Why are darker skinned people tend to be more colorist?

Like they are so obsessed with skin color but then blame other light skinned people/races and try to put them down. Before anyone wants to attack me, I'm one of the people of color. I have been bullied by a lot of self-hatred dark-skinned men and women all my life just because I am lighter. I am not saying all darker people are bad, nor that I think I am superior but I have experienced so many bad things with them. I have been called a roach by some men who are 5 shades darker than me. I also have one girl who came to me saying "you are not that cute" when I never mention that I am beautiful.

1|0

Most Helpful Guys

• In black American culture, there is a colorist issue in which lighter-complexion black American are treated better in a positive way than those of darker complexion.

If a darker-complexion person of an ethnicity has been treated inferior by lighter-skinned peers of the same ethnicity, I can see that person lashing out more often when treated unfavorably.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because we live in a society where people with lighter skin are thought of as more beautiful, and in some parts of the world, more capable.

I lived in Asia when I was a child and this was very, very prevalent there. If you were fair-skinned, you were thought to be more beautiful, more capable, more talented, more likely to marry and succeed. If you were dark-skinned, well, you have to try a lot harder to be seen as anywhere near approaching that level. People don't want to straight out say that "Oh, you're fair, so you're lovely. Oh, you're dark, so you're ugly." But that exists everywhere in Asia, from the neon advertising on highways to the adverts you get hit with at the movie theater.

So, imagine the plight of someone with darker skin going through all that. Having to live under all of that just because they were "unlucky" in the genetic lottery. They can't change the color of their skin. It's also impossible for them to individually change how society treats fair-skinned and dark-skinned folk differently. So, while I will never condone open bullying and harassment by anyone, I can understand - and empathize - with the frustration of having to grow up in a culture like that.

0|0
    0|0
    • 7d

The thing is many of them project their insecurity on other people and want us to feel the same. It is not fair for lighter skin people. We can't choose our skin color.

• 7d

You can't. Neither can they.

Their insecurities are also there for a reason. It didn't suddenly pop up in a vacuum.
      Just like how I don't blame women for being insecure about their looks, similarly, I don't blame dark-skinned people for being insecure about the shade of their skin.

Women didn't just HAPPEN to magically become insecure about their looks, nor did darker skinned people magically one day wake up and decide to become insecure about the shade of their skin color.

The intersectionalities of race, power, beauty, and everything else has a role to play in that. It is not 100% internal.

Does that excuse bullying, harassment, and assault? No.
      But those sitting in the more privileged position should be able to empathize with what those sitting on the less privileged end are experiencing.

• 7d

I mean I understand their frustration but a lot of them act out of control and make themselves look pathetic. Like I have one dark skinned girl calling me dark when she saw me wearing a nice dress. I find it to be hilarious because she knows she is darker than me. It is like she hates herself and wants me to feel the same way.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 4

• I was just thinking the same thing this afternoon! For people that supposedly hate segregation, they SURE DO profess it all the time!!
    I passed a woman's clothing shop today and they sell clothes that are designed for black women. In the window, they had a t-shirt on display with a glittery picture of Mohammed Ali on the entire front of the shirt. I wondered, what girl would want to walk around with that on her shirt? Okay, it's for black women, it's a picture of a black guy, a famous black boxer. But, why does everything have to be about black people? Praise him, if you will, but what's wrong with just praising HIM, the man, just because he was a hero to a lot of people, NOT just because he was a BLACK hero to a lot of people. The singer in my band was black, it was his band. Over the 25 years that I was in the band, we had at least 3 other black people in the band. I couldn't give a rats ass about what colour they were, I was only interested in their musical ability! white people (maybe not all, but a lot of us) are trying to be inclusive of them, but they go out of their way to make EVERYTHING about being black!! THEN they bitch at US because things are hard for THEM because they're black!! To me, you're just another human being. You just happen to have darker skin. Same goes for women! You're just another human being, you just happen to be female. some people have 4 or 5 dogs of both genders and various breeds, but they treat them ALL the same way!! They don't treat the black ones different from the whites or the browns or the females different from the males, but when it comes to their fellow man, each one must be treated differently according to their race or gender! Gender, I can see why men treat women different, in most cases they aren't as strong as us and need help once in a while but, other than that, there's really not much difference.

0|0
    0|0
    • 7d

I don't get it why they think it is okay for them to push their frustration to other lighter skin people.

• 6d

And why they expect to have everything handed to them. I'm not getting any hand-outs and I'm barely able to pay my bills! But they have $200.00 shoes, jewelry out the ass, cars, etc.. A lot of them get jobs but refuse to work at them. I bust ass at my jobs, but nobody will hire me because they have to hire blacks first! They have a quota to fill! I thought you got jobs on your qualifications and work ethics, not your skin colour!

• Because that's the social political climate now. The media hasn't helped at all. Everyone that feels like a minority and feels mistreated are more outspoken, and today's climate due to events for the past couple of years have fueled that.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because most SJWs would be okay with any shit that non-white people do.

0|0
    0|0
  • I love pale girls, light skin girls

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 0

Be the first girl to share an opinion
and earn 1 more Xper point!

Recommended myTakes