How diminished do you think the EU will be after #Brexit?

How diminished do you think the EU will be after #Brexit?

I'll give you a few starters.

1. At the moment, the EU contains four of the top ten universities in the world. Once the UK leaves, it will contain one of the top fifty universities in the world (at number 50).

2. It loses access to GCHQ, the most sophisticated and effective intelligence gathering facility in Europe, with all of the ramifications for future security that involves.

3. The opportunities afforded to young Europeans from the continent's impoverished South by the UK's more vibrant economy will no longer be available. Without that pressure valve, these people may well start to cause trouble at home.

4. It loses London, the largest international finance centre in the world.

This is all without arguing over the enormous financial contribution the UK made to the EU each year, which will presumably have to be made up by greater contributions from other members...

Nevertheless, this is what they get for negotiating with the primary goal of trying to make sure that no more countries vote to leave, and I suspect it's going to come back to bite them, with bells on...

0|1

Most Helpful Girl

• The EU is almost useless without the UK, in my opinion. When France or Germany leaves, it'll be completely useless, as France, Germany, and the UK were the backbones supporting the EU.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Im irish and a huge supporter of Brexit and hope Irexit happens one day. The EU is a first step along a totalitarian path to a one government world. EU politicians above MEP are not voted for. The new agenda of the EU is to end national sovergeinty. The EU is part of Agenda21 which if implenented fully will spell the end of freedom.

0|2
    0|0
    • If you've not already seen this article, I think you'll be very interested in this...

www.irishtimes.com/.../...animity-on-tax-1.3746080

That will damage Ireland very badly, and clearly Varadkar's strategy of cosying up to Juncker and pals hasn't gained him any traction on the tax issue...

• Show All
    • Agreed 100%.

Ireland's two biggest trading partners are the UK, and a long, long way after, the USA. Quite why there is so much enthusiasm for the EU is something I don't understand.

• Agreed. people are sheep n the slaves. The best slave is one who believes he is free

• I don't think the EU gives a shit about the UK or the British. I don't think the EU ever has or ever will. They might miss our money but that's about it. They don't respect the British people at all. Frankly they have done nothing during the negotiations to make me think Britain should think again. They've been cold and dismissive. Hard or soft I just want out.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 3

• The points above constitute a likely aftermath after Britain leaves the European Union. The EU's authority may be challenged for a plethora of reasons.

As an addendum, it is likely that the exchange of commodities between nations of the EU and Britain might be subject to tariffs; this may significantly impact, on a managerial and microeconomic level, how firms would deal with importation and exportation of goods and services, as well as the operation of firms that hail from Britain within the EU. Trade and economic pacts may be one course of action to address this, as it would be cognizant of Britain as a sovereign entity rather than a pawn of a bureaucratic union.

The European Union, considering its scope of political authority, would be challenged and would be a recipient of criticism, particularly from dissident political leaders and citizens; Orban comes into mind, particularly his adamant opposition of mass immigration, an advocacy that the EU seemingly condones.

If sovereign states in the EU are in disagreement with EU policies and if issues seem to exacerbate, then political leaders would continue to be antagonistic towards the EU and may even question its authority, prompting to sever ties with the EU by contemplating on leaving on their own accord.

0|1
    0|0
  • You missed out the human rights act which is from the EU if we leave then it goes and we have no rights as human, Theresa May has basically flat out lie about leave it p and she was found in contempt off parliament so we know she is a lier, I believe sweet fa that comes out her mouth we are fucked p, we owe billions too the EU and they will want it back, businesses will and have gone under, child poverty has already increased and will get worse, hard times ahead if we leave harder times if we get no deal, I think we should have another peoples vote in it.

0|1
    1|2
    • "If we leave then it goes and we have no rights as human. " Please explain this, we've had human rights before the EU existed.

• Show All
    • 7d

Those that still want too leave are known racists, that is a simple fact however staying will achieve more jobs, less child poverty, small businesses will came back etc so no am the one dreaming so give up a second referendum WILL happen us as the people want a peoples vote speak for yourself not others!. If you want to leave then that is YOUR choice NOT mine and those that I know.
      In every news outlet people carry banners stating as such.

• 7d

As soon as you used the word 'racists', I think you destroyed your credibility on this subject.

• The EU will be diminished by 30%, with China and Russia moving in to take that power.

0|1
    0|0
    • That was the American and Russian aim when they pushed for the brexit

• Show All
    • 7d

@jacquesvol Well I made up the 30% number, but I think the real loss is more than just the amount of people and money the EU loses. It is seen as less strong overall because of the departure of one of its two most powerful countries.

• 6d

@linds34. Is the UK really that powerful? Nah. I think though we could be a bit of irritant to the EU. We will is suspect be a sort of Singapore to Europe. Very close to Europe, many similar or shared laws and values but a far more favourable trading and legal environment that lures away large multinational s

What Guys Said 13

• At the end of the day, this is all pretty sad in the grand scheme of things. The original intent behind the EU in and of itself is a marvellous idea. Europe forgoing millennia of near-constant warfare and working together - left or right, you can't deny how the concept is not bad. And it worked, for a bit.

But then the fire na - corrupt beurocracy attacked.

0|1
    0|0
  • Brexit was a really bad outcome to the quasi-totalitarian Franco-Germanic "EU" project. Let's be real: big economies like the UK and Italy have zero reason to orbit Germany and France, to be just vassal states. UK has chosen its own path, although it was a irreparably loss, EU will still subsist. But if Italy leaves too, the project will be over and it'd better to create a "holy" merkelian-macronic empire in one go. That's the biggest fear of the EU bureaucrats.

0|2
    0|1
  • Sounds to me like other European countries need to get their individual shit together instead of relying on the uk.

I'm not sure how it's the responsibility of the UK to be a "pressure valve " and provide opportunities to people from all those other countries. See my first point again.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't know but I'm deeply troubled by the way russia could seriously benefit

0|1
    0|0
    • A much wiser man than I once told me "Whenever Germany's up, Russia's down, and whenever Russia's up, Germany's down".

I struggled to argue against that one...

• That line of thinking is about to come to an end considering the Russians now follow their idea of eurasianism.

• I'm more worried that this will cause a divide between European brother nations. Specifically the UK as an island and the mainland. The British have a strong tendency to go mad all alone on their island. This madness reached its peak when they tried to form a world empire.

0|0
    0|0
    • This is (partly) the point - we're not their brother nation.

• Show All
    • There are over six million people in my STATE alone.
      Enough for a country? Please

• @Waffles731 Even Hungary has less citizens.

• I think European universities will continue to work together with the top British universities and of course the GCHQ. It's in the interest of both to work together.

As for the rest, I don't know. I'm sure some financial centres will be moved to Frankfurt (or at least a small office to satisfy the legal requirements).

Obviously, there will be a loss since the UK is quite a valuable nation. But, the EU consists of more than the UK. We'll lose things, but I doubt it will be a massive deal. The EU apparently actually wants to increase it's yearly budget without the UK (or so I've heard)

0|1
    0|0
  • Not exactly going to work when Scottland tries to pull out of the UK.

0|0
    0|0
    • Support for that has been dropping in the polls since the Brexit vote. The SNP said it would boost support for independence, and the opposite has happened.

• Show All
    • @SketchForger Spain will oppose a Scottish membership: It might give ideas to Catalunya and to the Basks.

• @tartaarsaus The UK relies on money from the EU. The UK will feel it when its missing.

• We will be very fine just need to print more banknotes

0|0
    0|0
  • Life will go on , no matter what happens …….

0|2
    0|0
  • it will be crippled but still have some power

0|1
    0|0
  • They'll ask USA to declare war on UK.

0|1
    0|0
  • The GCHQ, with US help, hacked too many EU servers

0|0
    0|0
  • Oh boy