Should safe spaces exist in educational institutions?

Should safe spaces exist in educational institutions?
  • Yes, safe spaces should exist
    Vote A
  • No, safe spaces should not exist
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Of course not. Truth hurts. Some people can take it and some people can not. But preparing safe places for people has nothing to do with teaching people to deal with the truth. Truth needs to prevail and truth will prevail over feelings...

2|7
    1|0
  • What even is a safe space? If you mean like those "black/LGBT/no whites (insert identity) only" clubs, no. It's crazy how people fought for desegregation back in the 60s and now they're trying to bring it back.

2|6
    0|1
    • Idiotic isn't it? Too bad they're so blinded by their ultra liberalism to see how idiotic it is.

Most Helpful Guys

• There's really no reason not to include safe spaces if an institution chooses to do so.

Like many other college students, I have a lot on my plate looking towards the future. On top of maintaining my courses and working, these are the same years most of us are looking at what we're going to do with the rest of our lives, whether that be personal, work, or romantic relationships. Will I be able to apply my degree to the career I want? Will I be able to support myself once I move out of my home- and if I am, where am I going to live? How can I balance my relationship against my courses? Am I comfortable with myself and my sexuality? Am I comfortable with the decisions I've made leading up to this point in my life?

Often times, so much going on all at once can overwhelming. There are many ways that people deal with this- some individuals may take a break from working to focus on classes. Others may have to put an end to their relationship in order to keep in check other factors in their lives. This doesn't work for everyone. Personally, I can't afford to quit my job without also dropping out of college. For those with children or spouses, taking a break from family isn't an option. We all have different stressors going on individually in our lives that tend to add up.

With all of that to take in, it's nice to be able to take a break from everything once in a while. Safe spaces provide that opportunity. They're places where you can go to relax and recenter yourself or just to feel welcomed by your community when you can't go home to friends and family (such as being at an out-of-state university) or don't have supportive connections in those areas. Attending one isn't running away from or avoiding problems. It's really no different than any other form of self-care or mental holiday. Safe spaces provide the opportunity for anyone to take a break from the stressors in their life and connect with others regardless of skin color, religious brief, background, sexual orientation, etc.

At the same time, their existence doesn't interrupt the lives of anyone who chooses not to use them. They remain available to anyone who needs them and those who don't need not make any use of them and can walk on by without any trouble to themselves. Overall, they provide substantial benefits to individuals when utilized in campuses or workplaces the same way that stress-relief events during finals or support groups do while being more readily available.

2|0
    0|1
    • Oh boo hoo tbh

• Show All
    • Life is harsh, deal with it. As everyone else does, you're not unique or special.

• To counter that, I've never really heard of an argument AGAINST safe spaces other than "suck it up"

Not everyone deals with the same issues and even those that do handle them in different ways. Personally, I've never seen the need to use one and prefer to deal with my problems myself but I see nothing wrong with someone else making use of one if they need to. Like I said, it's a similar concept to taking a mental health day, everyone deserves a break here and there. I also tried to highlight the benefits of those spaces being more readily available than other alternatives- they're also cheaper than therapy. I've had friends who suffer from panic attacks. When they happened at home I was there for support and knew that they were in a good places but it's peace of mind that if they happened at school that there's places they can recover after if they need it. Just some thoughts.

• "Safe Spaces" should not exist anywhere, ever, period. Parents, particularly those that live in affluent or otherwise above average areas are infamously criticized for "sheltering" their kids from the realities of the world, and safe spaces are essentially the same thing. It breeds a society of emotionally weak individuals who are mentally fragile and therefore a liability.

That is the opposite of what the people who think they need a "safe space" actually need. You overcome setbacks and adversity by becoming stronger and dealing with it directly, not by cowering under the imaginary protection of a "safe space."

1|4
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 28

• I mean every vacant room is basically a safe space so there already are a lot of safe spaces in educational institutions.

4|10
    0|0
  • 1|10
    1|0
  • All it does is shelter you from the real world and give you an outlet to escape from your problems which is extremely unhealthy and should be highly discouraged. Imagine if everyone grew up in a "safe space"; the world would be run by kids! There would be petty fights that end up causing wars and stupid decisions to become law. They shouldn't exist period. The world is a tough, cruel, mean bitch and you are going to accomplish nothing sitting in a bubble and plugging your ears.

0|3
    0|0
  • Yes, definitely. This is something I needed when growing up. I tried to suppress my sexuality due to homophobia and fear of homophobia. Actually having a safe space would have helped so much when I was growing up. Being afraid of such a core part of me really didn't do good for my mental health.

6|1
    0|2
    • Basically whenever I tried to express my sexuality I was punished for it.

• yeah and also knowing that there's other people that are lgbt+ and meeting them would make a huge difference

• @illkillu For most of my life, I thought I was the only one like that where I grew up. I thought it was some one-in-a-million chance. Two of my friends luckily ended up being lesbians too and now the three of us lovers. One of my girlfriends had it much worse as she grew up in a religious cult and when she left to be with me and my other girlfriend, she was shunned by her family and lost all of her friends who were also in the cult.

• Part of succeeding in life is learning to be out of your comfort zone and facing challenges

3|15
    0|0
  • No they should not exist. Learn to accept the world is harsh. Get a thick skin and move on.

3|13
    3|1
  • Keep this SJW chutiyapa out of campuses. Even if they decide to have it, Universitywill not spend money on it at all, it'll be funded by students themselves

0|4
    1|0
  • I sure as fuck didn't get any growing up and I'm younger than some of the people claiming to need them.

I know what it's like to be hated for something as irrelevant as my sexuality or my appearance. It's made me a much more resilient person.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on what u call a safe room. My old school had a safe room where people with ptss, anxiety, or other mental dissorders could go when they felt like they had a panic attack or needed to rest for a moment. I think that is fine and even think its a good thing. If safe room is only (insert lgtb or race here) may enter then no that is a terrible idea.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think they should exist especially in educational institutions. Whether or not someone feels safe can have a huge impact on their lives and psychological welfare, which can ultimately impact their education.
    In any case, is there any good reason why someone can not be allowed to feel safe at any given time?

1|0
    0|0
  • All a safe space is is an area where people are under a requirement to speak respectfully. Something which is entirely, 100% necessary to create a workable educational environment. In no high school classroom would a teacher permit students to call each other names in a class discussion, or otherwise get into insulting territory via hate speech and the like. That's a safe space. Anyone who thinks classrooms should be totally unregulated spaces where students should be able to say whatever they want with no consequences should go and try to teach a few high school/middle school classes and see how that goes.

1|1
    0|3
  • No. you're there to learn and be exposed to different ideals and people. You'll have to live in society with those people and you can shut them up

0|1
    0|0
  • We should be teaching our kids to be civil thoughtful and the ability to accept that people are who they are and even if you don't agree non abusive open conversations are the best way to discuss whatever they feel they need to. A no bully is tolerated policy should be a major part of school all over not just a single place school counselors should also be the safe space shitty dick parents makes tiny shitty asshole kids. Sure life is harsh but if we can teach a better way of being civilised then things will get better

1|1
    0|0
  • I keep trying to understand what "safe space" implies. I don't finish to get it. I think everybody should be able to express different opinions, agree and disagree. They should do it politely, though. If anyone do it agresively and starts to harass or bully for real, that's not simply disagreeing, that's something that should be reported, just like in real life if someone harasses, threatens or hits you, you should denounce to police.

Another point is that teachers should try to hold themselves, they should avoid to share their political views as much as possible. Teacher of any ideology must encourage children to doubt about everything and ask constantly why they believe something, and when giving data they should try to only give objective data. Subjectivity is impossible to avoid 100% but must try not to be exaggerately subjective in class.

0|0
    0|0
  • When people are bullying you for being yourself, then a safe space is beneficial

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes maybe they learn the best way to handle the bullying. I think that empathy is something that is really lacking in today's society.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on who it’s for. Survivors of abuse, assault, addiction, and other serious traumas can benefit from having a place to talk about their experiences with people who know how they feel. The ones for people who were born into a specific group are just excessive. However, I do think it’s kind of ridiculous when people say they don’t need a safe space because they’re tough enough to deal with life; everyone has a safe space, even people who dislike the official ones. Everyone, at least some of the time, likes talking to people who agree with them and won’t argue with their beliefs so they can feel validated and comfortable. Some people just make a ceremony out of it.

0|0
    0|0
  • That’s what your house is for.

2|5
    0|0
  • For individuals with mental illnesses that can make them triggered yes.

0|1
    1|1
    • I have a severe mental illness (schizophrenia) and even I think "safe spaces" is an idiotic and detrimental idea. If I can live my life out in the harsh world with such an illness then so can everyone else.

• No, safe spaces should not exist

0|4
    0|0
    • What, so students should be able to scream insults at each other in a classroom without any interference?

• Show All
    • @cipher42 "and what would happen if you did?"
      kind of an irrelevant question because, as I said, we don't and won't.

You are confusing deranged screaming with arguing or debating. The former is disruptive, the latter is an absolute must in an educational facility. No person deserves to be shielded from opinions they disagree with. Everyone should be exposed to opinions or ideas that they do not like, it builds character and intellect.

• @thisdudehere: then it's a self created safe space, bud. Safe spaces don't (in the sense used in educational spaces) prevent argument or debate, only disrespect. And in any case, there is ALWAYS the chance that some person in the class IS gonna be the kind of person who is willing to start screaming, insulting, or otherwise speaking in a way that disrupts the learning environment. So no, it's really not irrelevant at all. If in that environment there is the expectation that if someone behaves in such a way, they would get shut down, its a safe space.

• I think so also where people can identify with each other helps also.

0|0
    0|1
  • People really this soft now 🤦🏽‍♀️

1|3
    0|0
  • Yes id love that

0|0
    0|0
  • If we need safe spaces in places like that, something is seriously messed up in our society.

1|1
    0|0
  • Does this mean those rooms where certain races or communities can only enter? If so, then that's not the answer.
    Segregation makes it worse, it doesn't make it better, when will people understand this?

1|3
    0|0
  • Yes but only if everyone gets a safe space ie a whites only safe space

0|2
    0|0
    • White only safe spaces are racist though...

Black safe spaces, Spanish safe spaces, et cetera are TOTALLY not racist. Only whites are racist...

*sarcasm*

• Show All
    • Black Lives Matter and other SJWs consider them POC

• @InTimoreDei they need allies I guess.

• Depends what you mean? In my high school there was a lot of bullying toward lgbtq students. Some teachers decided to put up small signs in their rooms to let students know that if they were having problems, that this teacher was safe to talk to. Otherwise its hard to know what teachers are accepting and which ones won't take you seriously. We also had a student group that reguardless of your identity these group meeting were a safe area where you could express whats going on in your life with no judgement (things like, figuring out your identity or sexual orientation, home conflicts reguarding identity etc). Sometimes home isn't a "safe space", and we all need somewhere we feel feee to be outselves.

0|0
    0|0
  • difficult to say. the fact is that not everyone respects everything. eg. people who insist and insist and brush aside and dismiss trans people and their want to be accepted in society. trans people would benefit from a safe space that would be catered to their need to rant, be vulnerable, express frustration, etc.
    safe spaces should cease to exist once people cease to be assholes.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 82

• It depends on how it's going to be defined, but due to the increasingly broad definition I'd have to say "NOOOOO". If a teacher wants to set up their office as a "safe space" where a student can come and talk to their professor about problems they're facing without fear of reprisal then they're free to do so. If they want to close off the campus to contrary ideas (as was seen with Ben Shapiro, the forced removal of white people from campus with Weinstein) by threatening or utilizing violence because the school is supposed to be a safe space then fuck off and grow up. You're not a child, you're an adult start acting like one.

1|3
    0|0
  • Politically the school is supposed to be as neutral as possible and teach the pupils everything from both sides. When it comes to bullying the school has the right to stop it and telling pupils it's not okay. Bullying and treating others poorly regardless of reasons aren't okay, so it should be banned in school. It hasn't anything to do with SJW to do.

Regardless if they bully each others for being too fat, thin, dark, light, dumb, smart or whatever, bullying is bullying and it's bad. It's okay for schools to allow pupils to talk to a teacher only face to face in their office or in a group room, so not everyone need to hear the conversation. Having school doctors/nurses is also a nice thing to have so pupils can talk about their health problems to a profession. For some it's easier going to the doctor in school time than outside school. We've school doctors in Norway.

0|1
    0|0
  • There's no need

1|3
    0|0
  • i believe a dorm room is safe space enough

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm not entirely sure what a "safe space" would look like. Do you mean actual rooms/spaces that are designated to be "safe spaces"? If so, what would the rules be in such a space? Would someone need to enforce those rules?

I am studying in university and I don't see a reason why safe spaces should be a thing. Students generally respect each other. I have never seen a fight break out or even a heated discussion break out on campus.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think the world is a messed up place, I've said this before and I'll say it again. LGBT stuff should not be forced on to us, I remember being in kindergarten, grade 1, grade 2 and etc and reading books such as Curious George or The Berenstain Bears, now you have kids books promoting gay acts. What adults do behind closed doors is their business but don't promote it to little kids, I think that's messed up, because a child's mind is sensitive and if they get lured with well I'm a boy so I guess I should like other boys that is fk'd up.

I live in Toronto, and last year I saw kids dancing and walking with half naked men at the gay pride parade, why is this acceptable? People will get mad at my comment and throw a hissy fit but God never intended for man to stick his dick into another man, that's why the human body was crafted by God, giving men and women to produce. Hey listen, if your gay and you like your own sex then do stuff behind closed doors, me and many others who are straight get uncomfortable even when straight couples are passionate in public, save it for the bedroom and the same goes for gay people.

0|1
    0|0
  • If it truly is your wish to cultivate legions of weaklings and pathetic whiners who'll retreat sobbing as soon as confronted with reality or hardship, then by all means. If you're actually built with some sanity, no.

0|1
    0|0
    • The only thing this will yield is a culture which refuses civil discourse and the exchange of ideas and belief, an anti-intellectual and anti-reasonable society.

• In many parts of the world, homosexuals get stoned to death, blacks are mocked by using monkey caricatures, transgenders are beaten to within an inch of their lives and some are even murdered.

It's no surprise that the ones who object to people wanting a safe environment to study in are those who never face such threats, and more importantly, cannot conceive of the notion that other people face such threats.

The amount of people who lack empathy for others is astounding.

0|1
    0|2
    • Empathy is something that so many people are missing nowadays.

• Being very cynnical here, safe spaces should exist. The education system works as a ponzi scheme anyways and just because just because we should let it continue for the hell of it. Let people waste more money towards things like safe spaces. It's only government subsidies going to waste and weird peoples time and energy accumilating into debt.

0|0
    0|1
  • No, you go to university to hear lots of ideas and to learn how to THINK and how to reach your own conclusions and to SOLVE PROBLEMS. You don't go to be safe from hearing ideas and points of views.

Idiots want to be safe from ideas at school.

0|1
    0|0
  • The modern "Safe Space" is idiotic. Schools should always be safe for you to be yourself, freely express your views and not get shouted down. That's how it was for me in college largely, even in classes where open debate got lively. We always had moderators in charge of manning the room. That's a real safe environment. But this safe space idea that requires trigger warnings or what not... no lol.

0|1
    0|0
  • Most of your socialization happens in the public school system. You need to learn to deal with people for better or worse during that time. If you are bubble wrapped through the entire experience then you aren’t equipped for real life.

0|1
    0|0
  • No school is about learning and preparing young people for the real world. In the real world there's no such thing as safe space, what even is a safe space really? No ones safe unfortunatel. In the real world it a scary place, full of people with different opinions and sometimes we have to deal with things we don't want to that's just how life works and doing this setting young people up to become sown flakes

0|1
    0|0
  • No. If you're so weak that a different opinion breaks you, then you shouldn't leave home. The world is full of people, and those people all have an opinion. If you don't agree, debate with them. Locking yourself with people who won't and can't disagree with you is the pinnacle of stupidity, weakness and stubbornness.

0|2
    0|0
  • Depending on how its implemented I dont see why not. Educational institutes can be very stressful not to mention private lives so having a place you can just go to when you need, does not have to be for any reason in particular, would be very valuable.

I think we could all use a space we can feel safe and sometimes we can't even find it at home.

1|0
    0|0
  • No, education is meant to be about broadening horizons and teaching people how to operate in the real world, not the diametric opposite.

1|3
    0|0
  • No, because safe spaces don't exist out in the world. So we should not weaken young people so that they're unprepared for what's out there.

1|3
    0|0
  • I am old and do not know what a safe space is, but it seems to me that society bubble wraps people too much. We have become an intolerant society in the quest to be more tolerant. By that I mean people with opposing viewpoints to the pervading neo liberal thoughts are shut down and not allowed to have their opinion. In science, it is generally accepted (not global warming) that people challenge and critically examine theories. The critical process makes existing theories stronger and more resilient and it should be the same with people. We are stronger when challenged, the challenge makes us better human beings but that process for people is tough and takes work.

So I don't know what a safe space is, but it might not be the best for human development.

0|3
    0|0
  • I believe the intentions of safe spaces are good but perhaps the overall conclusion or effect of them is not healthy for young people as a whole, especially in university where safe spaces predominantly exist to my knowledge. Young people need to have their ideas challenged and they should also feel comfortable challenging other people’s ideas. This is what high learning/university is all about, or at least largely about. People shouldn’t be sensitive to new ideas and people should be resilient in how they deal with situations and be logical about it. If you see something you don’t like, think about how to best face it. Don’t shy away from it.

0|3
    0|0
  • Alas, there is no such thing. You're just swapping one abuser for another (the person in charge of maintaining the safe space). What you're hoping for is that the new abuser will support you, not your tormentor.

0|1
    0|0
  • Look around you. The world is filled with monsters and idiots. There are no Safe Spaces. Get used to it.

Adapt and Overcome.

0|1
    0|0
  • Does that mean there are "unsafe" places in educational institutions? The whole think is supposed to be a safe zone, so this idea is messed up. It implies that the rest of place is hostile, and it will segregate and not unite. It's not like a "smoking zone".

0|0
    0|0
  • It be nice to not see any safe spaces for anyone for a while, because all this safe bullshit turned an entire generation into little bitching crying snowflakes.

0|2
    0|0
  • Nope.
    Educational institutions exist to educate young people for their later life, which should include surviving in the harsh real world.

1|2
    0|0
  • So long as they are not invented on the spur of the moment and NEVER in public spaces. You want a safe space to go man-hate? Okay, so have a Man-Hate Spot in some room. You want a safe space to go Woman-Hate? Okay, so have an Incel Nook in some room. But NEVER in a public space.

In my day we had "safe spaces", they were called "dorm rooms".

0|0
    0|0
  • Should safe spaces exist in educational institutions?

We already do have safe spaces. It's called the "library".

0|0
    0|0
  • In middle school, I got the hole "hey, let's gay-bash the weird new kid" thing and I'm not even gay. I have a thick skin and shrugged it off. Don't really know why people these days people just either go around fighting people just for saying something they don't like, or easily get emotional.

0|0
    0|0
  • There is a thing called a house for this.

Plus let's be real how safe can a safe place be with people you never met nor know.

Also i hate people and anit soical so lol

0|1
    0|0
  • Depends on what you mean.

I would rather can the idea of safe spaces, and just sanction the students/staff/orgainizations who go public with bigoted opinions [of any kind]. Plain and simple.

Are we talking about college here, or high school too?

0|0
    0|0
    • Define bigoted.

• Show All
    • You basically prove the whole point behind the phrases creation byabeling a dogwhistle born out of common sense as alt-right simply for it favouring white people in particular.

• 3d

I don't understand what you mean by that.

• Show more from Guys

Recommended myTakes