What would you do if your five year old son stole a cookie from the store and lied about it?

Let's say you have a five year old son. He's normally a really sweet boy but he's very hyper and runs away from you easily. He also takes cookies, or candies without asking first. He will take a candy, open it and lie to your face about it. One time he asked for a candy and you said no, he stole the candy and lied again. if you aren't watching him constantly he will try to run away and gets distracted easily.

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 11

• The boy committed is guilty of multiple counts of theft

His punishment will involve physical discipline, personally apologizing to the store managers, and somehow paying for it back 3x the value of the goods.

1|1
    0|0
    • 4d

feed him chilli powder and soap

• Show All
    • 4d

That's one way of disciplining. Based on the methods used when I was a kid and in raising my sister (who did steal 1x), I'd probably use slapping the back of the stealing hand (# items stolen × 7? = x) times.

As to wetting the bed, warn him of the potential demoting back to baby-level diapers if the bed-wetting becomes a trend.

• 4d

perfect parent and child relationship... stop being so soft

• As much as a whopping may seem like a good answer, I know I have done worse at that age. The kid is young and in his age for exploring. Of course he is going to lie because the consequence is clear. You gotta be strict when teaching acceptable behavior but More importantly you need to explain the situation to him. Just don't smack him up side the head. Lack of Brain cells comprise common sense in the future

1|0
    0|0
  • I'd get smacked on the hand for doing some shit like that. Me personally, maybe I'd do that, but ideally I'd just re-affirm why stealing is wrong and tell them that they don't need to be stealing cookies. If they want a cookie I can buy them a cookie and if I don't want to it's because they don't need one then. If that doesn't work, I'd start revoking privileges.

1|0
    0|0
  • I would take him to the store and he would return it to them. If he ate it then he would work to pay it off.

1|0
    0|0
    • 4d

After he word to pay off the first cookie, he smiles and says could he work to pay for his next cookie

• Show All
    • 4d

How would you feel if you're 20 year old son was gay

• 4d

I dont know

• beat him within an inch of his life then tell him hell is x100 worse or perhaps x187 worse

0|0
    0|0
  • An old fashioned ass whoopin

1|0
    0|0
  • Just talk it out with him

0|0
    0|1
    • 4d

He just says..

Oh, I didn't steal candy

• 4d

Then that's a problem if he lies to my face and keeps it going.

• Take him to the store and force him to confess

0|0
    0|0
  • Tell him not to get caught next time.

0|0
    0|0
  • Confront him about it. Tell him that you know about him stealing and lying. Then discipline him.

He is being a kid. You need to be a parent. Correcting him is part of it. He needs correction on: 1) not stealing; 2) not lying; and 3) following your instructions.

I'm sure that you could start small and then work up. Two-weeks without toys / video games, grounding / not being allowed to be with friends, fixing his favorite dinner food & dessert and then everyone else eats it while he gets a PBJ sandwich... use some creativity.

And if he begs for you to let up or do something else, tell him you're not going to, because you would be rewarding him for unacceptable behavior if you did.

1|0
    0|0
  • Beat his little ass. I'd beat his little ass so hard for the simple fact that he's supposed to be like me. Not like his pathetic excuse for a mother who's always trying to find a way to get over. I'd punch his face until his jaws shook. Then I'd slap his teeth out with the belt buckle.

0|0
    0|0
    • 4d

And what if he started throwing up blood during the beating

• 4d

Would you do the same thing to your 5 year old daughter

• 3d

Good he's supposed to puke! And "no" I wouldn't do my daughter that way. She's just being the average woman..

What Girls Said 5

• Well the issue isn’t stealing with a 5 year old. They are just now learning boundaries, and messing up like this is just an opportunity to learn. it’s a time to sit down and have a basic discussion about right and wrong and about how stealing fits into that dynamic and to define it for him.
    The real issue is the lying and this is the parents fault if it’s a consistent behavior. Every kid’ll try it and some might go through a short phase but if it’s consistent it’s not experimental anymore. You have failed to help them understand that it’s wrong and likely reinforced it by not allowing them to feel any consequences. But you shouldn’t wait for a child to lie to establish a culture of honesty in your household. You should have had discussions about always telling mommy and daddy the truth and mommy and daddy will always be honest with you. Explain that if you don’t tell the truth then people won’t understand what happened and then cannot makes as good decisions. Use simple terms.
    But if you’re going to hit your FIVE year old boy for stealing A COOKIE. You are phsychotic. It’s no different then stealing someone’s pen and lying about it. Wrong, but not deserving of a punch or a spanking so why do it to your child? Because you’re strong enough they can’t fight back?
    That makes you a bully and a tyrant, not a parent and a teacher. Children have to cross lines to know where the lines are, how are they supposed to know otherwise? They don’t have the social conditioning yet. They may not understand what the big difference is between a cookie on the counter at home and one on the counter at the store. It also takes some time for children’s brains to develop enough that they even have the capacity for impulse control.

1|0
    0|0
  • Go back to the store and have him pay for it and apologize for taking it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Pay the money to the stores. Ask him to say "sorry". And give him a punishment for doing such a thing.

0|0
    0|0
  • Make him return the cookie, scold him and give him a time out. Then not allow him to have dessert for about a few days to a week

1|0
    0|1
  • Spank him

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes