Should safe spaces exist in educational institutions?

• Yes, safe spaces should exist
  • No, safe spaces should not exist

3084

Most Helpful Girls

• Of course not. Truth hurts. Some people can take it and some people can not. But preparing safe places for people has nothing to do with teaching people to deal with the truth. Truth needs to prevail and truth will prevail over feelings...

• What even is a safe space? If you mean like those "black/LGBT/no whites (insert identity) only" clubs, no. It's crazy how people fought for desegregation back in the 60s and now they're trying to bring it back.

• Idiotic isn't it? Too bad they're so blinded by their ultra liberalism to see how idiotic it is.

Most Helpful Guys

• There's really no reason not to include safe spaces if an institution chooses to do so.

Like many other college students, I have a lot on my plate looking towards the future. On top of maintaining my courses and working, these are the same years most of us are looking at what we're going to do with the rest of our lives, whether that be personal, work, or romantic relationships. Will I be able to apply my degree to the career I want? Will I be able to support myself once I move out of my home- and if I am, where am I going to live? How can I balance my relationship against my courses? Am I comfortable with myself and my sexuality? Am I comfortable with the decisions I've made leading up to this point in my life?

Often times, so much going on all at once can overwhelming. There are many ways that people deal with this- some individuals may take a break from working to focus on classes. Others may have to put an end to their relationship in order to keep in check other factors in their lives. This doesn't work for everyone. Personally, I can't afford to quit my job without also dropping out of college. For those with children or spouses, taking a break from family isn't an option. We all have different stressors going on individually in our lives that tend to add up.

With all of that to take in, it's nice to be able to take a break from everything once in a while. Safe spaces provide that opportunity. They're places where you can go to relax and recenter yourself or just to feel welcomed by your community when you can't go home to friends and family (such as being at an out-of-state university) or don't have supportive connections in those areas. Attending one isn't running away from or avoiding problems. It's really no different than any other form of self-care or mental holiday. Safe spaces provide the opportunity for anyone to take a break from the stressors in their life and connect with others regardless of skin color, religious brief, background, sexual orientation, etc.

At the same time, their existence doesn't interrupt the lives of anyone who chooses not to use them. They remain available to anyone who needs them and those who don't need not make any use of them and can walk on by without any trouble to themselves. Overall, they provide substantial benefits to individuals when utilized in campuses or workplaces the same way that stress-relief events during finals or support groups do while being more readily available.

• Oh boo hoo tbh

• Life is harsh, deal with it. As everyone else does, you're not unique or special.

• To counter that, I've never really heard of an argument AGAINST safe spaces other than "suck it up"

Not everyone deals with the same issues and even those that do handle them in different ways. Personally, I've never seen the need to use one and prefer to deal with my problems myself but I see nothing wrong with someone else making use of one if they need to. Like I said, it's a similar concept to taking a mental health day, everyone deserves a break here and there. I also tried to highlight the benefits of those spaces being more readily available than other alternatives- they're also cheaper than therapy. I've had friends who suffer from panic attacks. When they happened at home I was there for support and knew that they were in a good places but it's peace of mind that if they happened at school that there's places they can recover after if they need it. Just some thoughts.

• "Safe Spaces" should not exist anywhere, ever, period. Parents, particularly those that live in affluent or otherwise above average areas are infamously criticized for "sheltering" their kids from the realities of the world, and safe spaces are essentially the same thing. It breeds a society of emotionally weak individuals who are mentally fragile and therefore a liability.

That is the opposite of what the people who think they need a "safe space" actually need. You overcome setbacks and adversity by becoming stronger and dealing with it directly, not by cowering under the imaginary protection of a "safe space."