Why are people still intrigued by tragedy?

why do people still watch documentaries or footage and still have a fascination with disasters? even up to a hundred or more years after they happen?

for example
-titanic
-twin towers
-tenerife airport
-halifax explosion
-chernobyl

Why are people still intrigued by tragedy?Why are people still intrigued by tragedy?Why are people still intrigued by tragedy?Why are people still intrigued by tragedy?Why are people still intrigued by tragedy?

410

Most Helpful Girl

• Because these types of disasters are known to greatly effect us psychologically... so perhaps they’re intriguing in that sense.. at least to me

Most Helpful Guys

• well its not always easy to image such physics of massive destruction to that extent... I mean when do we get to see a massive 104 story building come toppling down into crumbs... never

when do we actually get to understand and see a massive ship sink to its demise... like never

same with planes, can you even imagine the sheer terror the pilot has when its descending from the sky under the clouds to realize they descended too early and about to crash into a mountain... like never

these disasters are jaw dropping because its not something we are exposed to... its very fascinating...

• There are so many layers to it all. One thing is for sure, great tragedies have a way of unifying people. After 911, the way people in the US pulled together for a few weeks after, it was amazing. My grandmother said it reminded her of Pearl Harbor.