant by the teacher that the focus is what the hat says rather than the fact that it's a hat. I think people are just so defensive of their "side" that they can't even see that there is clearly a political issue going on in this video.

• Politics is encouraged in public schools if it leans to the left. Politics is punished in high schools if it leans to the right. That is the agenda of the left.

• 2d

Most high schools I've taught in, or interned in haven't pushed an agenda.

If anything, since I live in a very conservative area of Ohio, I see more politics being pushed to the right in high schools.

• 2d

The universities where I live lean to the right too.

Location means more than anything else. I'm sure universities on the west coast, and other liberal areas are... liberal. And most universities in conservative areas are conservative.

In other words, Notre Dame State University is probably more conservative than the University of California-Los Angeles Campus.

• 2d

@EnglishArtsteacher Yes, but it was the University of Tennessee that had the hullabaloo about using gender non-specific pronouns.

• Scary stuff.

• The title of this video, and this post is extremely misleading, and Frank Sharp (the person filming this video) uploaded this to clearly push an agenda.

From 1:16-1:20 in the video, the teacher explicitly states that the rules are there are no hats to be worn in school. This has nothing to do with the fact the student is wearing a "Make America Great Again" hat. This has nothing to do with the fact whether the student supports Donald Trump for president, or not. It's simply a rule in his class. If it's a school-wide rule, it's our job as teachers to follow school rules. If it's his classroom rule... it's still HIS classroom.

I teach at a high school, and we have a very strict uniform policy, which includes no hats, and hoods as well. If I don't follow the rule, I can get a written referral from administration. It seems silly to spend so much time worrying about a hat, but it's probably the job of the teacher to do as such. Trust me, it's a major pain to follow silly rules, and I wish I didn't have to do as such.

I will agree it's a bit absurd to evacuate a classroom over a hat, and the teacher probably should have sent him to the office, or followed through with a school-based punishment procedure, but there is no evidence the teacher was outraged over the "MAGA" slogan, or the students' views in general.

• 3d

Contextually, it seemed obvious to me that it simply wasn’t about the hat itself but the contents of the hat and what it is made out to mean by various mediums (racist, sexist, etc.). The teacher also calling the student an “asshole” towards the summation of the video, seemed drastically unwarranted simply because he was wearing a hat and reasoning why he shouldn’t be asked to take it off and why the class shouldn’t leave because 1 man is wearing a red hat... It’s an overreaction to something fairly simple, which means to me that it wasn’t just the hat itself but something else.

• 3d

The student was calm and reasoned out why he shouldn’t take the hat off, and the teacher called him an “asshole” and evacuated an entire class because one student didn’t take his hat off. Now, I’ve NEVER seen this while I was in middle school or high school, and my guess is, if it wasn’t that specific MAGA hat, the teacher might’ve just written him a slip, told him to meet him after class, etc. Something more professional and less drastic. The reaction by the professor seemed over the top for just a hat. Also, the teacher said the student was trying to “provoke” people with the hat, so that right there is acknowledging that it’s more than just wearing a random hat and that the teacher himself knows the informal meaning of the MAGA hat for some. He thinks it’s provocative, but the student was calm as cucumbers

• 3d

It's possible the teacher could have been subtly making this about the contents on the hat, but without proof, it's just speculation.

• My biggest problem with the teacher is that his problem wasn't that he was wearing a hat, but it's because others find the hat offensive.

If it were only about enforcing the no-hat indoors, then I would agree, he should take it off, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

The kid posed the question, what if the hat was a religious symbol, which is disingenuous. I agree he should take it off, but only in enforcement of the no-hats indoors rule, not because it makes others uncomfortable.

People often forget how the victims guaranteed others who disagree with them the right to express themselves freely.

• 3d

But the speculations on the nature of the incident don't really matter right? The hat can't be there, it's not a religious symbol.

Still, the teachers motives are dickish for sure.

You know when I am at work and somebody has the excuse to undercut their performance, I say "fine" I don't have to worry about the motives, even though I know that the motives are bad. It's still a permissable excuse that takes presidence. Like, someone asks you to do their job, just to be a dick, but it's authorized fairly by the boss than whatever, do you job. The guys still a dick though.

• Hats are not allowed in school, and hence he should have taken it off. But, clearly, the issue the professor had here was not with the hat, but with the message itself.
    The professor was inconsistent with his arguments. He was first saying there's a rule against hats, then saying the hat makes people uncomfortable and it's offensive. A hat, the object itself, is not offensive to anyone, only a message displayed on the hat can be offensive, which is what the professor was complaining about while trying to mask it as an issue with the object.

The student clearly was trying to make a point, trying to point out the double standard and how tolerance doesn't apply to everyone.

The teacher even resorted to insulting the student, which is one thing a teacher NEVER should do.

The teacher was clearly in the wrong here (both were, but the teacher came out "losing"), and it's ridiculous and sad that he took the class somewhere else because of this.

It doesn't matter what political views you have, it's undeniable the teacher handled this completely wrong.

• This is literally the one of the most stupid things I have ever seen. Also, any school I have ever heard of has a no hat policy anyways. I'm not a democrat or a republican. In my opinion both sides are just fucking stupid asses.

• I mean hats are scary, sometimes you just gotta accept you're not really an adult, you have no authority over the room, and you just gotta run away lol

• I feel nothing but disdain towards the president, but I have to admit its pretty badass to get a whole room so butthurt they leave. I’d have loved to have done that in some of my classes growing up.

• As much as I can't stand Trump, evacuating a classroom because of some stupid hat is just pure stupidity. Seriously people it's a piece of attire used for political propaganda the same way every political party uses propaganda.

I would really like to see what his reaction would be to a Soviet or Nazi flag lmao

• I'm going to get @princessfromjupiter one of those hats for Christmas.

• bro, just take your hat off. It's not that hard. We had rules like this at my high school too. We can't walk around with political shit on our clothes just like we can't walk around with gang-affiliated material on our clothes. We couldn't walk around with no pants on either. If this trumptard can't follow the rules then I don't blame the teacher for enforcing them.

• Ya it’s high school. Everyone was kinda smiling and having fun. The kid was. He felt a Little rebellious. he got the teacher to move the students. That’s a win for him. He
    Will laugh about it and high five his buds during lunch break. For sure

The teacher was calm respectful

I miss high school 😂

• i always hate these stupid videos

the rules clearly state no hats in class... that way in most districts. he clearly explained it. they left because he wasn't listening and not including him... i just don't get why he wasn't reported to the principle. nothing more. nothing less. i don't get why people make a big deal of these dumb videos other than to just get a reaction from people... rhetorically speaking

• 3d

• 3d

cool... this is honestly more than i cared to participate. regardless of all this, my point is the kid is an asshat

• 3d

He could be, yes.

• My opinion is that this didn’t actually happen, and was staged to further divide the country along political lines. If it did happen, my opinion is that this teacher has no right to be so far up their own butt as to think they’ll get away with such a blatant abuse of their power.

• I don't know what was said between them before the video started but an easy way to diffuse this is to just tell the student no hats are to be worn in the classroom and to please take it off.
    It's a sign of respect to take your hat off when you go inside.

I suspect the political message of the hat was given attention to. That was a mistake on behalf of the teacher.

• This idiot teacher is playing right into the hands of the student, who *WANTS* him to make a stink and start explaining his reasons so he can debate him. Total waste of time.

• The teacher is an hysterical leftard imbecile.
    Fire the teacher and all teachers who bring their personal politics into a classroom.

• Look up free speech reform at Berkeley.
    Their is now a precedent for enforcing free speech in schools. Now all we have to do is perform a lawsuit against all the University libtards invalidateing are constitutional right to free speech.

• You gotta be shittin' me! It's a hat. He's not committing a crime, no-one came to any harm because of it. That teacher is basically a stupid, over-indulged wussy, soy-boy snowflake.

Simples...

• considering most of the school shooters lately had maga hats (though they weren't wearing them at the time), the response might have been a little over the top, but probably in the right direction.

• 3d

Well, most school shooters are

Male
      Caucasian
      Withdrawn (pulls back from school activities)
      Isolated or rejected from peers
      Living in a rural community
      Have easy access to weapons
      Bullied repeatedly from a young age (there is a point when the bullied child flips roles and becomes the bully)
      From a troubled home

• 3d

It's been going on for a while... I need to reinstall my operating system, which I intend to do anyway. Didn't want to bother fixing it until then..

• I could understand why wearing any political clothes would against a dress code. But acting like a hat is a weapon is outrageous.

• Scared liberal cunt of a teacher. I pray he loses his job and the ability to support a family of like minded hate filled a holes

• I got a few issues. shame on the kid for baiting the teacher into an argument and shame on the teacher for taking the bait. also I think the term evacuated is far to strong of a word for what happened. he moved class, he didn't evacuate anything

• Anybody stupid enough to put their kids through public school deserves to have their kids brainwashed by morons.

No education is better than miseducation.

• Where I come from, this kind of behavior would get you expelled.
    I'm amazed that US schools tolerate this level of insolence from their students.

• I mean it could have been blank and the teacher would have said the same thing "It's agains dress code to wear a hat". I agree with the teacher. I don't care that its a political hat. Using that as an excuse to break the rules is stupid.

• Lol the idiotic left in action... these people are why Trump won and will win again...

• Just another far leftist in the school system being hyperbolic, dramatic, and illogical... basically adhering to the 'social justice' religion.

Notice, the only one listening to the other is the MAGA hat wearer. The teacher just talks over him. Doesn't consider any argument. Honestly if the teacher wasn't offended and stuck to the bottom line of "hats in general are not allowed in class" I would side with him (teacher)... but he allowed it to be about more than just the basic rules. More... as in if it was a blue "It was her turn" hat, that'd be acceptable. ... for that the teacher is in the wrong in my eyes.

• Well it seems like the teacher is more angry about him violating the rule of not wearing a hat in general. The teacher doesn't seem to be criticizing his beliefs.

• Show more from Guys
    45