What’s the point of teaching Latin in schools world wide?

It’s not really spoken anymore but yet they still teach it in schools around the world. I know a lot of languages have derived from Latin but why learn Latin?

I used to work at convenience store and we had a small group of regular customers. One of those customers was an older gentleman. He told me he had to learn Latin in school. Now he can speak Italian quite well because Italian is directly rooted from Latin. That makes sense but you can just learn the Italian language if you wanted to learn it.

212