Do you agree that the federal legal age for drinking should be lowered to 18?

If you're old enough to die for your country, you should be old enough to have a beer legally.
  • Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 1

What Guys Said 14

• Absolutely. For wine and beer it should be 16, like here in Switzerland or in Germany or in Austria.

0|0
    0|0
  • There is no federal age for drinking so I don't see how it can be lowered.

States can do what they want though. I'm somewhat neutral about the age. But if I had to pick one or the other, I'd leave it at 21.

0|0
    0|0
    • 4d

What about the National Minimum Drinking Act?

• Show All
    • 4d

@LegateLanius

That's not a federal drinking age though. Plus I think most states had already raised it, or were about to. MADD was behind all of that, and put pressure on all levels of government.

The feds often use financial threats like that to get states to do things the feds can't or won't do themselves. Another good example of this was when the speed limit was reduced to 55 in all 50 states (I think). But there was not actually a federal speed limit.

For some reason, highway funds are often a target for withholding federal funds. Personally I think it should be illegal for the feds to do this.

If the National Minimum Drinking Age was abolished, most likely every state would still leave it at 21 because there would be way too much pressure against them if they lowered it. MADD is a hell of a strong lobby.

• 4d

I stand corrected. Thank you.

• I might also add that I have relatives much, much older than I who actually believed in #pizzagate. Why are young people put on blast for things they believe when you have older people believing stuff like this?

I'd be willing to wager, and I didn't really wanna go here, that white nationalism, and general bigotry skews more towards the older side than the younger side. So while old folks have wisdom, they also have baggage.

0|0
    0|0
  • sure, but cops on college campuses would need some other source of revenue, so the number of traffic tickets would probably increase by about 3x or so..

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah true, you Americans have a few strange rules, but it might reduce the likely hood of some young people having a dependency on alcohol.

0|0
    0|0
  • Seems to work just fine for the rest of the developed world

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd be just as happy if alcohol wasn't a thing.

0|0
    0|0
  • It is age 18.

0|0
    0|0
  • There is no federal drinking age law.

0|0
    0|0
  • twenty one

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah.

0|0
    0|0
  • The voting age should be 21 for those persons not in the military, the same should apply to drinking for civilians. It doesn't work particularly well in Canada. What do 18 year-olds know anyway (they lack independent life experience away from home).

0|0
    0|1
    • 4d

How does it not work in Canada?

• Show All
    • 3d

Bruh, you are anonymous. I never claimed you were a cis-hetero white male. You could be a biracial trans-man for all I know.

I was building a case for expanding the electorate.

• 3d

@DanoMR98 I can agree with that kind of a comment, with some conditions. Efforts should be made to provide equitable opportunities to various demographics while also providing them an opportunity to be more independent. Since I'm not a politician nor do I have all that much experience currently in how best to approach that kind of an issue, I won't make any concrete suggestions here. That said, I do think there is an underlying victimhood mindset in some parts of the community (e. g., "Black Lives Matter", in the preset, and the "Ku Klux Klan", which is now largely in the past, are organizations I cannot, in good conscious, support). Some of the points you make I think are reasonable, nevertheless. Best of luck...

• Yes and no , depends on the setting, they raised it because of the drunk driving since that’s the start of the driving age but if you’re on base in the armed forces it should be at 18

0|0
    0|0
  • Only those who served in military deserve that privilege. The rest can go to hell.

0|0
    1|1

Recommended myTakes