Why are people still intrigued by tragedy?

why do people still watch documentaries or footage and still have a fascination with disasters? even up to a hundred or more years after they happen?

for example
-titanic
-twin towers
-tenerife airport
-halifax explosion
-chernobyl

Why are people still intrigued by tragedy?Why are people still intrigued by tragedy?Why are people still intrigued by tragedy?Why are people still intrigued by tragedy?Why are people still intrigued by tragedy?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Because these types of disasters are known to greatly effect us psychologically... so perhaps they’re intriguing in that sense.. at least to me

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• well its not always easy to image such physics of massive destruction to that extent... I mean when do we get to see a massive 104 story building come toppling down into crumbs... never

when do we actually get to understand and see a massive ship sink to its demise... like never

same with planes, can you even imagine the sheer terror the pilot has when its descending from the sky under the clouds to realize they descended too early and about to crash into a mountain... like never

these disasters are jaw dropping because its not something we are exposed to... its very fascinating...

0|0
    0|0
  • There are so many layers to it all. One thing is for sure, great tragedies have a way of unifying people. After 911, the way people in the US pulled together for a few weeks after, it was amazing. My grandmother said it reminded her of Pearl Harbor.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 3

• I have no idea. For me I like to watch death videos. I don't know why but it fascinates me.

0|0
    0|0
    • ever listen to the recordings of the people minutes before they jumped out of the twin towers? either burn or jump... what a decision though... fack

• What happened at Tenerife airport?

0|0
    0|0
    • two planes collided on a runway and like 500+ people were killed

• Show All
    • How awful. I’ve just read about it on wiki

• I just find it fascinating

1|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 8

• It's not because it's fascinating. It's because we crave chaos. We beg for catastrophy. You see... we can deal with 9/11, wars and financial collapse etc because if we don't have these things to act as an exorcism or catalyst then we start to see these things in ourselves and without it, it would drive people crazy. People would rather take 1000 9/11's over 1 moment of true insight.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think is a way of remembering those who tragically passed during such events. Possibly a way to learn from our mistakes as well.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nothing interesting ever happens in this world besides tragedy. I would sugarcoat that, but I'm not going to.

0|0
    0|0
  • so we remember these events that were turning points in history

0|0
    0|0
  • History is my favorite subject, and these are historical events, thus my interest.

0|0
    0|0
  • People like stories...

0|0
    0|0
  • It becomes legend

0|0
    0|0
  • to try and prevent it

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes