Does this surprise anyone?

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/01/texas-county-gop-set-vote-whether-remove-vice-chairman-hes-muslim/ - Texas county GOP set to vote on whether to remove vice-chairman because he’s Muslim

Shahid Shafi identifies as a Republican because of his firm belief in small government, lower taxes and secure borders. But his commitment to core GOP values hasn’t shielded him from ire within his own party.

A group of Tarrant County Republicans will vote Thursday evening on whether to remove Shafi as vice-chairman of the county party after a small faction of members put forth a formal motion to oust him because he’s Muslim.

“We don’t think he’s suitable as a practicing Muslim to be vice chair because he’d be the representative for ALL Republicans in Tarrant County, and not ALL Republicans in Tarrant County think Islam is safe or acceptable in the U. S., in Tarrant County, and in the TCGOP,” O’Brien wrote on Facebook, adding that “there are big questions surrounding exactly where Dr. Shafi’s loyalties lie, vis a vis Democrat and Republican policies.”

1|1

Most Helpful Girls

Most Helpful Guys

• i wish i were surprised by this. at least then it would mean that i haven't come to expect things like this from humans

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 1

• It actually does surprise me a little bit. So you are talking Dallas-Fort Worth area but Tarrant County is Fort Worth. It Dallas and the cities are different by a large degree.

I hate Dallas. But I don’t think this would fly in Dallas. It certainly, AF doesn’t fly in Houston or other major cities in Texas.

I’m pretty pissed off about this, it is ridiculous and beyond the pale.

I honestly “tremble for my
    Country when I reflect that God is just: That his justice cannot sleep forever. “

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 5

• No, and i'm not even really against it. If he loses the vote then obviously they don't feel he represents them, and since that's the point I don't think it should matter that its discriminatory

0|1
    0|0
  • Understable. Isalmphobia is real and the cause is ligit among many around the world. He can be a secret cell. Who knows?

0|1
    0|0
  • While it may sound like it's a cut and dried case, I'm suspicious. If Dr Shafi were to, say, be a strong proponent of Sharia courts, that would be a good reason to oust him for his "Non-Republican" views. There's just not enough information here.
    I'm NOT saying that this is the case; I'm just pointing out that sometimes, being a hyper-orthodox member of ANY religion can get you into trouble. If a Christian were to propose bring back "blue laws", for example, that would ALSO be a reason to boot his ass.

0|1
    1|0
  • Not particularly

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope doesn't surprise me

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes