How representative is your capital city of the rest of your country?

In terms of demography, social attitudes, ethnicity, education etc?

• Very representative
  • Quite representative
  • Not very representative
    Vote C
  • Not remotely representative
    Vote D

826

Most Helpful Girls

• London is not remotely representative of either England or the UK

• It's hard to say since the U. S. is so huge. Generally speaking though, cities here tend to be one way and rural areas are totally different. I grew up and currently live in a rural small town. D. C. is not remotely similar to the demographics of those who live in my town or other towns in rural America. I do think it is similar/representative of other cities I've visited though (and the city I briefly lived in).

Most Helpful Guys

• Let's put it this way: the sort of second mayor of Amsterdam said he is for a Republic of Amsterdam if the rest of the country votes for Wilders. Additionally, it's statistically proven that the further away you get from Amsterdam, the less left-wing people vote. Politically it's completely different from the rest of the country, except for the Randstad (major area in North and South Holland).

In terms of ethnicity, over 50% of Amsterdam is allochtoon. It's a word we use to name someone whose ethnicity is from elsewhere outside of the Netherlands, but even multiple generations away. The percentage in the totality of the nation is about 20-25%.

Politics are not centered in Amsterdam. However, most of the politicians are from the Randstad (=Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Utrecht, The Hague).

• 5d

Additional outroar: the new mayor of Amsterdam basically said they would sort of ignore law made by the national parliament, which the parliament generally found outrageous. They thought Amsterdam can't just pick laws to enforce and ignore others

• 5d

Took me a few minutes to think of another. Most people don't know what country it's even in.

• 5d

@ericclayton No, you're right.

• Washington DC doesn't represent much of America. IN many ways it is like a lot of inner cities, but has no representation of rural culture or ideology. It votes like 97% Democrat as opposed to more even split in the rest of the country (although the majority of Americans are political independents). Ethnicity, it really depends where you are, I guess you could call it somewhat diverse.