What’s the point of teaching Latin in schools world wide?

It’s not really spoken anymore but yet they still teach it in schools around the world. I know a lot of languages have derived from Latin but why learn Latin?

I used to work at convenience store and we had a small group of regular customers. One of those customers was an older gentleman. He told me he had to learn Latin in school. Now he can speak Italian quite well because Italian is directly rooted from Latin. That makes sense but you can just learn the Italian language if you wanted to learn it.

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 12

• Aside from helping with leaning academics and /or languages, it IS the official language of an actual nation with significant influence across the globe: the Vatican.

If you ever get lost and/or need help, reaching one of its scattered embassies/consulates (i. e. Roman Catholic cathedrals/churches) with an active Vatican-trained personnel, you're set!

0|0
    0|0
  • It's a supreme intellectual challenge that teaches you a lot about languages, plus Latin is still useful for biology, chemistry, astronomy, medicine, law, government, Christian theology, and of course the study of Romance languages and even German and English.

0|1
    0|0
  • When going into any scientific, engineering, medical, or linguistic profession it really helps.

The reason that so many older people understand some Latin is the christian church of the past chanted prayers in Latin regardless of each country's language. That isn't a thing anymore.

0|1
    0|0
  • It;s an old tradition dating back to the Renaissance when Latin was the international language. Latin was SUPPOSED to be the international language because of the Holy Roman Empire, but it wasn't really ever the international language. bastardized versions of Latin dominate politics and casual speech and commerce. Namely French.

But it was still considered very important that schoolboys around the world had a foundation in it because it is used a lot in scientific terminology and in art.

0|1
    0|0
  • Well Latin is not spoken as a language but it is still widely used in sciences particularly biology and medicine
    But I dont think it is really a mandatory thing anywhere anymore

0|1
    0|0
  • Anyone wanting a career in any of the biological sciences, including medical trades, will have to have some knowledge of Latin.

0|1
    0|0
  • World wide? I was never taught anything about Latin.

0|0
    0|0
  • root words...

0|1
    0|0
  • Medicine and law uses it still.

0|1
    0|0
    • 4d

Well I'm sure many other sciences do as well, just those come to my mind first.

• To be a good Catholic

0|0
    0|0
  • because its a romance language.

0|1
    0|0
  • so you can understand the Pope

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

• Excellent to learn Latin if one plans to go into medicine or become a lawyer.

Intellectually, it's a good language to study - Latin is reflected in all the Romance languages so it gives you a good basis to then study other languages.

But you're right that it is not very utilitarian.

I studied French in High School. Knowing what I know now, I should have studied Spanish.

I would like to see more programs for learning American Sign Language.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's usefull if you go into a medical Profession

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes