How diminished do you think the EU will be after #Brexit?

I'll give you a few starters.

1. At the moment, the EU contains four of the top ten universities in the world. Once the UK leaves, it will contain one of the top fifty universities in the world (at number 50).

2. It loses access to GCHQ, the most sophisticated and effective intelligence gathering facility in Europe, with all of the ramifications for future security that involves.

3. The opportunities afforded to young Europeans from the continent's impoverished South by the UK's more vibrant economy will no longer be available. Without that pressure valve, these people may well start to cause trouble at home.

4. It loses London, the largest international finance centre in the world.

This is all without arguing over the enormous financial contribution the UK made to the EU each year, which will presumably have to be made up by greater contributions from other members...

Nevertheless, this is what they get for negotiating with the primary goal of trying to make sure that no more countries vote to leave, and I suspect it's going to come back to bite them, with bells on...

415

Most Helpful Girl

• The EU is almost useless without the UK, in my opinion. When France or Germany leaves, it'll be completely useless, as France, Germany, and the UK were the backbones supporting the EU.

Most Helpful Guys

• Im irish and a huge supporter of Brexit and hope Irexit happens one day. The EU is a first step along a totalitarian path to a one government world. EU politicians above MEP are not voted for. The new agenda of the EU is to end national sovergeinty. The EU is part of Agenda21 which if implenented fully will spell the end of freedom.

• If you've not already seen this article, I think you'll be very interested in this...

www.irishtimes.com/.../...animity-on-tax-1.3746080

That will damage Ireland very badly, and clearly Varadkar's strategy of cosying up to Juncker and pals hasn't gained him any traction on the tax issue...

• Agreed 100%.

Ireland's two biggest trading partners are the UK, and a long, long way after, the USA. Quite why there is so much enthusiasm for the EU is something I don't understand.

• Agreed. people are sheep n the slaves. The best slave is one who believes he is free

• I don't think the EU gives a shit about the UK or the British. I don't think the EU ever has or ever will. They might miss our money but that's about it. They don't respect the British people at all. Frankly they have done nothing during the negotiations to make me think Britain should think again. They've been cold and dismissive. Hard or soft I just want out.