Do you think women should be required to sign up for the draft?

(I already asked this question but I wanted to include a poll this time)

So the draft aka selective service is something all males 18-25 in the United States are legally required to sign up for. But at the current time women are not required to do so. Although there has not been a draft since 1973 during the Vietnam War in 2015 this issues came to light when all combat roles were opened up to qualified women. Originally it seemed pointless to have women included in the draft as they could not fight in combat positions but now since they can should they be required to sign up for the draft? Many are saying since women want equal rights they should have equal responsibilities and should have to sign up just as men do. Others are noting the fact that women are biologically weaker than men so they would not only be putting themselves in a larger amount of danger than a man in the same position but also putting the men and women around them at risk as well. Personally I've seen very compelling arguments for both sides so I'm on the fence. What do you think about this issue? Should women have to sign up for the draft? If so why or why not?

(Sidenote: Something I noticed on my other question is that people were saying we should get rid of the draft altogether but realistically this is not possible. As in a time of need when more soldiers are necessary than the ones already available selective service is vital or we will loose).
  • Yes (I'm a man)
    Vote A
  • No (I'm a man)
    Vote B
  • Yes (I'm a women)
    Vote C
  • No (I'm a women)
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
5d
I messed up sorry the first ‘No (I’m a women’ is supposed to be ‘No (I’m a man)’ super sorry for the mistake

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 15

• In January 1981, 38 years ago, I turned 18. Within 30 days, I was required to register for "selective service" (the draft) or otherwise I would be disqualified from receiving financial aid for college. (*)
    That law is still in effect.
    www.finaid.org/students/selectiveservice.phtml

I resented that a bit for two reasons:
    1. I leaned toward being a conscientious objector in 1981.
    2. It was unfair because girls didn't have this draft requirement for their financial aid.

Still, I was OK with it because I accepted the implicit sexism, but also realized that, back then, women were not in combat positions anyway. The draft is needed to recruit combat soldiers during war.

As I mentioned in the previous question, now that women are capable of being placed into combat positions, the situation between men and women has been equalized considerably and, whatever draft laws apply to men should now be applicable to women.

(*) I believe that Selective Service registration as a requirement for college financial aid is a violation of the 10th Amendment as South Dakota argued in "South Dakota v. Dole". South Dakota lost that case but that was because of the connection between highway funding and driving and alcohol, so Congress was warranted in creating the National Minimum Drinking Age Act in 1984. However, with Selective Service, there is no plausible connection with college financial aid other than direct coercion which is a violation of the 10th Amendment:
    "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

0|1
    0|0
  • Hell no!
    Women are suitable for only a small number of rear echelon jobs.
    There is no place for women at the pointy end, because 1) they are a liability on the front line and 2) the reproductive potential of women is too valuable to piss it away in the meat grinder of war.
    The army is not the Girl Scouts with guns FFS.

0|1
    0|0
  • I feel like I just answered this.

But this shouldn't be in effect for anyone. This law violates our personal liberties and individual rights.

I never signed it, and I seem to be in the clear. I wouldn't go to war if they made me. I don't fight for the government, the government is supposed to fight for me. And unless are borders are breached and I volunteer to aid in thr defense of the nation, I ain't doing shit.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think they should have to sign up to suck at least one dick a day. Then every man could get blowed every day and the world would be a wonderful place. There would never be another war, murder, bank robbery, etc because all the men would be too chill to do any of that.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes since women have equal rights they should have equal duties, also being weaker is not much of a excuse, women can get easier missions in the army.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think service by requirement is a good strategy, volunteer forces are usually of way better quality

0|0
    0|0
    • 5d

Yes they are but in a time where more soldiers are needed selective service is necessary

• 5d

Ah yes, in that case both should serve, with firearms anyone can be lethal, so the fact guys can run a little farther makes a small difference, in the real deal you just stay in cover and fire away

• Absotuley not. Women aren't meant to fight. Her body isn't made for that.

0|0
    1|0
  • I don't.
    Female soldiers don't perform as effective as male soldiers.

0|0
    0|0
  • its a thing...

0|0
    0|0
  • Yep.

0|0
    0|0
  • If we are to be 100% equals , then you bet so baby

0|0
    0|1
  • If feminists were serious about equality they would all heavily agree with women being drafted, but you know their a bunch of hypocrites that secretly hate men, and yes if men are forced to join women should too, why should men be forced to die and not women? Why are women’s lives more important than men’s?

0|0
    0|0
  • Equality is a bitch. Let them die and lose limbs like the men.. I have no sympathy fr tamales anymre

0|0
    0|0
  • Well if its strictly mandatory for men and believe me when men get ridiculed for not joining, then women need to see that right to since 80% of women these days have preached about “equality “ one way or another

0|0
    0|0
  • Women are more fodder than fighter

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 4

• If there is to be an army, it should be a People's army, that represents the country they serve.

0|0
    0|0
  • If men are women should too. Equality has its downsides. Personally i think the draft is dumb

0|0
    0|0
  • I voted no, because no one should no matter your gender

0|0
    0|0
  • no. i just think no one should be required to instead of everyone being required to.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes