Should Clothing Be More Expensive?

Examples on pro and cons:
Pro: Cheap clothing are produced in sweat shops in developing countries where poor people works in poor working conditions and gets a low wage. Some only earns 1$ a day. If people gets better working conditions and wages, clothing would be more expensive.

Cons: Making clothing more expensive would make the gap between rich and poor in industrial/first world countries bigger. The poorest in the countries wouldn't be able to afford as much clothing or as nice looking clothing as the richer one, so it may be "segregation" or bullying because of the fashion pressure. People have to find other solutions on the problem.

So either people in some countries becomes less poor because of clothing getting more expensive and the gap between rich and poor increase another place - or people stays poor in the developing countries and people in the first world can afford much of the same regardless of social class. Nowadays it's difficult to distinguish a poor, a middle-class and a rich person in the Nordic countries. Almost all of them wears the same type of clothing and have phones.

#Dilemma #Clothing #SweatShops #FashionIndustry

Should Clothing Be More Expensive?
  • Yes (Explain Why)
    Vote A
  • No (Explain Why)
    Vote B
  • Other (Explain What & Why)
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Most Helpful Girls

• If clothing was more expensive public nudity would need to be legalized.

Making clothing more expensive would only put money in the pockets of those who sell the clothing and those who command the workers that make the clothing.

5|4
    1|0
  • Yes every one that was part of the production process should get a wage that can cover food, shelter and health insurance. It should be illegal to make people work for 20 cents per hour. Clothing doesn't even need to be much more expensive. The ones earning 90% of the income should just be forced to pay their workers a liveable wage

1|1
    1|0
    • 2d

I'm agree. I think the rich business owners should give them higher wages. Rich factory owners would still be rich although they give them a good wage.

• 2d

These business owners can already afford to pay the workers a livable wage.

But they’re greedy. Even if prices went up, those greedy monsters would still pay their workers the same and just increase their work load to maximize profits.

Most Helpful Guys

• Clothes are already expensive, not because of the cost of the workforce, but because most companies make big margins out of it.
    Look at any big brand, they produce for a very low price, and sell at a high price.
    They could totally pay more their worker, sell at the same price, and still make tons of money.

1|0
    0|1
  • Absolutely.

People all around the world deserve good and healthy working conditions. They deserve being safe at work. This includes the people who make our clothes in Cambodia or Bangladesh.

I don't believe this would make clothes significantly more expensive here in the west. Fair-produced no-name clothes would still be MUCH cheaper than pretentious brand clothes. How do we know this? Well, just look at other products that exist in a "normal" version and a fair-trade version. Let's take chocolate for instance. Max Havelaar chocolate costs maybe 40% more than regular chocolate. So instead of $2 for a bar of chocolate you'll spend $2.80.
    Instead of spending $10 for a t-shirt that was produced by an 8-year old child in a dusty, dangerous factory without emergency exit, you'll spend $14 for a fair-produced t-shirt. If I can give happiness to hundreds of people this way and potentially save lives, I say that's more than worth it.

Some people will say this should happen on a voluntary basis, as it does today. The reality, however, is that it simply does not work. The vast majority of people do not buy fair trade products EVEN IF they can afford them.

I don't buy your inequality argument either. Like I said, fair trade clothes won't be ridiculous expensive. Yes, they will be a little more pricey but they will still be very affordable overall.
    The reality is that most people in our modern consumer culture have TOO MANY clothes. This is true even for most poor people. My call would be for us to focus more on quality than quantity. Buy less clothes, but let's make sure the people who produce them have decent working conditions. After all, we don't want to work at a place where we get sick after a few years and we don't want our children to work in factories. So we should be invested in making sure other people don't suffer from these things either.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 8

• Yes, I think also because many people especially women are incredibly wasteful when it comes to clothes. They'll buy like the same pair of shoes or shirt in like 10 different shades, many times they're so similar like salmon vs peach vs melon color. It's ridiculous and puts a strain on the environment. If it were more expensive, they'd think twice before having closets full of clothes they never wear. As you said, those countries are exploitative as well.

0|0
    0|0
  • Most local clothing manufacturers in western countries went out of buissness simply because clothes can be manufactured so much cheaper abroad and still sold at high prices making companies like Nike a fortune. If you make clothes more expensive to pay foreign workers in China and India higher wages it would be bad for them because it would be more competitive to make clothes domestically in the West again.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think we need to vote with our money, so buying locally made clothes as much as possible or clothes that you know aren't from slave labour. There should be cheap clothes and expensive clothes, so you can choose which to buy, and let the free market do its work

0|0
    1|0
  • Well, the clothing Americans view as cheap is mid rande and expensive in my country. Yes, H&m, Zara and stuff like that is quite expensive. i could only buy Chinese products if you were to make clothing more expensive.
    If you want to fiz something then it's the companies that should pay better. If they weren't so obsessed to make so much profit, those people would have better lives. I am sure they afford to pay better, they just don't do it. The material for 30$ pieve of clothing costs half as much, so if those people make only 1$/ day guess where 14$ go...

0|1
    0|0
  • The cheap fast fashion is expensive in Canada yo! jeans on average cost over $30 dollars now shirts are like $20 if it a blouse basic tee shirts are like $12 they still making money but charging so much.

0|0
    0|0
  • No it's already pricy

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope

0|0
    1|0
  • Heck no.

0|0
    1|0

What Guys Said 12

• You can just buy fabric, sewing manuals and thread and needle to make your own clothes. Its not that hard. Actually in my local city there is a woman who has a sewing shop, she gives workshops how to make clothes, she also sells handmade clothes at affordable prices. Go local, reject the global. Best solution in my opinion.

2|1
    0|0
  • Yes, clothing should be more expensive and most of it should be better quality. And the extra money should be passed on to the workers, not the clothing magnates. You might have a smaller wardrobe but maybe you could sleep at night.

Of course that will never happen, panic over.

0|0
    0|0
  • What the workers in the picture are making are cheap quality clothes. They are not branded and are sold off to the consumers at a low price already. You want to pay these workers high wages when the seller is earning a minimal profit?

1|0
    0|0
  • They don't need to be more expensive to give the workers a decent living wage. The profits made on the clothing is extortionate, it's even more extortionate on branded items.

0|0
    0|0
  • Clothing is already expensive its just that we have a capitalist economy where labour doesn't doesn't get the fair share of profit made by big enterprenuers

0|0
    0|0
  • No they cost way too much now when you buy a pair of pants that cost $100 with holes in them come on really I would prefer to go to Walmart and buy me a 1099 pair jeans then pay that

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it would be great to agree a fair trade price

0|0
    0|0
  • Now way...😂😂

This is not how this works actually.

0|0
    0|0
  • I said yes but only to be fair trade. The clothing shops makes too much a margin.

0|0
    0|0
  • nope the shops buy the item cheap so they should pay more

0|0
    0|0
  • These workers are from bangladesh

0|0
    0|0
  • Dude, if you can track expensive stuff from Gucci, Neiman Marcus, etc back to higher wages and better treatment of people that makes such clothing, sure, maybe. But ya know what? Ya likely can't! Whether it's beyond expensive or dirt cheap, it's likely traceable to slave laborers abused in some third world country. Any company is gonna do what they can to make sure any trace of that is not found out. It's near impossible to know for sure. It likely always will be. What REALLY needs to happen is education for these laborers so they can do a career like a programmer, politician, professor, or journalist that will help their society move forward. Those laborers are bound to be replaced by robots and machines anytime soon like in any country. Any physical task will likely will be replaced as such. We need innovators, idea makers, communicators, programmers, teachers, careers not replaceable by robots to be obtained. On top of that with this higher education, we need to stop multiplying and take care of the people already on the planet. We have billions of people worldwide, but with machinery set to take like 3/4 of jobs, we need to STOP with the supply until the demand catches up! Forget making the clothing more expensive! Sorry but that is NAIIVE af if you TRULY wanna help these people as no doubt it won't actually go to them as deserved! If ya TRULY wanna help the world, ya gotta think REALISTICALLY in terms of 2018 and beyond! Not 1960's simplistic cheap labor needs humans models!!

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes