Should women be required to sign up for the draft?

So the draft aka selective service is something all males 18-25 in the United States are legally required to sign up for. But at the current time women are not required to do so. Although there has not been a draft since 1973 during the Vietnam War in 2015 this issues came to light when all combat roles were opened up to qualified women. Originally it seemed pointless to have women included in the draft as they could not fight in combat positions but now since they can should they be required to sign up for the draft? Many are saying since women want equal rights they should have equal responsibilities and should have to sign up just as men do. Others are noting the fact that women are biologically weaker than men so they would not only be putting themselves in a larger amount of danger than a man in the same position but also putting the men and women around them at risk as well. Personally I've seen very compelling arguments for both sides so I'm on the fence. What do you think about this issuse? Should women have to sign up for the draft? If so why or why not?

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 47

• i think so. the registering for the draft does not mean you will necessarily ever be asked to serve it just makes you part of the database in the worst case scenario. even when the draft occurs people are required to pass a battery of exams and tests to determine capability.

so yes i think all US citizens should be required to register with selective services.

0|0
    0|1
  • Yes. If men have to then so do women. Not all men are fit enough for it and many were shamed if they didn't sign up during "important" wars (the easiest example is the white feather girls of britian during ww1 and briefly in ww2). Besides, most people truly unfit for combat won't be let in, even a draft has physical and mental standards, though that probably depends on who is winning the war.

I don't want anyone drafted, but if men are forced to submit to the draft for their freedom and right to vote than why should women be exempt? Some countries (like south korea) even have required military service where they need to enlist and serve for a year, but women dont have to. I see no reason for men to throw away their lives protecting women when we live in a day and age where women can protect themselves and their country. If women want to be protected like helpless sheep, then they need to return to being submissive. If they want independance and self control then they need to accept the pain and responsibility that comes with that.

0|0
    1|0
  • I don't think so. In the worst possible case where there isn't enough soldiers then having women being required to serve might be a good idea, but that is the worst possible scenario and is not very likely. Plus, I don't think women should necessarily serve in the army. If a woman does want to serve, I wouldn't stop her, but I do think she should be aware that it's more than just very tough training and the threat of death ever looming and all that, but personal hygiene too. From my knowledge of how the human body works, if a woman gets an infection in the wrong place, it can lead to some serious issues and they are more susceptible to such infections than men. Again, I wouldn't stop a woman if she wanted to serve, but they should certainly be aware that things such as hygiene could be a big issue.

Also, more than just that but only having males be on the draft is an easy way to get a bunch of new recruits into the army whilst also having enough people left behind to take care of families and help the military in other ways such as manufactoring, repairing vehicles and so fourth. You don't have to serve as a soldier and shoot a big gun to serve the military, there are other aspects and if you get a bunch men and women signing up, you will prboably end up with a situation where children will be left without parents because both their mother and father get killed.

I know this idea of absoloute equality in all aspects and women are just as capable of men and so fourth is a nice idea that makes you feel all warm inside and I would probably come off as the bad guy in this argument, but tihnking about it practically and logically, when you think about everything, families, hygiene, etc, it probably just isn't a good idea.

0|0
    0|1
    • 4d

And I don't mean to imply that women aren't as capable as men, that technically isn't true but I'm not getting into all that, I just mea it in the sense of women saying "we can do anything men can do" without thinking about everything practically and reasonably.

• 100% yes, or they should lose the right to vote.

Rights without responsibility is bullshit and women, generally speaking, need to get off their entitled asses and contribute more than "vagina" to society.

Same go's for Taxation, if you don't pay your taxes you should not be allowed to vote..

0|0
    0|0
  • No, and neither should men. A draft is nothing but a declaration by the state that politicians own the people and can dispose of them in any way that they want.

2|2
    0|0
  • women in the uk are now allowed to fight on the front line but should the draft even exist? well im glad it doesn't here. it should be personal choice to decide whether or not one wants to risk having your legs blown off in some pointles proxxy war in the middle east

0|0
    0|0
  • They should have to do exactly what men are required to do and with all the consequences of not doing it. So either everyone signs up, or no one, but no more gender discrimination when it comes to the draft.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't think so. Some of the best women marry soldiers who go to war and get killed.
    So if the best women also went to war and get killed then the whole country has to rebuild from the crap left over.

0|1
    2|0
  • You can't send a person to war if they are not a warrior. Drafts for military service don't work, drafted for non combative operations, that is very useful, and necessary. Could be disaster relief, a good example.

0|0
    0|0
  • No one should be forced to sign that stupid law as it completely infringes on our personal liberties and individual rights.

I never did. Don't know how I got past it but I did.

0|1
    0|0
  • The draft should be done away with all together. If enough people dont volunteer to serve then the war being fought should not be fought. Seems simple to me.

0|0
    0|0
  • The idea if a draft is ridiculous. Should be completely voluntary like the UK. However, if WWIII broke out then I think conscription would return sadly.

0|0
    0|0
  • What for? Why is it better for the military to have women soldiers? Are we short of healthy, strong men in the country?

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. If they are potentially filling combat roles they should have to sign for draft, assuming anyone does.
    It is then the decision of the military how they use their resources.

0|0
    0|0
  • How is this enforced? Can anybody tell me? We don't have it here, so is this done automatically when you get to 18, or what?

0|0
    0|0
  • I’ve heard about women doing this. I’ve even heard rumors that women were going to have to sign up for the draft but I’ve haven’t heard anything about it for awhile until you asked the question.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nobody should be drafted since it's involuntary servitude, a. k. a, slavery with a heft chance of being maimed/killed.

1|0
    0|0
  • Everyone should be allowed (if able), nobody should be required. In other words: everyone can, nobody has to.

0|0
    0|0
  • I signed up for the draft during the war on terror and never got drafted.
    I don't think it's important like that.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think the whole draft thing is communictic. I many ways adore USA, but I don't think that's in line with my image about USA.

0|0
    0|0
  • women should be beaten into submission
    and beaten again if they fall out of line

what do we need women for war?
    just stay in your place

0|0
    4|0
    • 4d

Nice troll

• Show All
    • 4d

@Ellie-V

stop trying to switch the subject dumby
      accept reality

• 4d

I addressed your arguments head on, so... not sure why you thought I was switching the subject 😂

The reality is that women and men should hold equal responsibility. Starting with women being drafted just like the boys. One gender should not have to suffer the consequences of war or ANYTHING in life while the rest sit back and do nothing but be cheerleaders. That’s just lazy and entitled behavior. Both of which I do not condone in anyone regardless of what body parts you have.

• Now that women may be placed in combat positions, yes, they should.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes... if they want equal rights, that should be part of it..

0|1
    0|0
  • If they want to be truly equal in rights and responsibilities then yes. If not then no

0|0
    0|0
  • No, I think it's good that men have ONE place where they can be alone.

0|0
    0|1
  • Yes, if anyone must, then everyone must. If that bothers you, eliminate selective service.

0|0
    0|0
  • Draft shouldn't exist period. Military service should be a choice.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, no one should be drafted. The draft is slavery.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. Most women aren't fit for military, so it is unnecessary and will over flood the system.

0|0
    0|0
  • Regardless, women should join their local workers militia.

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 15

• No one should get drafted at all. It's stupid. If someone wants to fight for their country that's great but they shouldn't be forced. We shouldn't have soldiers who don't even care to be there or to fight for their country, they're only going to do it because they were forced and drafted.

4|2
    1|0
  • I think that women that plan to bear children should be exempt. I was considering joining the military but one reason I decided against it is because I want to be perfectly healthy and able to carry a child with no difficulties caused by potential injuries.

I'm all for signing up for the draft as long as we can keep our population good.

0|0
    0|0
  • yes it be fair to but i understand that its just out of tradition that their not forced too. Would this be emmbarsing for a guy to have ie at the end of their name? ↗ that is my question

0|0
    0|0
  • I have no stance on this issue as I have not put in much thought to it, but another factor to consider is to have the population bounce back to normal after a war devastates our numbers. One man can have countless children in a year; women average one, and therefore it is more neccessary to have more women when a war is ober as opposed to men, as demonstrated by the baby boomer generation.

0|0
    0|0
    • 4d

Well you see that sexism. Even thought i agree to your argument, its solid by the way. Its hard to realy support it since its not that fair, woman trying to get in male jobs ceo, stem and so on. While screaming sexism at every oportunity, and at the same time using biological advantige to not get drafted. Look whats happened with boy scouts. Woman are trying to destroy everything that is man only, with its sexism not allowe woman to same thing to, but use sexism to get away from things they dont want.

Ps. I dont realy care about woman in draft, but your argument, is diferent story. Its true to bone, but goosh what shit storm would it be if a man would use simular logic.

• 4d

Apparently looking at a woman is sexism and rape, so let my comment be sexist

• Rights and obligations must be give according to one's abilities. That is why we don't give people certain rights and obligations until a certain age That is why we have sports divided according to the gender. Women don't need to sign for that, but they could be required to sign for other things they would do better. I mean, let's be honest, the majority would not be that useful. However, in apocalypse scenario, everyone should fight to defend the country.

0|0
    0|0
  • I, personally, don't want anyone to be required to go.

I don't want to go, I don't want the men I love to go. :,(

0|0
    0|0
  • In countries where there’s conscription of some sort they should be, yes.

0|0
    0|0
  • NO. Women traditionally stay home and help with kids, etc. Sure, if they want to, fine, but they should not be made to.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it should be required

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope. It won’t happen either lmao

0|0
    0|1
  • No I don’t think so. Men are more capable.

0|0
    0|1
  • I think both genders should have the opputunity to. BUT there should be a test to see who is capable of doing that job. And there should be no force on becoming one of the draft

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes but the draft is unnecessary and outdated as no one get drafted anymore. If the government needed personnel they'd draft anyone of military age regardless.

0|0
    0|1
  • While I don’t like to admit it, we are definetly a brains over brawn gender. I would never be ok if chosen to go to war. I would literally die the first few seconds on the battlefield...

0|0
    0|0
    • 4d

I refuse to wield a gun

• If a man is capable of serving, so should a female!

We want equal rights, jobs, and pay like men? I'm okay with serving my country if I have to! I might not be as strong as most men, but I'll be damned if I don't at least -try- to prove my worth if need be.

0|0
    0|0
    • 4d

Prove your worth? 😂 You would die for some politician? Have you ever noticed only America ever seems to be at war. I wonder why that is. I'm sure there are no political interests involved.

Recommended myTakes