Is Now The Time For A Third Political Party To Rise In The US?

I’m probably going to write a MyTake about the political divide in the US, but essentially the Democratic Party has moved very far left, and the Republicans span most of the spectrum.

So to me it seems like the perfect opportunity for a moderate party to come in and have some success. I wanted to see what y’all thought.
I didn’t think I was that unclear, but I meant to ask whether or not it’s time for one of these other parties to actually have a fighting chance, rather than everyone just voting Repub or Dem.

Perhaps the better way to have asked this question is, “Should People Now Begin Voting For A Third Party Given Political Divide?”

836

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guys

• There already are, like my Libertarian Party (the largest non-R./D. party in the U. S.)
    https://www.lp.org
    the Green Party,
    http://www.gp.org/
    the Constitution Party,
    https://www.constitutionparty.com/
    the Justice Party,
    http://www.justicepartyusa.org/
    the Pirate Party,
    https://blog.pirate-party.us/

and even the American Nazi Party,
    http://www.americannaziparty.com/
    Communist Party USA, and
    http://www.cpusa.org/
    Socialist Party USA.
    https://www.socialistpartyusa.net/

The problem is that Americans don't vote for what they believe in. They vote for the lesser of 2 evils and repeatedly refuse to vote themselves into freedom by voting a multi-party system into existence, as does already exist in democracies across the globe. And with the "unelectable" idea floating around and voting being a self-fulfilling prophecy…

You'd think the masses would get opt for more options when "Deep State agent & felon" Hillary Clinton (D) and "racist, hate-monger" Donald Trump (R) were the major parties' final candidates, but that wasn't the case.

How bad must things get for the voters to actually act on their desire for more options?

• I didn’t think I was that unclear, but I meant to ask whether or not it’s time for one of these other parties to actually have a fighting chance, rather than everyone just voting Repub or Dem.

• Oops…

Okay answering your question, I would think it's long overdue. One U. S. history Ph. D. friend of mine disagreed last time I talked to him. Apparently, the last time that happened, the Civil War erupted. I hope that's not what happens this time.

• Gotcha. Thanks

• I doubt it. First past the post just makes it so brutal to actually get anywhere. There needs to be a massive shift, which typically means a party splitting in two. I don't see the democrats doing that right now. TBH if Trump gets obliterated in the Mueller report (If, i'm not saying just you all wait he's an agent for putin, i'm saying IF) and if he's tossed out of the republican party and starts his own, that would …. be the sort of thing to do it.

Whether the democrats are moving left or right (and the republicans) is … dependent on how you look at it. Being anti-trade used to be viewed as left wing. Now, who knows.

Clearly there is and continues to be a divide between more 'liberal' and more 'left' democrats. While the AOC of the world get lots of attention (because her base loves her and the conservatives use her as a bogeyman) I think the left are going to be very disappointed. The reality is the democrat gains in congress are -not- from economic left economically disadvantaged areas, it's a big surge in liberal suburban voters. www.theatlantic.com/.../ is a good discussion. So to the dismay of the Bernie Bros and I suspect trump's base, the democrat congress will be a much more urban/suburban party then we've seen in the past, likely economically moderate while barreling forward with more liberal social positions.

This is to me a natural response to the republicans own shift towards being more anti-immigrant … Trump doubled down on that voter base and handed the upper middle class suburbanites to the democrats, who are losing their rural influence.

So what might a third political party look like? On economics, it could be anything, since i'd suggest there's no strongly pro market OR strong socialist party. The difference in American on left-right has become all social. I am not sure there are enough people who care deeply about … being socially moderate. So I guess a third party would likely de-emphasize social issues. I mean there -are- third parties. I guess the Bernie bros wing would be most likely to form one - one that says look, we don't need to worry about trans bathrooms, we need to focus on the working class, and all that will help everyone who is disadvantaged.

I think it's nearly impossible that a new party based around a high dedication to civil liberty becomes a major force, because it's really only something wonkish nerds like ourselves care deeply about.

• I wouldn't say that the republican party isn't anti-immigrant so much as they're anti-illegal immigrant. This whole border wall fiasco is specifically about illegal immigration, not legal immigration.

Do you think it's plausible that one of these third parties will see gains as a result of the poralization of the two parties?

• I don't think I'd agree on that take on immigration. From a -policy- standpoint they may be sticking on that line, but the republican base increasingly views immigration in general as too high or certainly capped, where most democrats view it as a plus. That's what I read in polls anyway. Obviously i'm not living it, but a similar thing is happening in a lot of countries. The conservative party where I am was never as pro-immigrant as i'd have liked, but has drifted more towards viewing immigration as a problem, and I've stopped financially supporting them basically over the issue. Anyway that's nto the main point here…

I mean I think in the last presidential election, you saw 'gains' certainly at the presidential level, with much higher third party voting than normal, but I don't see any opportunity to build on that and I think it primarily reflected how horribly unpopular both trump and Clinton were.

It's brutally hard to get an actual third party up and running, and it's unstable - the system demands two parties in any given region. We've sort of had a third major party for years in Canada. For a while our conservative party split and it was forced back together, and masses of people 'strategically vote' as is, where they don't actually vote for the party they like, they vote for the party of the two in their riding that have a shot. So our third party briefly jumped to opposition status, then collapsed again as it dropped back to its normal spot.

First past the post means you have to be able to win, or you're not a real party. Capturing 25% of the vote is meaningless.

• You phrased a question below 'is it time to vote for a third party'.

I've never voted for one here. It really is purely a protest vote, though with a bit of a point. A libertarian vote sends a message to the republican party, a green vote sends a message to the democrats, that they need to do more to get your vote. But that's all they do.

Personally I have little to no hope of any party really looking like what i'd like for the next 20 years in my country. It's not a political issue, it's a cultural issue. There is not a large enough constituency for what I believe.