Why is diversity so important?

I never understood why... Politicians, media, etc are always talking about diversity and how it's such a great thing. Personally as someone who is currently going to UAA (University of Alaska Anchorage). I don't understand how it is such a rewarding experience or how it's so great. I could care less if my community is diverse or not. Is it just me or does it seem like this message gets repeated way too much? Also I'm sure there are others out there like me but who in all honesty actually cares if a place is diverse or not? And why the hell does it matter? It doesn't affect me in any way.

0|2

Most Helpful Girl

• "I could care less"--so you do care? what?
    and yep. because it doesn't affect YOU it is SOOOOOO unnecessary. My God, i can't believe you are a real person.

2|1
    0|2
    • Whatever lady. If you're offended why you here? I'm here to ask a simple question and get a real response. If you can't give me a nice response with your view on if diversity is or is not important then please leave.

• Show All
    • We should just hire/elect the best most qualified candidate, not the one with the right genitals or skin color. That is why whites hate diversity

• @malegender ooooo, you could've left out the last sentence and i could've compromised. i think you hate diversity, don't put words in other white people's mouths. you clearly didn't read our whole (civilized) thread. but keep on keeping on.

Most Helpful Guys

• Diversity and the acceptance of diversity is a good thing in general. For example, companies like Apple, Google, Microsoft, Intel, Amazon, and many others hire talent from all over the world, because talent is found all over the world.

I think what you're talking about, though, is "forced diversity for the sake of diversity", which is a policy pushed by the left in order to create more people who are dependent on the government, and thus who will keep voting in the lefties who promise them your tax dollars. In that case, diversity is just a pretext to try to give the lefties a "politically correct shield" - it allows them to make the argument that if you oppose large-scale immigration - especially of low-skilled workers - that you must be racist. That ignores the other reasons why people oppose large-scale, low-skill immigration, but the lefties have figured out that calling people racists - even when everyone knows it's a lie - makes people uncomfortable and often causes them to abandon their argument in order not to appear racist.

If immigrants could not vote until they had lived in the US for 20 years, the Democrats would be arguing FOR the border wall - and probably a minefield and airstrikes - because their only actual reason for wanting open immigration would be gone.

0|3
    0|0
  • The only type of diversity that matters is diversity of thought. Anything else is identity politics and should be publicly condemned.

0|2
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 6

• At one point I was going to predominantly white people. I didn’t see not ONE Asain. And it’s just fucking weird. Yeah, at the end of the day everyone is bleeds the same blood but there is such thing as culture differences and when I was finally able to continue my education in a more diverse environment, I felt like a weight was lifted off my chest. Can’t describe it 100% but being a fly in a bowl of milk is very uncomfortable.

4|1
    0|1
    • Thank you for your response. One of the best on the thread. You didn't beat around the Bush with your answer, you didn't answer my question with another question. Thank you. I can't beleive there are actually people who are offended rn by this question.

• Show All
    • or hate the reverse racism it causes

• @OnlyYouKnowThat

I don’t dislike white people and I’m not prejudice against them. I don't know if you misunderstood me... but I never said I had some type of bone to pick with white people.
      I didn’t “expect” any diversity in a predominantly white school. I already what it was before I attended.

• With all respect, I'm guessing you're a straight white man?

4|0
    0|5
    • Yes I am. I do indeed identify as a white heterosexual Christian Male.

• Show All
    • "With all respect, I'm guessing you're a straight white man?"

Interesting how the people who are so in favour of diversity and supposedly so against racism and discrimination, are so quick to say things like the question quoted above.

• I said with all due respect because I didn't want to sound mean

• Cause this way you learn about other cultures plus less wars.

0|0
    0|5
  • just watch a youtube video about it. there’s plenty of them

0|0
    0|0
  • 4×4 mind.

1|0
    0|1
  • It only matters when non-whites are not represented not the other way around

1|5
    4|1
    • in what realm are whites under represented? outside of cultural events such as bollywood and all? anything?

• Show All
    • @scorchedwater Asians too busy starting businesses and going to school to whine about whitey. That's why they make more money than anyone else including whites, have the lowest incarceration, murder, and divorce rates. This isn't about them

• @malegender who said it was. this convo is dead.

What Guys Said 28

• i think when you consider the contributions of people in 'say america' of all the different races and ethnic backgrounds and we begin to see how diversity has shaped the American fabric we are so proud of.

diversity is the reason we have the only true American music forms (blues, jazz, and rap) which birthed rock and roll. imagine america without the music we listen to on a daily basis

irish people were the at the forefront of unionizing and championing protections for workers. so without the irish we may not have things like OSHA, labor laws, employee healthcare

jewish people have been leaders in so many industries culturally, artistically, economically, scientifically

that's just three examples. we don't need to manufacture diversity but diversity has certainly improved American society so much so that we probably take it for granted. however if we removed all the different cultures, races and ethnic groups that came to this country we'd live in a drastically different country

1|0
    0|0
  • It’s not. Not caring about someone’s race IS important. Race being the number one concern and filling a room with all the colors of the rainbow are to me exactly what MLK did not want.

0|3
    0|0
    • I agree 100%! I'm honestly so sick of hearing all the political stuff anymore. It's like it's everywhere now!

• I used to use my minority status as a chip to play. So I’m guilty. But I also understand what they’re doing when I see it. If you think about it, thinking white people should or even could help minorities is one definition of white supremacy. You’d have to think whites were better in order to expect them to help.

• Why does it have to be important to you? If you don't like "diversity", don't be "diverse". Don't listen to different types of music, don't associate with different types of people or entertain different types of ideas.

Just don't whine about being excluded, since exclusion is okay with you.

1|0
    0|2
    • Did I hit a nerve or something? All I'm asking for is an answer to the question. That's all. I don't mean to offend you or something. Just please be respectful and I'll give the same respect back.

• Show All
    • Roland must be an SJW

• @malegender lmao ya I've seen him in and out of my questions before. Sometimes he says some pretty good shit but other times he's just a complete dumbass. 😂

• Okay. So I enjoy learning about new cultures and ideas. I love having friends who don't have the same outlook as I do. Now would I ever go to a place just because it is diverse? No. But I love finding new and Interesting things. Diversity without segregation can be fun. Now when you start segregating and belittling someone because they are not diverse then you are just causing problems.

0|2
    0|0
  • You ask the right question. We have been led down a path that to believe that "diversity" of the population, is, in itself the ultimate goal of a society. The notion that diversity is the highest priority to achieve national success is constantly shoved down out throats by the overwhelmingly left wing oriented media.

Never mind celebrating excellence, achievement, contribution to the betterment of America, oh no, those things are just greedy goals of a repressive society. Instead celebrate multiculturalism, all kinds of sexual deviations, and anything that requires no talent or achievement at all except to be born a certain color or as a member of a certain group.

If you were an enemy of the United States, what would be one of the surest ways to destroy us? How about making us more concerned with counting how many people of this race or that gender or this nationality held positions at every level of society instead of counting how much excellence they added to whatever it is that they do? How about making us advance people based on their skin color instead of based on how well they did in the position they were in before? What better way to ensure the failure of a society than to make them focus on all the wrong attributes so that their industries and governments are manned by sub-optimal performers who were advanced into positions of leadership by something other than they own God given talent, personal drive and ambition and excellent performance.

A color blind society is the opposite of a "diverse" society and diversity is the opposite of equality. Color blind means that race, gender, nationality and sexual proclivities are irrelevant, and everyone is treated EQUALLY.

If the left was truly interested in a society of equality and color blindness, they would dump this destructive notion of "diversity" and get to work creating EXCELLENCE instead.

(which is a better chance a slim chance or a fat chance?)

0|2
    0|0
  • Well, diversity can bring many benefits to a community or society and I’m sure negatives as well. Diversity can bring new skills, medicines, perspectives, wisdom, etc. for a community, which can have a tremendously positive impact on growth. Diversity in certain contexts for the sake of diversity is not good in my opinion. You want diversity insofar as that diversity is sane, rational, and doesn’t believe in anything that harms human well-being. For example, you wouldn’t want people in your community or society if they believed gaining respect or entrance into manhood was acquired by killing strangers. You also wouldn’t want diversity in crucial fields like combat arms in the military, just for the sake of diversity. You’d want competent and qualified people who can do the job and increase effectiveness and efficiency. If you don’t have people who fit this description, they shouldn’t be doing such jobs that are crucial and high risk. Many individuals virtue signal diversity, without understanding the potential negatives.

0|0
    0|0
  • Diversity is such a broad topic to simplify it into just one answer. Lets look at certain things that diversity does separately.

For example lets take problem solving in general. Its sort of understood that people in the same culture have a similar thought pattern and ways to approach problems but to solve problems the best way is to have many different point of views and then combine that to find the best path forward.

Of course this is not limited to just race either. Having diversity in other areas also brings new insight into problem solving such as having both men and women, rich and poor, smart and dumb etc..

Mixing cultures also have beneficial qualities. There are plenty of example of this such as most holidays being a combination of various cultures and traditions or combination of food cultures. I for example am really thankful that I can eat both pizza, taco and sushi as well as combining foods into something new such as American pizza or fish and chips.

After that we can talk about genetic diversity. Having a more diverse gene pool means the population becomes more resistant towards illness and also get more good traits as a whole.

Last thing I want to talk about is simply my personal preference. I happen to like all races.

Be it how they look or how they choose to dress I find it fascinating and beautiful. Even if you are not like me who likes everything there will always be people who likes one or the other so having more diversity means more people can find what they like.

0|0
    0|4
  • Why is diversity so important?Why is diversity so important?

0|3
    1|0
  • This mainly:

Diversity means "less white people". Liberals will deny it, but it's easy to see if you're not a retard. Check this out:

90% black = "diverse". Not white + Asian + black + hispanic = "diverse". 90% of the same race is "diverse" - as long as they're not white.

Leftists say this openly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peF-ae2AINU

They want less white people in Europe and the US, and if you're against that they'll call you racist. They don't say this to any race but white people.

This is also why they encourage white people not to have children, to have more abortions, and then say that we need more immigration because white people don't have enough children:

Why is diversity so important?Why is diversity so important?

There are many many articles on how having children is bad for your relationship and for the environment. The large majority of them, barring a few exceptions, have only pictures of white people. Google this yourself and you'll see it.

These people are also writing Europeans out of their own history. Other things you should google:
    - American inventors
    - White couple
    - White woman with children
    - European history people
    - European people art
    - Happy American couple
    - White man and white woman

A few examples here when you google White American inventors:

European history people:

European people art:

White couple:

Notice a pattern? I could have linked many more if there weren't a 10 link limit.

0|0
    0|0
  • Diversity is great to be around because it takes us away from our echo chambers and allows us to learn from those who are different from what we may be accustomed to.

On top of that the more exposure you are to diversity the less likely you'll innocently give into stereotypes since you'll have enough diverse individuals within your social group to act as a mental reference to counteract harsh stereotypes. This in return can lead to accepting those who are different from yourself.

Also, diversity isn't just about race/ethnicity. Gender, age, social status, sexuality, nationality, religion, majors in college, political affiliation, etc are all things that contribute to diversity.

I live in Florida, which is by far one of the most diverse states, and I am grateful for being born here. I would rather live here than live in Montana where everybody looks and thinks the same.

0|1
    0|0
    • Fair enough. I can understand where you're coming from. Let me ask you this though. Would you ever shame someone who would just like to be around the people who are like them and everything? I personally don't find it rewarding to be diverse. I'm not at all shaming you for supporting it. That's your opinion. I'll never shame you for that. I would just like to ge around the same people like me. Is that okay? I would just prefer it that way. I'm not racist or hate anybody from different backgrounds I just prefer to be around my own. You know?

• As long as you don't treat those who are different from you with less respect as if they are inferior then no, I wouldn't shame you for wanting to be around those who are similar to you. At the end of the day, we are all individuals with our own preferences.

• Awesome! We've reached a reasonable middle ground. Wish more conversations were like this lmao. Thank you for your thoughts on my thread! 👍

• I've never once seen any kind of actual scientific study that demonstrates diversity increases performance in an organization.

For example, if I make hiring decisions based on race than I may placing race above competence. Your essentially optimizing the organizing for diversity rather than optimizing for the highest talent/skill level possible. How is a team of diversity optimized but mediocrity in talent good for an organization's competitive success in the market place?

0|2
    0|0
  • I -enjoy- that my city is diverse. Is it important? I don’t know. I like it partly because it’s not like diverse meaning half one group have another - there are lots of groups so lots of mixing.

As someone hiring I view it as a mild plus having a team with diverse backgrounds. I don’t really look for it, but my staff with eastern euro vs North American vs Asian upbringing and education tend to have slightly different strengths that were overlaid in their natural capabilities.

0|0
    0|0
  • Diversity is important because if you all have the same cultural background, you all hold the same beliefs, and the ideology, art, expression, is all very similar and redundant.

It's like genetic diversity. A small gene pool is problematic... you have no adaptability.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because it's the antidote to fearmongering propaganda. It lets you see that people may look different, like different things, practice different faiths, and so on. But they work just as hard, and they have to put up with the same BS as anyone else.

0|0
    0|1
  • It promotes interracial relationships and thus improves humanity's genetic diversity through our biracial children (genetic diversity is good)

0|0
    0|0
  • Diversity just means "not White" They just are trying to get rid of Whites. If a place has very few or no Whites they never complain that it needs diversity. They just hate White people.

0|0
    0|0
  • To increase the odds for human survival and advancement.

Cheers :)

0|0
    0|2
  • Because the government needs whites to hand over their wealth through affirmative action and other special allowances for certain minorities or there will be a revolt.

Big companies want to create "more customers".

Without the medias diversity push, whites will pay to much attention to certain minorities high crime, the wealth transfer I mentioned above and the destruction of their neighborhoods. Whites will revolt as well, attacking minorities.

The consequences of diversity for whites are grave but you are not allowed to say this.

The lowest crime most harmonious cultures in the world are non diverse and share the same culture, i. e. not multicultural. Diversity decreases neighborhood bonding as people with less in common socialize less.

0|2
    0|0
  • Just a talking point. Do not care either way either.

0|0
    0|0
  • Diversity a way of saying do as I say not as I do understand

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not important, not in the context it's usually used these days.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's SJW media that tells you that.

0|1
    0|0
  • Do you want the real answer?

0|2
    0|0
  • You must live it to understand it.

0|0
    0|1
    • People from outside will start incoming, if it doesn't exist.

• seems like youve already made up your mind about why it is. you dont like it. so why should you care why it is?

0|0
    0|1
    • you just seem like a triggered white man. you must be a republitard as i like to call them

• Aww poor thing. Got nothing better to do so you come onto my thread and try and insult me. I actually feel bad for you man. I know what it feels like to be sad and depressed once and awhile and wishing someone would give you attention. You'll be good! Hang in there 👍

• Infantilizing non-Whites seems to garner votes. I have to assume that's why some, especially those in elected positions, are so obsessed with race.

I'm White, and I currently live in a neighborhood that's over 90% Asian (mostly Chinese and especially Vietnamese immigrants), because it's far cheaper than living in the Whiter parts of town. The ironic thing is that far fewer Asian people give me shit for being White than other White people do.

0|1
    0|0
  • don't be fooled.

0|3
    0|0
  • The problem is diversity now means non-white but being liberal and probably a socialist.

Diversity can be a good thing if its diversity in thought and past experiences. These things are not tied to race or political belief.

0|3
    0|1

Recommended myTakes